09/06/23 - Lexington, KY - Rupp Arena

downzy

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not just the baritone vocals, it's the calmer or more relaxed delivery of the vocals starting around 5:20 fits the song so much better than the falsetto voice. Wish he'd sing it like that all the time. The "I'm out here all alone" part sounds great. Night and day compared to the first video that pops up on youtube when I searched "gnr estranged 2023" (which was from Vigo)

Exactly and the reason why he sounds calmer is because he uses the baritone voice. That's why he's not struggling with his voice. He can sing it all so effortlessly when he uses the baritone voice.

That's a big reason why I prefer the baritone voice as well. It's not enjoyable to hear someone struggling with his voice. The baritone voice is so much more effortless and strong.

Like someone else said, it also gives Axl flexibility so that he can improvise more and sing things a bit differently when he's not stuggling with his voice.

But there are some people who prefer it when Axl at least tries to hit the right notes even if he sounds weaker that way. Unfortunately Axl himself seems to be one of those people.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

Seriously, he sounds amazing when he sings in the low voice. He allows himself a lot more flexibility and is able to change up the melody too and makes it way more interesting to hear. It’s like discovering an  unheard vocal take on these old songs.

in Estranged, my fav bits:

The way he sings “too many times to make it home. I’m out here all alone” is blowing my mind lol

the sustained depth of the octave at 6:54

he brought a great energy to the final verse too. “this TIME!”

He could tour for many more years (and sound WAY BETTER) if he just stuck to this strategy and rarely use any rasp. Completely kill Mickey.

The change in melody there was absolutely beautiful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChristianGNR said:

It’s like putting Eddie Vedder (and I love PJ) to sing GN’R

So as a PJ and GNR fan, you claim you’d rather listen to cartoon character singing GNR songs than to listen to Eddie Vedder singing GNR songs? 

• Like 1

He's been struggling this USA tour with his voice, either from age, strain or illness but this is happening more frequently now! London last year etc. If anything good can come from it, perhaps the concern (he's clearly distressed on stage at times) may force him to try and fix it, get help, change styles etc...

3 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

What's Axl on? Don't know if it's the best but that's the most listenable Estranged has been since the 90s!! Close your eyes at moments and....

He had some great Estranged performances in 2016 too, but I get your Point. 

As for the dynamic... Yes, some of it gets lost with this baritone voice. But I really like it and he seems way more comfortable with that. Easy going through the songs that way...  Mickey should be buried indeed!

Edited by ZODIAC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChristianGNR said:

In my opinion, Mickey does not sound good, but full baritone kills the dynamics of how Guns N’ Roses songs were composed and meant to be sung. It’s like putting Eddie Vedder (and I love PJ) to sing GN’R or playing guitar without Overdrive pedal 

Do you really prefer having Herbert the Pervert and Mickey Mouse singing those songs instead of Eddie Vedder?

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

He had some great Estranged performances in 2016 too, but I get your Point. 

As for the dynamic... Yes, some of it gets lost with this baritone voice. But I really like it and he seems way more comfortable with that. Easy going through the songs that way...  Mickey should be buried indeed!

Yeah, I like the baritone voice but it definitely takes away some of the “energy” of the song. It could also be  the fact that when he sings that way he seems to be doing it kind of nonchalantly and it comes across that way. Maybe do it with a little more intensity and it’d come across better. 

Side note: Listening to Estranged with headphones on just reminded me how great Slash did with the guitar parts when they made this song. :slash:

• Like 1