06/27/23 - Glasgow, GB - Bellahouston Park

downzy

1 hour ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I had a good time. Did you?

Last night was my first time in a golden circle. I stood at the back.

My body aches.

Flew back to London and went straight to work on 3hrs sleep. I feel awful and I'm still not home yet. Worth every minute and penny. The front of GC was wicked for the best part. Few duds that killed the mood abit but didn't hinder the quality of the night by any means.

Oh, and someone in my hostel dorm stunk of piss.

Edited by kanecrescente
  • Haha 1

Just now, Voodoochild said:

That was the best Street of Dreams since the reunion by far. And Richard's playing was excellent on this one.

I agree, best performance of SOD by Axl since the reunion, this song shows how good Axl's vocal form is on this tour. And many thought, including me, that he would never be able to sing this song again.

Edited by We love Axl Rose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kanecrescente said:

Flew back to London and went straight to work on 3hrs sleep. I feel awful and I'm still not home yet. Worth every minute and penny. The front of GC was wicked for the best part. Few duds that killed the mood a bit but didn't hinder the quality of the night by any means.

Oh, and someone in my hostel dorm stunk of piss.

What was flying like?

My friend and I caught a coach there and back.

It was laid back at the back of the golden circle. I'm not surprised the front was bouncing.

Two fans were carried out of general admission behind me. One during Sweet Child O' Mine and I can't remember which other song.

Unfortunately a man ahead of me was pelted with a cup of something from general admission. Fortunately he was wearing a poncho.

What was your favourite song of the evening?

32 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

What was flying like?

My friend and I caught a coach there and back.

It was laid back at the back of the golden circle. I'm not surprised the front was bouncing.

Two fans were carried out of general admission behind me. One during Sweet Child O' Mine and I can't remember which other song.

Unfortunately a man ahead of me was pelted with a cup of something from general admission. Fortunately he was wearing a poncho.

What was your favourite song of the evening?

I drifted further away slightly as the show went on from getting drinks but thought the golden circle was very big this year. Apart from getting up extremely early each morning, flying was easy! 1hr20 flight there and back. How long was the drive? It allowed me to just make it to work on time so served its purpose. The parking at the airport was what done me in, £80 for 1 night😂

My favourites of the night I'd say were Bad Obsession, Reckless Life for the slip & I'd add Absurd to it as well, seeing Axl's nuances up close for it is hilarious, especially the samples. He was really riling up the crowd during it, they all seem to give it their all.

Edited by kanecrescente
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

I agree, best performance of SOD by Axl since the reunion, this song shows how good Axl's vocal form is on this tour. And many thought, including me, that he would never be able to sing this song again.

As far as range, I think it's one of the most challenging song to sing. The fact that he even attempted to go to the high note on "only memories" shows that he was more confident. 

Of course, not talking about rasp, chest voice or anything like that. From the technical perspective, I think he did pretty good.

• Like 2

Just now, Powderfinger said:

How were the Pretenders for those who were there? 

Better than I’d expected TBF. Not really a fan and I only saw latter half of the set but they sounded good as a unit and Hyndes vocals were bang-on.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kanecrescente said:

How long was the drive?

Five hours going and even longer coming back because there was traffic on the motorway and there was an police incident in Manchester.

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

How were the Pretenders for those who were there? 

I enjoyed them.

I only knew a few songs. One of their newer ones gets played daily on the radio. Let The Sun Come In.

1 hour ago, gibbinson said:

Was Rocket Queen 72 mins long again? 

There was a moment during Slash's solo before the slide part where his face would appear on the big screen as part of the robot's skull. I thought that was a cool visual.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Finally home, and here's my 'rather too long' review for anyone who wants to wade through it. I wrote it as if I was writing for people not using this forum but some sort of general news source. 

Attend a Kiss concert anywhere in the world and you'll witness the same phenomenon. Clad head to toe in the iconic Kiss logo fans will flock to see the face paint, the glitter, explosions and sparkles.....and 'Rock N Roll All Night', 'Crazy Nights' and 'God Gave Rock N Roll To You'. Serve them up anything else and they'll politely applaud, gasp at the bright lights and wait for those songs. Kiss are a brand. You'll slap their stuff all over your body, but the music? Ah, that's optional. Take it or or leave it. 

In a world where social-media hyperbole trumps lived experience ("OMG it was the best thing EVAAAH!!! Check out my socials for all the vids!) it's not hard to see the appeal to people of wanting in on a brand. GNR seem the latest victims/beneficiaries of this. 

No-one in the venue is without something GNR related. Be it a hat, shirt, bandana or self-modified jacket, the place is swamped. You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a band with simply hordes of devoted fans hanging on every note, watching every setlist, devouring and debating every note. Until the band play a song that you might not hear in a Saturday night bar. 

With Golden Circle tickets topping out around the £200 mark it's simply inexplicable why a sea of blank faces greet a song such as "Pretty Tied Up". A front central location in said Golden Circle should absolutely guarantee immunity from comments such as "I don't know any of these songs", "I've never heard this before" and "I hope they play some we know soon". With a remarkably slender back catalogue, who are these people that will shell out a couple of days working wages, yet haven't had the time or inclination to listen to the band's albums? 

At times, you can see the band's frustration. Slash's muttered "oh, come on!" at the tepid reaction to their latest AC/DC cover and Axl's jovial but pointed jibing at someone clapping "like a golf fan" mask an awareness that the audience has changed, even in the relatively short time since the 2016 reunion. 

Not that the band let this touch them though, as they plough through a set designed to enthrall the niche component of the audience. There's a genuine joy to them ripping through 'Reckless Life" and "Shadow Of Your Love" at breakneck speed simply because they want to. The band sound tighter than ever, energised and enthusiastic, howling, screaming, scratching and thrashing in a manner that seemed long gone just a year ago. Axl continues his complete personality shift as he laughs, jokes and dedicates himself fully. A near slip and fall on a wet monitor draws a joke, when once it would have been a mike throw, a rant at the crew and possibly a stage exit. The moment embodies the remarkable shift in the man. 

A double bill of 'Sweet Child O'Mine' and 'November Rain' gives the crowd the dopamine dose they want, as 34,968 people watch it through their camera phones. Choosing not to do so marks you out as a minority dinosaur from a past of cigarette lighters where "living in the moment" was never uttered. Reams could be written on the phonemem of disengagement phones have caused, but they're here to stay and all one can do is speculate as to what people do with their vast amounts of poorly recorded videos. 

With semi-new (a long story that anyone on a GNR forum can doubtless bore you to tears with) material soundchecked, it is a slight disappointment to a core few that nothing is played. An argument exists that GNR don't "need" to do anything new, something that seems borne out entirely by tonight. Oddly, the divisive semi-new "Absurd" gets heads nodding slightly thanks to it's punky and passionate performance, but the unnecessary nature of GNR playing it is clear to see. The crowd would be absolutely happy for the band to hit them with 5 or 6 'biggies' and roll off into the night. Hitting them with unreleased material would be like gifting your elderly Grandmother an XBox Series X. Not only unnecessary but potentially annoying and frustrating. 

As the encore plays out with a politely received but exceptionally well played 'Street Of Dreams'  ("I hope they play 'Patience' next") the die is really cast; here is a band who still don't give too much of a fuck, in the best possible way. You want one you know? Well.... here's one you SHOULD know. It's the band GNR fans fell in love with, operating at total odds to current trends and culture. 

Sure, their transition from 'band' to 'brand' is virtually complete now, but it's almost out of their hands. A victim of nostalgia, passivity and changing tastes in media and let's face it, F'N iconic logos and type fonts, GNR are the new Kiss.....but as long as no-one tells them that, they're still the greatest band in the world. 

Very interesting take, thank you for sharing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Finally home, and here's my 'rather too long' review for anyone who wants to wade through it. I wrote it as if I was writing for people not using this forum but some sort of general news source. 

Attend a Kiss concert anywhere in the world and you'll witness the same phenomenon. Clad head to toe in the iconic Kiss logo fans will flock to see the face paint, the glitter, explosions and sparkles.....and 'Rock N Roll All Night', 'Crazy Nights' and 'God Gave Rock N Roll To You'. Serve them up anything else and they'll politely applaud, gasp at the bright lights and wait for those songs. Kiss are a brand. You'll slap their stuff all over your body, but the music? Ah, that's optional. Take it or or leave it. 

In a world where social-media hyperbole trumps lived experience ("OMG it was the best thing EVAAAH!!! Check out my socials for all the vids!) it's not hard to see the appeal to people of wanting in on a brand. GNR seem the latest victims/beneficiaries of this. 

No-one in the venue is without something GNR related. Be it a hat, shirt, bandana or self-modified jacket, the place is swamped. You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a band with simply hordes of devoted fans hanging on every note, watching every setlist, devouring and debating every note. Until the band play a song that you might not hear in a Saturday night bar. 

With Golden Circle tickets topping out around the £200 mark it's simply inexplicable why a sea of blank faces greet a song such as "Pretty Tied Up". A front central location in said Golden Circle should absolutely guarantee immunity from comments such as "I don't know any of these songs", "I've never heard this before" and "I hope they play some we know soon". With a remarkably slender back catalogue, who are these people that will shell out a couple of days working wages, yet haven't had the time or inclination to listen to the band's albums? 

At times, you can see the band's frustration. Slash's muttered "oh, come on!" at the tepid reaction to their latest AC/DC cover and Axl's jovial but pointed jibing at someone clapping "like a golf fan" mask an awareness that the audience has changed, even in the relatively short time since the 2016 reunion. 

Not that the band let this touch them though, as they plough through a set designed to enthrall the niche component of the audience. There's a genuine joy to them ripping through 'Reckless Life" and "Shadow Of Your Love" at breakneck speed simply because they want to. The band sound tighter than ever, energised and enthusiastic, howling, screaming, scratching and thrashing in a manner that seemed long gone just a year ago. Axl continues his complete personality shift as he laughs, jokes and dedicates himself fully. A near slip and fall on a wet monitor draws a joke, when once it would have been a mike throw, a rant at the crew and possibly a stage exit. The moment embodies the remarkable shift in the man. 

A double bill of 'Sweet Child O'Mine' and 'November Rain' gives the crowd the dopamine dose they want, as 34,968 people watch it through their camera phones. Choosing not to do so marks you out as a minority dinosaur from a past of cigarette lighters where "living in the moment" was never uttered. Reams could be written on the phonemem of disengagement phones have caused, but they're here to stay and all one can do is speculate as to what people do with their vast amounts of poorly recorded videos. 

With semi-new (a long story that anyone on a GNR forum can doubtless bore you to tears with) material soundchecked, it is a slight disappointment to a core few that nothing is played. An argument exists that GNR don't "need" to do anything new, something that seems borne out entirely by tonight. Oddly, the divisive semi-new "Absurd" gets heads nodding slightly thanks to it's punky and passionate performance, but the unnecessary nature of GNR playing it is clear to see. The crowd would be absolutely happy for the band to hit them with 5 or 6 'biggies' and roll off into the night. Hitting them with unreleased material would be like gifting your elderly Grandmother an XBox Series X. Not only unnecessary but potentially annoying and frustrating. 

As the encore plays out with a politely received but exceptionally well played 'Street Of Dreams'  ("I hope they play 'Patience' next") the die is really cast; here is a band who still don't give too much of a fuck, in the best possible way. You want one you know? Well.... here's one you SHOULD know. It's the band GNR fans fell in love with, operating at total odds to current trends and culture. 

Sure, their transition from 'band' to 'brand' is virtually complete now, but it's almost out of their hands. A victim of nostalgia, passivity and changing tastes in media and let's face it, F'N iconic logos and type fonts, GNR are the new Kiss.....but as long as no-one tells them that, they're still the greatest band in the world. 

Very well written, great review.

I've had a thought, maybe Slash looks kind of bored and noodles through the solos because he knows that a lot of people in the front are only there for the hits? They won't know that he's not playing the solos like on the record. Compared to SMKC where most of the people up front are more serious fans who know all the songs.

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Slash's muttered "oh, come on!" at the tepid reaction to their latest AC/DC cover

Can you elaborate on this?

• Like 1