06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

I don't really get the 'wrong band to headline Glastonbury' narrative. I'm assuming its a UK artist exclusive slot?

Anywho, I just checked it out and I was hella impressed. Axl seemed to kick it up a gear in many places, both in vocals and general movements. Its like he knew he was on the world stage and wanted to prove the naysayers wrong, and he certainly did. That "you know that you" at the end of You Could Be Mine was intense. Sure his vocals were occasionally patchy but he was on point for most of the night. 

I saw some reviews saying that the crowd seemed dead at times. Thats just crowds in general nowadays. But that Glastonbury crowd really came alive. 

Edited by twistoflemon21
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, GnRMisterE said:

Hi. Long time lurker, VERY infrequent poster.

I just thought I'd weigh into this topic based on a conversation I've just had with a friend.

He's not a GnR fan but had read all of the reviews regarding Saturday's performance and Axl's voice. So, he decided to listen to the concert on BBC Sounds just to see how bad it was and he really can't see what the fuss is about. In his words "they sound like Guns n Roses... Nothing wrong with it... It's the most I've enjoyed them".

Now, I know that the band are a lot older and Axl isn't 27 anymore, so I watched on Saturday expecting the worst. However, it wasn't as bad as I thought although there were periods where I did cringe.

But, on my lunch hour, I decided to listen to the show on the BBC Sounds app (without the video), and I have to say, he is 100% correct - it does sound like GnR. Granted, I've only got up to PTU, but honestly, if someone had told me it was from the UYI tour, I would potentially have believed them. I've certainly got bootlegs from the 90s where they sound a lot worse.

I don't really know what to conclude from that other than by watching old men, is our brain being told that they must sound like old men?? 🤣

I've yet to listen to some of the more challenging songs, so I'll reserve total judgement until I have, but I am certainly surprised how good the audio sounds so far.

Also, with regards to the baiting Axl has got over his vocals, I caught a few sets over the weekend and neither Elton, Alex Turner, Dave Grohl, Debbie Harry, James Dean Bradfield, Ian Brodie, Billy Idol (yada yada yada) sound like they did when they were 25 but none are getting the excessive amount of flack that Axl does.

Unfortunately, I feel it will always be thus.

I mused that Axl's now older than Robert Plant was when I first saw him live when I was a kid (2005 and he was 57 then) and understandably he didn't sound exactly like he did in Zeppelin's heyday. Indeed, Plant was 59 when Zeppelin did the reunion show in 2007 and a lot of the songs were detuned a whole step. Axl's still singing songs in the original key night after night so I'm not surprised he's not sounding like he did in his prime. I think Glastonbury was a great vocal performance given his age and he's still doing songs in the original keys. I mean, it was miles and miles better than RIR 2011 and that twelve and a half years ago! I think the flak Axl got in some Glasto reviews was certainly unfair. 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

It seems like he has changed to using a Fractal Axe - Fx and his tone is now being controlled off stage or pre programmed. 

He doesn't seem to use his knobs like he use to, making adjustments.

I also think the change to using in ear monitors (I think he concentrates on listening to what the mix is in his ear) and the cabinets now being located under the stage have made a big difference to his live sound more so the tone.. 

Slash always preferred hearing himself live via the stage monitors. 

I think thats definately part of it with the tone but I think he may also have changed his amp setups and so on too. Also using those epiphone guitars and being tied to various equipment deals doesnt help.

The other two things. First I have read Melissa that she fills the guitar/band sounds and adds to the playing through her equipment and second the chemistry with Richard may not be the best. Sometimes it feels like Richard and Slash are both competing for leads while you had someone laidback like say Izzy/gilby just happy being there supporting rhythm and letting slash be the man.

The noodling, at times shred and overspeeding is all slashs doing though. The lack of bends too.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 5:04 AM, Trin9498 said:

You could probably say the same for Axl. He never looks happy to be in pics. 

He's always in the middle and doesn't smile because he's clearly the leader. He's portraying his dominance.

Melissa's body positioning is a noticeably large distance from the rest of the band. She's leaning her head in to just barely be in the in the photo at all. As if she doesn't want to be seen with them.

it's just one photo and you can't read too much into one pic.

However, look at that old photo of Axl and Steph at the MTV awards. She's leaning away from him...Right before she dumped him.;)

Oh my, Guns is now resorting to the forum’s response regarding how Axl sounds live compared to pro shot footage…..

It was clearly BBC’s fault. Obviously……..

https://www.nme.com/news/music/live-agency-blames-bbc-for-poor-sound-quality-guns-n-roses-glastonbury-3462470

Edited by HollyWoodRose84

Boys and girls (and everything in-between) it's heating up 🔥 (I wanna song about this!)

Beaumont has run for the hills and privated and protected his tweets since last night....no doubt a massive pile-in on him....guess it didn't take "a lot more hate" on him....

McCormick has a bit more front though....even interacting with fans in his comments....he defo hates Axl, loves Slash though....apparently...

https://twitter.com/neil_mccormick

Edited by colonizedmind