06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

11 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Two notes:

I hear a lot of people giving the TV audio guy a hard time, but I think most of the issue is Axl, rather than the mixer. Axl doesn’t sing loudly when he’s in his Mickey falsetto. The volume coming from him is probably half of what it is when he’s singing in his chest voice or when he’s hitting the high notes.

So he’s basically depending on the mixer to adjust for him when he’s in his midrange, which is extraordinarily weak. It’s hard to expect a TV audio engineer to go “oh right, let’s down the vocals up for the second half of this verse, etc.” Axl’s all over the place, vocally.

Slash was the absolute MVP of the show. He really put on a tour de force, was playing great, and is rightly getting his credit online.

But I’m still shocked at how little gain he uses live with Guns these days. Either that or his volume knob is rolled off a bit much for my liking. C’mon Slash, just a bit more gain will make those notes sing a bit more! 

I think you're spot on - he's rolled off the volume knob overall in both GNR and SMKC for the last several years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Two notes:

I hear a lot of people giving the TV audio guy a hard time, but I think most of the issue is Axl, rather than the mixer. Axl doesn’t sing loudly when he’s in his Mickey falsetto. The volume coming from him is probably half of what it is when he’s singing in his chest voice or when he’s hitting the high notes.

So he’s basically depending on the mixer to adjust for him when he’s in his midrange, which is extraordinarily weak. It’s hard to expect a TV audio engineer to go “oh right, let’s down the vocals up for the second half of this verse, etc.” Axl’s all over the place, vocally.

Slash was the absolute MVP of the show. He really put on a tour de force, was playing great, and is rightly getting his credit online.

But I’m still shocked at how little gain he uses live with Guns these days. Either that or his volume knob is rolled off a bit much for my liking. C’mon Slash, just a bit more gain will make those notes sing a bit more! 

I don't think the problem is in Axl's vocals. As a proof, watch any audience recorded video from this tour and there is no difference in volume. 
And as someone noticed, usually Axl was inaudible in the first seconds when he goes from the lower register to his high register, then the sound was normal and you could hear Axl again.

Edited by We love Axl Rose

1 minute ago, We love Axl Rose said:

I don't think the problem is Axl's voice. As a proof, watch any audience recorded video from this tour and there is no difference in volume. 
And as someone noticed, usually Axl was inaudible in the first seconds when he goes from the lower register to his high register, then the sound was normal and you could hear Axl again.

But it was the same at Graspop. Sometimes you could barely hear Axl and I was in the front and could actually see him scream in his mic. I think others mentioned it as well long before Glastonbury.

(getting close to breaking the 100 page mark!)

Whether this gets altered/fixed (more chance than most with it being BBC and it being continued to be posted/rebroadcast)  are there still the old faithful in the GNR community that will take this audio apart and enhance/edit to make it the best it can be, etc? The video is sublime! I think some fan shot footage could be used to, to show cool stuff missed...hoping someone will be on this right about now....

1 minute ago, Lio said:

But it was the same at Graspop. Sometimes you could barely hear Axl and I was in the front and could actually see him scream in his mic. I think others mentioned it as well long before Glastonbury.

I know for example that the first few lines of Anything Goes you couldn't hear Axl at some shows. I didn't notice any problems with other songs, and I'm following the tour closely.

Axl is my biggest idol...but isnt it strange that he was only inaudible whenever he switched to his mid/higger register???

Come on guys, it's just that his voice is weak, the Mickey is there and not even close to 2001/2 standarts when it sounded stong and good.

He sang PTU perfectly except for "crack the whip cause that bitch..." and "time went by and it all went up in smoke"...

I said this plenty of times and I'll say it again...Axl will sound good in studio no matter what, but his live singing except for the lower register songs which sound absolutely great, is painful to listen to, and anything except professional.  Just imagine any other singer with that voice, you would laugh at it, let face it

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I'll say it again...Axl will sound good in studio no matter what, but his live singing except for the lower register songs which sound absolutely great, is painful to listen to, and anything except professional.  Just imagine any other singer with that voice, you would laugh at it, let face it

You would if he was acting like a cunt, like alex turner or axl in 92. But coz he is jovial and putting in so much effort and is actually 61 which is fucking old, people can look past it. some people, obv not everyone. For 50% of the set he sounds embarrassingly bad and 50% of the set he sounds ok or good. I can tolerate it due to his age and if he's giving it his 100%. I think lots of the British public resonated with that. We love a trier. especially a trier that falls just short. glorious defeat. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

You would if he was acting like a cunt, like alex turner or axl in 92. But coz he is jovial and putting in so much effort and is actually 61 which is fucking old, people can look past it. some people, obv not everyone. For 50% of the set he sounds embarrassingly bad and 50% of the set he sounds ok or good. I can tolerate it due to his age and if he's giving it his 100%. I think lots of the British public resonated with that. We love a trier. especially a trier that falls just short. glorious defeat. 

I said the same in an earlier post. He definately was given it extra % and I just went and looked at a bunch of vids from this tour, to be sure...the folks who say he was in to it just as much as all the other gigs, are just plain wrong. He's been in good form all tour but he absolutely ran far more than he's been doing all tour, especially the first half of the gig and I challenge anyone to show me a gig where he smiled more. He was positively beaming, especially at "show me those hannnnnnds!" Let's see how he moves at Glasgow...hope he CAN keep it up  if not, more alts in the sets....come on I'd love some "Bad Apples" (soundchecked apparently) and Breakdown...and of course, General and Perhaps! This tour can continue to be very interesting from afar if they keep dripping little nuggets like those mentioned! 👍

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

When Macca is watching your set you know you’re doing something right.

The clip of him singing along to Live and Let die is great.

Didn't see that, where? That's way too cool :axl:

8 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

you can see she isnt as energetic on stage as she was the first years. frank seems a bit bored behind the drums too, but that could just be the way he drums.

Frank definitely looks more bored this year than in 2016-2019. Melissa is sitting down for half the show.

On 6/25/2023 at 1:50 AM, KIKOZ3 said:

I would honestly like it very much.

We would have the opportunity to see him properly play the solos of TWAT among others.

I don't know what's up with Slash, he can't play a solo he wrote with feeling and his signature classic.

For some reason he prefers to improvise and fry his guitar at every opportunity...

The classic Slash that took solos and licks from the bottom of the soul unfortunately stayed in the past...

I unfortunately totally agree with the above, and this is coming from someone who absolutely love the guy, started the guitar the 32 years ago because of him (hell he even signed and offered our wedding gift)

But after both snakepit album, both his guitar tone and playing are going in a direction that isn’t the best. 

I have a zillion of bootlegs from the UYI tours, and for the sake of simplicity I will use Tokyo 92 as a reference point, as it showcases a powerful Marshall tone, solos on time and improvisations that you could almost whistle/play years later, as they were melodic. 

These days, the sound/tone isn’t great at all (what’s up with the use of a nasal fuzz on all solos now ?!?), never use a clean channel anymore for clean parts (and trust me I’m all for using your volume knob as much as possible, but here, when you hear the intro of Paradise that is so dirty… come on! His tech is already pushing of knobs, might as well switch to a real clean channel)

and now his playing (and to a certain extent his attitude on stage too):

almost all solos aren’t on time, it’s like he has a delay in his in-ears monitors!

Of course you can always play with the tempo, a bit behind or just before, all good as long you’re in the pocket. But now? We’re clearly past this stage…

and the solos/improvisations:

used to be so melodic improvisations (like I mentioned above), less notes, articulate, almost as if they were written improvisation as they were so good. 
Now it’s just wanking the neck, and play a millions uninspired notes (for 15 min at times…) and that’s it…

And finally the attitude, at Glastonbury noticeably, but I have seen this before, he looks bored, very few interactions and smiles. I know coming from a divorce, splashing crazy amount of money to Perla each month, the reunion offer was too good to turn it down, but I sincerely he hasn’t done all this only for the bad reason ($$$$)

Again this is coming from someone who loves Slash, worships him, and respects the guy like no other. 
But this has concerned me a lot for years, and there’s no signs of improvement unfortunately. 

at least we have the old bootlegs and videos from the past ahahah!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Two notes:

Both points are exactly my thoughts on all this.

Axl probably should get his mic closer when he sings in his head voice to compensate for the lack of volume. Either this or learn how to sing from his mixed/chest voice in a lower volume. 

Not sure if it's all his fault tho. There were some parts that the overall sound mix wasn't so good, which is very common for a TV broadcast. 

3 hours ago, Gem Archer said:

i dont know if it was posted before 

it would have been good to hear nice boys again

https://i.imgur.com/yTWc3A0.png

It would be nice, boy.

Here it is the image:

yTWc3A0.png

Viewing figure in...

This doesn't include those tuning in on 6music and subsequent iPlayer watches, BBC Music YT etc. Pretty good. Up on usual figures, a record for Elton in fact! Now for the aftershocks of this earthquake..anyone that monitors, knows the usual figures for GNR on YT/Spotify etc...should compare it a month from now and see the ripple effects....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/glastonbury-audience-record-for-elton-john-bbc-one

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Axl probably should get his mic closer when he sings in his head voice to compensate for the lack of volume. Either this or learn how to sing from his mixed/chest voice in a lower volume. 

Not sure if it's all his fault tho. There were some parts that the overall sound mix wasn't so good, which is very common for a TV broadcast. 

It would be nice, boy.

Here it is the image:

yTWc3A0.png

To we have page two? Maybe Don't cry with Paradise? 

On just that note, 5 songs they didn't play....Nice Boys and Anything Goes certainly would of been welcome if we're in a greedy mood...

• Like 1

I too am no longer buying the UHD TV argument. I just had the BBC Sounds app version on in the car amd Rocket Queen was practically an instrumental most of the time. And that was the worst I've heard it.

Doubt it was a GN'R issue given the complaints about other artists, but still.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It would be nice, boy.

Here it is the image:

yTWc3A0.png

Never ever going to play all that in 2 hours 20 min, they've taken a best of the setlist if you like 

Thank god this I love and wichita was left out there, wrong style for Glastonbury 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

I know for example that the first few lines of Anything Goes you couldn't hear Axl at some shows. I didn't notice any problems with other songs, and I'm following the tour closely.

Is like the mic link up with guitar. In Vigo Axl sounds like the guitar, something weird.

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

I too am no longer buying the UHD TV argument. I just had the BBC Sounds app version on in the car amd Rocket Queen was practically an instrumental most of the time. And that was the worst I've heard it.

Doubt it was a GN'R issue given the complaints about other artists, but still.

Yes, Blondie too.

• Like 2