06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

39 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Almost any comment in NME FB said  same, and ridiculize it article about "first time" .

I mean it's almost a decade of no late starts, there's really very little that can be done for people still expecting gnr on late

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freak6767 said:

I unfortunately totally agree with the above, and this is coming from someone who absolutely love the guy, started the guitar the 32 years ago because of him (hell he even signed and offered our wedding gift)

But after both snakepit album, both his guitar tone and playing are going in a direction that isn’t the best. 

I have a zillion of bootlegs from the UYI tours, and for the sake of simplicity I will use Tokyo 92 as a reference point, as it showcases a powerful Marshall tone, solos on time and improvisations that you could almost whistle/play years later, as they were melodic. 

These days, the sound/tone isn’t great at all (what’s up with the use of a nasal fuzz on all solos now ?!?), never use a clean channel anymore for clean parts (and trust me I’m all for using your volume knob as much as possible, but here, when you hear the intro of Paradise that is so dirty… come on! His tech is already pushing of knobs, might as well switch to a real clean channel)

and now his playing (and to a certain extent his attitude on stage too):

almost all solos aren’t on time, it’s like he has a delay in his in-ears monitors!

Of course you can always play with the tempo, a bit behind or just before, all good as long you’re in the pocket. But now? We’re clearly past this stage…

and the solos/improvisations:

used to be so melodic improvisations (like I mentioned above), less notes, articulate, almost as if they were written improvisation as they were so good. 
Now it’s just wanking the neck, and play a millions uninspired notes (for 15 min at times…) and that’s it…

And finally the attitude, at Glastonbury noticeably, but I have seen this before, he looks bored, very few interactions and smiles. I know coming from a divorce, splashing crazy amount of money to Perla each month, the reunion offer was too good to turn it down, but I sincerely he hasn’t done all this only for the bad reason ($$$$)

Again this is coming from someone who loves Slash, worships him, and respects the guy like no other. 
But this has concerned me a lot for years, and there’s no signs of improvement unfortunately. 

at least we have the old bootlegs and videos from the past ahahah!

Maybe the reason of that change of his playing, tone, feel is that Slash is no longer under the influence of drugs or alcohol. That wires your nervous system and brain differently.

Edited by GNROSAS
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Axl is my biggest idol...but isnt it strange that he was only inaudible whenever he switched to his mid/higger register???

Come on guys, it's just that his voice is weak, the Mickey is there and not even close to 2001/2 standarts when it sounded stong and good.

He sang PTU perfectly except for "crack the whip cause that bitch..." and "time went by and it all went up in smoke"...

Exactly, and thank you for your honesty.

It’s not a coincidence that his voice is high in the mix when he’s singing in his lower register, and then gets buried when he hits his midrange in the very same verse. He’s not singing as hard into the mic - and not very hard at *all* - when he slips into the Mickey midrange voice, which is why you can’t hear it - because there’s not much there to hear!

I *love* Axl. One of my favorite singers and frontmen. And I think, so far, he’s done okay on this tour. But all the “Axl sounds *great*! Fucking idiot sound guy doesn’t know how to mix for TV” stuff just confuses me.

• Like 3

This must be some of the best footage we have of the band. Suppose it’s comparable to other recent pro-shots but there do seem to be a lot of great closeups. It’s somewhat expected because it’s shot live for television by the BBC, on their terms with their cameras. In some scenes it’s like Slash is a giving a guitar less (albeit a very advanced one). The mix sounds pretty good for the most part too (Axl quiet in parts). It’s a great production and the band are on fire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GNROSAS said:

Maybe the reason of that change of his playing, tone, feel is that Slash is no longer under the influence of drugs or alcohol. That wires your nervous system and brain differently.

Narr ive seen him multiple times live with smkc and gnrs. He hasnt been on drugs since mid 2000s and has just changed in very recent years. 

I think his just bored playing the same stuff over and over

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Viewing figure in...

This doesn't include those tuning in on 6music and subsequent iPlayer watches, BBC Music YT etc. Pretty good. Up on usual figures, a record for Elton in fact! Now for the aftershocks of this earthquake..anyone that monitors, knows the usual figures for GNR on YT/Spotify etc...should compare it a month from now and see the ripple effects....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/glastonbury-audience-record-for-elton-john-bbc-one

Nice, it’s also nice seeing a lot of people, some not even fans standing up for Axl after the show. It seems like the reaction is generally favorable.

Regarding Spotify I don’t think there will be a huge spike in monthly listeners but hopefully I’m wrong. Also, older bands, especially bands formed in 80’s, 90’s or before surely get more spins from other forms of media given that their fanbases are older and broader in general.

What I find interesting though is the followers number on Spotify. GN’R are ranked in 41st place in that regard. There is only one band on the whole list which is older (Queen) and basically no other real rock band other than Queen come before them. AC/DC come in at number 47 and Metallica in 54th. Not saying it means anything but it’s nice to see.

Edited by mustaine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vloors said:

Narr ive seen him multiple times live with smkc and gnrs. He hasnt been on drugs since mid 2000s and has just changed in very recent years. 

I think his just bored playing the same stuff over and over

It seems like he has changed to using a Fractal Axe - Fx and his tone is now being controlled off stage or pre programmed. 

He doesn't seem to use his knobs like he use to, making adjustments.

I also think the change to using in ear monitors (I think he concentrates on listening to what the mix is in his ear) and the cabinets now being located under the stage have made a big difference to his live sound more so the tone.. 

Slash always preferred hearing himself live via the stage monitors. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

It seems like he has changed to using a Fractal Axe - Fx and his tone is now being controlled off stage or pre programmed. 

He doesn't seem to use his knobs like he use to, making adjustments.

I also think the change to using in ear monitors (I think he concentrates on listening to what the mix is in his ear) and the cabinets now being located under the stage have made a big difference to his live sound more so the tone.. 

Slash always preferred hearing himself live via the stage monitors. 

No he's still using his regular Marshall rig. No modeling here.

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

No he's still using his regular Marshall rig. No modeling here.

i think the only real change since the reunion is an Iso-Cab located offstage. Only the side cabs are engaged for feedback moments. Easy to mistake that as modeling. I do wish they would go back to live cabs onstage...

14 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Both points are exactly my thoughts on all this.

Axl probably should get his mic closer when he sings in his head voice to compensate for the lack of volume. Either this or learn how to sing from his mixed/chest voice in a lower volume. 

Not sure if it's all his fault tho. There were some parts that the overall sound mix wasn't so good, which is very common for a TV broadcast. 

It would be nice, boy.

Here it is the image:

Might be reaching, but the encore part Is conveniently covered after patience... Any hints?

• Like 1