GNR vs Beatles

campos

Which peak was bigger?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd say The Beatles were/are more iconic in terms of influence etc and the impact that their music had over the duration of their lifespan and beyond. The music itself is obviously subjective, but in my opinion, regardless of the small catalogue that Guns have, they've achieved a lot in their formative years that will forever cement them among the best bands of all time.

Let's not hide away from the fact that Wings were the band The Beatles could have been. 

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

An album comprised of Wings & Beatles solo songs would crush Chinese Democracy(which I do like) and GNR solo songs.

Many would agree, but I’d still take Chinese. Chinese and Band on the Run are both in my top 5 greatest albums. Macca at the very very top of his game. The one hand clapping sessions is essential viewing if you haven’t already seen or heard them!

Also, if you have the time, give me those songs that you think would trounce Chinese so I can make a playlist and check it out! I preferred The Beatles in the latter part, but it’s always a divisive topic and I’d be interested to see what you come up with!

Edited by Dean

The Beatles are the most important musical artists of all time. The only acts who even come marginally close are Elvis and Michael Jackson. Their influence stretches beyond music and into history and the fabric of culture itself. Both Paul McCartney and John Lennon’s homes are national trust museums. John Lennon has an airport named after him. Their impact is unfathomable. There is an entire industry dedicated to Beatles tourism. Go to Liverpool, believe me. Read one of Mark Lewishohn’s books; they are treated with the same academic standards as any historical event, on a par with Waterloo or World War I. Think of the countless films and books that exist about them. Not made-for-TV behind the music documentaries - high budget Hollywood movies like Nowhere Boy, or Get Back.. Without them we may not even have GNR. Think about it - would Steven Tyler have been inspired enough to join a band without the British Invasion that the Beatles led in the 60s? Would Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, The Kinks and the Who have made it if the Beatles hadn’t booted the door open and made albums the pinnacle of the art form prior to them? Would Queen have been inspired to experiment with genres beyond rock? Christ, they wrote Jagger and Richard’s first single - the stones are on record saying ‘we started songwriting because Lennon and McCartney made it look easy’. Google it, it’s all there.

Even their impact on recording techniques and technology. Literally in the last few years, they are influencing audio tech, with Peter Jackson funding revolutionary AI just for track separation for his Get Back film (the best music doc of all time btw), they’ve changed the game again. Indirectly, but it’s still entirely a result of their influence and the hunger the world has for the band. It is not fair to even compare any other band to the Beatles. They’ve broken every record, shattered every ceiling, and continue to inspire millions to this day. Even if you aren’t a fan of the music (even though their influence likely shaped the music you love without you even knowing it), the success, influence and impact of the Beatles will likely never be topped. All roads lead to the Beatles. I think if you asked any member of GNR, past or present, who was better, they’d laugh and say the Beatles. Same goes for every other band. They are Zeus atop mount Olympus. Always will be. 

Edited by Billy Cundy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Well said 100%

The Beatles - Beyond I

1. How Do You Sleep?
2. Working Class Hero
3. My Sweet Lord
4. Let Me Roll It
5.  Jet
6. Instant Karma(We All Shine On)
7. Maybe I'm Amazed
8. Jealous Guy
9. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
10. Watching The Wheels
11. Liverpool 8
12. Band On The Run

The Beatles - Beyond II

1. Too Many People
2. Gimme Some Truth
3. It Don't Come Easy - Ringo version
4. Live and Let Die
5. Mind Games
6. How?
7. Let 'Em In
8. Another Day
9. What Is Life
10. (Just Like) Starting Over
11. Here Today
12. Imagine

two albums. cash grab! :P

and to put injury to insult, you had to leave the best track for the second cd. I call that brazilian management tactiques.

12 hours ago, Dean said:

I'd say The Beatles were/are more iconic in terms of influence etc and the impact that their music had over the duration of their lifespan and beyond. The music itself is obviously subjective, but in my opinion, regardless of the small catalogue that Guns have, they've achieved a lot in their formative years that will forever cement them among the best bands of all time.

Let's not hide away from the fact that Wings were the band The Beatles could have been. 

My favourite Beatles album? Tough one. I  think I’d have to say The Best of the Beatles.

• Haha 1

One of the most overrated bands of all time, I wonder who wins? :rolleyes:

Well, anyway they both have their place in music, one of them could pass farts as music, both bested by their contemporaries, lots of similarities really. Apples and oranges, they both sour, who wins?

You can either say The Beatles are overrated or you can understand music history. But not both. 

Whether or not you like GnR better, The Beatles are probably the biggest influence on modern music ever. The only other contender for that title are the Rolling Stones, but that's a whole other debate. 

• Like 4

Biggest influence on music, give me a break, even that is quite the overstatement, Classical composers take the Beatles to school and twice on saturday, let alone being the best band of all time, yeah, it's the most generic answer out there.

Good thing that all that great influence they imposed on modern artists, wasn't the main source of influence for said artist, as you can tell with a pair of ears.

But obviously Obviously Beatles are "better" than GNR, happy?

Let me try to play along.. Actually, no. You're right they are the goat in the mainstream, the masses ate them up.

As for anyone well versed in music, did they do a poll on this yet? Did they pool and dig to find the elitist group of music snobs (who don't even like them, because too mainstream contrarian I'm artsy fartsy, but I'm paid under the table to give them a vote) or whatever else breathing meat holster you can conjure up, etc. Did they all universally agree on this? Is this the way you personally rate any and all forms of art/mediums? Titanic is the goat movie, herp derp.

You could easily make an album of George, John, and Paul’s best solo material and it would still be considered one of the best works of pop music of all time

They were truly time in a bottle. George Martin deserves equal praise for their legend, too imo

Well, I'm too young for the Beatles, but they changed rock in the 60's. First of the British invasion. My mom loved them from the start, but she's a HUGE GNR fan. We learned to love them from her loving GNR.

I would say GNR , but both changed the face of rock music. The Beatles in the 60's and GNR in the late 80's. Both had a huge impression on music and to this day both bands's music is still very much alive and still loved by many people.

and both bands have grown as time went on and they branched out into different forms of rock which is a great thing. Got to keep Rock alive.

Influential is not really a word that fits GNR. They were great at what they did, which was just great hard rock. They came at the end of that era, they didn’t bring much new to the table musically

Beatles helped shape pop culture

This is a dumb question

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 7:37 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Well, I'm too young for the Beatles, but they changed rock in the 60's. First of the British invasion. My mom loved them from the start, but she's a HUGE GNR fan. We learned to love them from her loving GNR.

I would say GNR , but both changed the face of rock music. The Beatles in the 60's and GNR in the late 80's. Both had a huge impression on music and to this day both bands's music is still very much alive and still loved by many people.

and both bands have grown as time went on and they branched out into different forms of rock which is a great thing. Got to keep Rock alive.

Sorry, appreciate your point but GNR’s influence is fractional compared to the Beatles. Saying the Beatles ‘influenced rock in the sixties’ is a bit like saying Christianity ‘influenced the Middle East in the 1st century’. The Beatles changed the world, and their influence and impact will echo through history. 

• Like 2