Gn’R Vinyl collectors?

Guns N’ Roses seem to be as popular as ever.  They are a considered a “cool” band by my 12 year old son and seem to be leading the new emergence of rocks. 

I collected GNR vinyl because they are my favorite band but I’m starting to thing live like a suicide is very cheap considering that it was limited to 25k copies   AFD is my favorite album but LLAS seems like a great buy right now   Anyone else into vinyl? 

https://vmgvinyl.com/live-★-like-a-suicide/

I don't think the boomers around here who are always critical of the band and saying they should give it up realize how popular GnR is among younger kids.  I always see kids wearing GnR shirts and a ton of younger people at the shows.  There aren't many larger than life Rock band left and Guns is one of them

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, 1987b said:

Guns N’ Roses seem to be as popular as ever.  They are a considered a “cool” band by my 12 year old son and seem to be leading the new emergence of rocks. 

I collected GNR vinyl because they are my favorite band but I’m starting to thing live like a suicide is very cheap considering that it was limited to 25k copies   AFD is my favorite album but LLAS seems like a great buy right now   Anyone else into vinyl? 

https://vmgvinyl.com/live-★-like-a-suicide/

I thought LLAS was 10,000 copies? 

Outside the Live Era vinyl are any of the GnR releases rare? Even the infamous banned cover version of Appetite can be picked up for $200. (which when it comes to rare records isn’t much….)

They were so good and so popular so quick there’s no stuff that got a 1000 copy release on an indie label like a lot of bands first singles. 

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I thought LLAS was 10,000 copies? 

Outside the Live Era vinyl are any of the GnR releases rare? Even the infamous banned cover version of Appetite can be picked up for $200. (which when it comes to rare records isn’t much….)

They were so good and so popular so quick there’s no stuff that got a 1000 copy release on an indie label like a lot of bands first singles. 

I think the Chinese Democracy 7 inch is fairly rare 

• Like 1

Discogs link for the Chinese Democracy promo. Seems to ballpark around £15-£50 or €18-€60 with conversion on sales.

There are only two official pressings of Live ?!★@ Like A Suicide - both in 1986 of course. The “red tinged rear cover” is cheaper to purchase but only by a minimal amount - As Evidenced Here…

Compared to the other version, which has a printed "blemish" on rear photo (above Axl's head) and "ejector" mark on spine with "A" stamp on centre labels - as shown here…

As far as vinyl holy grails go, they’re barely scratching the surface for prized collectibles. Chinese Democracy has slowly crept up in price, and if you were smart to buy it for £5 odd in multiple quantities on vinyl, you’re sitting on an album that sells for £60 near mint opened and around £100 brand new. 

• Like 1

I’ve been trying to get the sealed ‘Back to Black’ 2008 reissues of AFD and UYI 1&2 and it’s near impossible for a reasonable price.  I’m also looking for a clean OG copy of LIES.  I’ve noticed that all GNR on vinyl sells fast.   

Edited by illusionone

I never got Chinese democracy on vinyl.  I agree it is up there are far as rarities.  I also agree that none of the options are truest rare.  Relatively speaking though LLAS is much more limited than the other albums.  

Is the banned Appetite cover even that rare? I’ve seen a few copies go for $100-150. Which again isn’t that much cash for a “rare” record. I remember buying Since I don’t Have You back in the day on 7” orange vinyl thinking I’d scored a rarity. It’s about $10 to buy right now… 

4 hours ago, Nintari said:

So far, all I own is GNR Lies. As a kid, back in their heyday, I owned the tape. Then when I got into my teens, I got the CD. Like most heterosexual boys, I would gaze at that model inside and think, man... if only that black bar wasn't there. Then, flash forward to about a year ago, I find out that in Europe, the original uncensored version came out on LP

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_3

It was a cop from that rag paper The Sun. No need for a GnR album. We had boobies every day! 

3 hours ago, 1987b said:

I never got Chinese democracy on vinyl.  I agree it is up there are far as rarities.  I also agree that none of the options are truest rare.  Relatively speaking though LLAS is much more limited than the other albums.  

I think the US pressing is more common and from memory inferior to the European pressing. I think there was sound issues with Side 4 of the US pressing (I could be wrong here) 

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

I think the US pressing is more common and from memory inferior to the European pressing. I think there was sound issues with Side 4 of the US pressing (I could be wrong here) 

Correct, in fact I think the US pressing is bad throughout. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’m just getting into vinyl and picked up boots of a 87 UK show and the 88 Ritz show. I’d like to get ChiDem on vinyl, I remember when no one wanted them lol. Now they’re like 50 bucks used

Do yourself a favor and skip the US pressing. The Euro one is vastly superior. I have both and it’s not even close. 

14 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Do yourself a favor and skip the US pressing. The Euro one is vastly superior. I have both and it’s not even close. 

13 hours ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

Euro Chin Dem is the one to get, to much noise and defects on US pressings.

This only makes sense to me IF you are planning on actually listening to it.

However, if you are just collecting, especially an unopened vinyl, the sound quality doesn't matter since it'll never be played.

I bought a vinyl copy back during the 2008 release and have never opened it. I couldn't care less that it isn't the Euro pressing.

• Like 1

I bought the banned appetite for 20 dollars here in sweden on a yard sale 😅 and LIES in very good condition 6 dollars. Have always wondered if its really so rare 🙊 seen it a couple of times. 

How about the box with appetite and lies CD with a picture disc vinyl, (maybe november Rain?) I gave 25 dollars for that in hope that it was a rare motherfucker 😅 not sealed btw

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2023 at 5:05 AM, Nintari said:

So far, all I own is GNR Lies. As a kid, back in their heyday, I owned the tape. Then when I got into my teens, I got the CD. Like most heterosexual boys, I would gaze at that model inside and think, man... if only that black bar wasn't there. Then, flash forward to about a year ago, I find out that in Europe, the original uncensored version came out on LP along with allusions to wife-beating on the front via the fake headlines and suddenly, I knew I had to own it. I hopped on Ebay, found a copy of the first EU pressing and ordered it. When it arrived, I checked out the cool original headlines, then slid the sleeve out and there she was, exactly as Axl and the boys had always wanted me to see her: completely uncensored and in all her glory.

Another life goal completed.

I used to beat off over her so much when I was younger …

anyway, that was last week. This week I’m much more busy with work.

• Like 1

My brother's ex-GF got him a CD vinyl signed by every member involved in it except for Axl, if I'm not mistaken. I know it has Ron, Richard, Tommy, Chris, Dizzy, Frank and Brain, though. Not 100% sure about Robin, Bucket and Josh. Since he doesn't really collect records, it stays with me. 

30 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

My brother's ex-GF got him a CD vinyl signed by every member involved in it except for Axl, if I'm not mistaken. I know it has Ron, Richard, Tommy, Chris, Dizzy, Frank and Brain, though. Not 100% sure about Robin, Bucket and Josh. Since he doesn't really collect records, it stays with me. 

I think it was someone on here that told a story about getting the band to sign his copy of Chinese, only for DJ to take it out his hand and sign it too without being asked. Hilarious!

Live Era eluded me for the longest time. Estrangedtwat picked it up for me at a fraction of the price it goes for these days and shipped it over to Scotland from Japan. Forever grateful.

I’ve a few copies of Chinese. 3 EU pressings and one US that I’ve never played. I picked up a sealed copy of Chinese on vinyl for £6 in Newcastle a few year back. Incredible find!

As far as albums goes, I’m all set, though not really fussed about variants. I do have a few copies of each album though 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

I think it was someone on here that told a story about getting the band to sign his copy of Chinese, only for DJ to take it out his hand and sign it too without being asked. Hilarious!

That is hilarious! I remember on DJ Ashba's website, around the time he first came onboard with GN'R, he listed Chinese Democracy (including the cover art) in his portfolio. In his defense, I believe the intent at the time was to have him featured on some bonus tracks for a re-release/re-launch which was planned around 2011.

CD2 at least as of 2013 (or so) didn't feature him on any of those songs, they were still in 2008 mix mode (primarily Robin and Bucket material, including Bumblefoot and likely Frank too on some) Too bad it never came to fruition, I'm sure CD2 back then (even with Bumblefoot) would be vastly superior to CD2 reworked by the NITL lineup.  I wonder how Silkworms and Hardschool sounded on CD2 then. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1