06/01/23- Abu Dhabi- Etihad Arena

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

And with that logic Bumblefoot should have just tapped mindlessly over the November Rain outro, adding lots of thimble whistle noises and going crazy on his fretless.

Nope, wrong logic: BBF doesn't happen to be a "set in the stone SCOM legend", which is the crucial difference, sorry. He was obligated to play legacy songs "as is", period. And this is me talking who considers BBF the best and nicest NuGNR member. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Nope, wrong logic: BBF doesn't happen to be a set in the stone SCOM legend, which is the crucial difference, sorry. He was obligated to play legacy songs "as is", period. And this is me talking who considers BBF the best and nicest NuGNR member. 

As far as I am concerned, it is about respect for other musicians, their music and what fans want. Bumblefoot knew this to his fingertips. Slash doesn't seem to care. It is okay that you forgive him for this because he is a "SCOM legend" but don't try to rationalize his attitude and make it seems less like what it is: A middle finger to everyone who cares.

• Like 2

I mean, it would be fine if Slash decided to make the songs his own by adding his own crafted solos and leads to them, I think we would accept that, after all, it IS Slash and that's what he is really good at. It would be inteesting to hear his take on the CD material. But that's not what he is doing, he just seems to mindlessly noodle.  

• Like 4

Slash literally said he didn’t think most of the solos on Chinese Democracy had any “serious melodic significance,” and then noodles the fuck out of what he chooses to play instead. I love Slash, but that’s a huge slap in the face to fans of that material and its players.

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

As far as I am concerned, it is about respect for other musicians, their music and what fans want. Bumblefoot knew this to his fingertips. Slash doesn't seem to care. It is okay that you forgive him for this because he is a "SCOM legend" but don't try to rationalize his attitude and make it seems less like what it is: A middle finger to everyone who cares.

That’s your opinion and I have no problem respecting it (a lesson to learn right there for some, huh), but I just look at it simply: TIL and other songs’ solos aren’t even iconic enough to be played too rigorously. Slash’s vibe just... overrules it anyway. Plus we’re not talking about him taking like the TWAT solo and playing it in a completely different key and different notes, are we. In any case, I’ll take his "not respecting" the other material and being himself over doing the opposite 100% of the time, thank you very much. :) 

PS: Your posts come off as made by someone who’s really, and I mean fucking really, sure about their opinion. It’s kinda weird, when you think about it. 
Peace. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jamillos said:

PS: Your posts come off as made by someone who’s really, and I mean fucking really, sure about their opinion. It’s kinda weird, when you think about it. 

Of course I am 100% sure that it comes off as disrespectful of Slash to just noodle over others' solos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LlamaRenegade said:

Slash literally said he didn’t think most of the solos on Chinese Democracy had any “serious melodic significance,” and then noodles the fuck out of what he chooses to play instead. I love Slash, but that’s a huge slap in the face to fans of that material and its players.

Where and when did he say such a thing. As far as I remember he showed respect for the guitar players in an interview a couple years back. He said they did an excellent job on Chinese and that Axl wanted him to do his own thing on those songs. The only song were he really created a new solo though, is Better. He always kinda plays the same solo. For the other songs he makes it up in the moment...and often not so succesfully. I agree that those songs would be better if Fortus played them as they were intended.

Edited by Master Of Reality
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Master Of Reality said:

Where and when did he say such a thing. As far as I remember he showed respect for the guitar players in an interview a couple years back. He said they did an excellent job on Chinese and that Axl wanted him to do his own thing on those songs. The only song were he really created a new solo though, is Better. He always kinda plays the same solo. For the other songs he makes it up in the moment...and often not so succesfully. I agree that those songs would be better if Fortus played them as they were intended.

For the most part he has been pretty respectful to the guitarists on CD. This is the quote I’m referring to though.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

On the song Better, instead of trying to play like Robin Finck trying to play like you - as per the recorded version - you chose to do your own thing…

“Some of the stuff I won’t do note-for-note because it doesn’t have a serious melodic significance to the song. It sounded like they were making it up...”

• Like 3

This I Love and Street of Dreams prob the 2 weakest songs in the set IMO - tough ones for Axl to pull off and Slash does his own thing.

Funny because usually the vocals noticed more on YT than live but could def hear the difficulty in signing them when it was arena loud. Maybe coz Slash was low in the mix or maybe coz I was half expecting it. So maybe I noticed more than most. But they’d do well to just drop them IMO

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course I am 100% sure that it comes off as disrespectful of Slash to just noodle over others' solos.

In terms of disrespect to history, we could talk about Axl from a whole bunch of points of views, but let's not go there. Let’s just be nice, albeit slightly hypocritical, forum fans. 
Long live Merchnando et al.! 

Gotta go, bid you a good day, kind sir. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamillos said:

In terms of disrespect to history, we could talk about Axl from a whole bunch of points of views

Sure. But it wouldn't be relevant. This isn't some competition on who's worst. Axl being disrespectful doesn't mean it's okay for Slash to be, too.

4 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Gotta go, bid you a good day, kind sir. 

Same to you! Go and be awesome! :)

Wasn't it Slash and Duff's idea to play the Chinese Democracy material? Didn't they go to Axl and ask him which songs he wanted to do?

If they didn't care, they wouldn't be playing those songs. Any suggestion otherwise is ludicrous in my opinion. What's more, if what Slash was doing was that bad, surely Axl wouldn't stand for it.

He does his own take on it. Sure, it's a bit different every night, but it always follows the same basic outline. He plays some of the more established solos differently too. Not as differently, admittedly, but since they're more established, he can't stray too off-piste. It's LIVE music!

He's having fun, obviously wants to play the songs, and take ownership of them. This is only what they'd sound like if he'd never left the band.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LlamaRenegade said:

For the most part he has been pretty respectful to the guitarists on CD. This is the quote I’m referring to though.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

On the song Better, instead of trying to play like Robin Finck trying to play like you - as per the recorded version - you chose to do your own thing…

“Some of the stuff I won’t do note-for-note because it doesn’t have a serious melodic significance to the song. It sounded like they were making it up...”

Thanks! No serious significance TO THE SONGS 😁. I get it. Thought he was being negative. 

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

In the grand scheme of things, there are probably about two peopl in the audience that give a crap how Slash plays the Chinese Democracy solos.. 

I thing 98% of the audience would have loved it if Slash had played some inspired solos to those songs... 

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

In the grand scheme of things, there are probably about two peopl in the audience that give a crap how Slash plays the Chinese Democracy solos.. 

I thing 98% of the audience would have loved it if Slash had played some inspired solos to those songs... 

25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Now you sound ike a child just arguing for the sake of arguing..  You are high if you think 98% of the audience even knows those CD songs.. It is probably closer to 10% with most not giving a fuck about the solos or how inspiring Slash is during them. He is fine.. It is just the same 5 people that have been regurgittaing the same crap for 7 years now.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Now you sound ike a child just arguing for the sake of arguing..  You are high if you think 98% of the audience even knows those CD songs.. It is probably closer to 10% with most not giving a fuck about the solos or how inspiring Slash is during them.

I think the audience would appreciate a really good Slash solo regardless of whether they know the song or not. Slash in his prime would come up with solos that were standalone great, just great melodic solos. Not random noodling. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LlamaRenegade said:

all 7 of them :-)

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, B5Redeye said:

I watched a lot of the videos. Is it just me being the optimist or does it seem like Acl has put in some work in the off-season? To me he sounds much better.

It's definitely telling that he came out sounding decent on the first show of the tour. I was fully expecting him to sound like dogshit on Thursday night

• Like 3

On 6/2/2023 at 12:43 PM, allwaystired said:

Yeah, Glastonbury released the set times last week on their website. 

Maybe a bit of overrun, but probably not by much given how late it finishes anyway. Not sure how Glastonbury manage the late finish actually as no other festivals can. 

I'd say it will be a set firmly focussed on the bigger songs only, with a possible guest appearance from Angus Young for 'Back In Black'. 

SATURDAY

GUNS N' ROSES 21:30 - 23:45

LIZZO 19:30 - 20:30

LEWIS CAPALDI 17:35 - 18:35

AITCH 16:00 - 17:00

AMADOU & MARIAM 14:30 - 15:30

RAYE 13:15 - 14:00

RICK ASTLEY 12:00 - 12:45

To be fair, Back in Black would be awesome. I just watched Nice Boys from this show and Axl was in full AC/DC mode on that one, although I doubt most of that crowd will even know who Angus Young is. The last time I watched anything to do with Glastonbury was when Metallica headlined 9 years ago and their shows are usually about 2 hours anyway. Hopefully they stretch it as far as they can as even a heavily stripped down set is well over 2 hours.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1