06/01/23- Abu Dhabi- Etihad Arena

31 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Percentages. Slash said 5/6 songs. We now know 3 are absurd, hardschool, perhaps. Strongly suspect soul monster and atlas shrugged. That leaves 1 or maybe no other songs worked on. it didnt leak in 2019 and so far all the other 2 soon to be 3 did leak in 2019. It appeared ready for release in 2010 and for whatever reason it's not been mentioned since by anyone in the band. Best I think we can hope for now would be 2028 CD boxset version. Though it is probably the one GnR song I want to hear more than any other. 

you never know with Axl

I def want as many ChiDem leftover songs released as possible, but this is a great set list. I hope I can make a show this tour, now

Since the reunion we have gotten,

Coma

Double Talkin’ Jive

Bad Obsession

Locomotive

Dead Horse

So Fine

Pretty Tied Up

Anything Goes

Reckless Life

Shadow of Your Love

Raw Power

Down on the Farm

Silkworms released and played (lol)

Jackie Chan released and played

That is a lot in terms of deep cuts considering the band only has 4 albums of original material and an EP. Not bad, all things considered. Never thought we’d get a reunion and songs like Reckless Life, Coma, and Anything Goes. I’ll take it.

• Like 4

GnR fans are so used to nothing, any breadcrumb this band gives us is seen as the best thing ever. Don't get me wrong, the setlist is now quite different from what it was back in 2011, for example, but it doesn't change the fact there have been 11 tours since then and 14 additions/substitutions in the setlist so far. Almost one per tour :lol:

But one (1) new album would change the whole picture. That's all it takes. Metallica and Iron Maiden and Judas Priest have released 3 studio albums since CD was released. Megadeth has released 4. Slash has released 5 with Myles Kennedy. Friggin' King Gizzard has released 23 albums :lol:. There's just no excuse. There's just no interest in making new music because it takes too much work compared to the other ways a veteran band like GnR can make a profit til they retire. Let's be honest. 

If Axl were in better shape vocally, I'd still go to their concert in July. But I've seen mickey live too many times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

To me, never releasing The General, Seven, Thyme, Oklahoma, Soul Monster would be the strangest decision Axl has ever made ... Literally cannot give a good reason why these supposedly epic songs would not be released outside of "he doesn't want to" which is total bullshit. 

I would hope that a few of those would be released, given Slash said the upcoming songs would be more 'epic'. I don't necessarily think Perhaps in its Village Sessions version is epic, but who knows how it evolved over the years.

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I def want as many ChiDem leftover songs released as possible, but this is a great set list. I hope I can make a show this tour, now

Coma

Double Talkin’ Jive

Bad Obsession

Locomotive

Dead Horse

So Fine

Pretty Tied Up

Anything Goes

Reckless Life

Shadow of Your Love

Raw Power

Down on the Farm

That is a lot in terms of deep cuts considering the band only has 4 albums of original material and an EP. Not bad, all things considered. Never thought we’d get a reunion and songs like Reckless Life, Coma, and Anything Goes. I’ll take it.

I think it's nice they threw in some different songs but this is almost 10yrs later and (excluding covers) the set has grown by an extra 14 songs of original material that gets switched in and out? I personally don't think that's a great record. 

Yep, they have fack all music to pick from though, so I see your point. But what Gnr have done in almost 10yrs is what most bands do by the time they play the same city a year apart...for perspective. 

When the set list is so thin, you have be creative to hide that... Last night was a good step in the right direction, I just hope there's more to come and it's a real positive sign that Axl was willing to sing these on the first night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Brian only played on Catcher, Atlas and Rhiad. The solo on Perhaps is almost definitely Robin.

Man, He didn't play on Riad. 

Jesus,

look it

Highlight at show Dizzy using piano on Rocket Queen

The best version ever of Rocket Queen  

Edited by TheSlashrose
  • Like 1

With that setlist and a possible addition/release of Perhaps and Atlas I’ll probably buy a nosebleed ticket for Frankfurt. These fuckers always find a way to pull me back in.

Still, while I don’t wanna be the one nitpicking for stuff to complain about, I think that a lot of the songs are still very hard to listen to because of Axl sadly. Sure, he made it through a 3+ hours set without any major fuckups but you could tell he was struggling a lot. TIL, SOD and YCBM were almost unlistenable imo. Patience outro was a lot weaker than usual. And even though they added songs to benefit his voice, they only cut Better from the ones he sounded bad on during the previous tours.

And the saddest thing for me is, that his lower voice sounds still good and he should just embrace it and sing songs in a lower octave. Especially ballads like SOD, TIL or NR would benefit massively imo. I think this would also be the only way for GNR to tour for another 5-10 years. The band surely has another 10 years in them, but if Axl refuses to adapt to his diminishing vocal abilities, it might be over in 2-3 years…

To end on a positive note: what a setlist! The best since Inglewood 2017 at least. Looking forward to Monday.

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Not a big fan of pretty tied up with the low voice. Just has no fucking balls to it! Even with Melissa singing the top line.

For me the low voice can be used on certain songs, like NV and it probably wouldn't take away too much, but for these rockers it doesn't work outside of situations where Axl HAS to use it because he's under doctors orders. Tune the facking song down instead!! Verses sound right but the chorus sounds like a car driving in 6th gear going back to 4 or 5.

disagree. I was so relieved he stuck with the low voice. His high voice would have ruined the chorus for me.  Would be very similar to the way he does Slither. He busted out the high voice at the end and it sounded bad.  Save that shit for the ones he can sound good on like when he is beltimng Nightrrain Out... Or the end of It's So Easy and Nightrain.  

2 hours ago, Cory Trevor said:

if anybody from GnR camp reads this... the setlist from this show is why i'm buying tickets for toronto. it doesnt take much.

Yup.. I went to buy PIT tix for Boston last night. I ended up not getting them though after seeing the Live Nation fees were $140 fucking dollars PER TICKET.

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Coma

Double Talkin’ Jive

Bad Obsession

Locomotive

Dead Horse

So Fine

Pretty Tied Up

Anything Goes

Reckless Life

Shadow of Your Love

Raw Power

Down on the Farm

Attitude / New Rose 

You can’t put your arm around a memory

you’re crazy ( fast version ) 

1 hour ago, TheSlashrose said:

Man, He didn't play on Riad. 

Jesus,

look it

Highlight at show Dizzy using piano on Rocket Queen

The best version ever of Rocket Queen  

It sounds like they are trying for a Sympathy For The Devil jam there.. That could be pretty cool if they iron it out a bit more.

Guns N’ Roses setlist at Etihad Arena, Abu Dhabi on June 1 was:

‘It’s So Easy’

‘Bad Obsession’ (First time since February 6, 1993)

‘Chinese Democracy’

‘Slither’ (Velvet Revolver cover)

‘Pretty Tied Up’ (First time since April 6, 1992)

‘Welcome to the Jungle’

‘Mr. Brownstone’

‘Hard Skool’

‘Double Talkin’ Jive’

‘Reckless Life’

‘Absurd’

‘You Could Be Mine’

‘Down on the Farm’ (UK Subs cover) (First time since December 20, 2006)

‘Rocket Queen’

‘T.V. Eye’ (The Stooges cover) (Duff McKagan on vocals, Live debut)

‘Anything Goes’ (First time since August 1, 1988)

‘Civil War’ 

‘This I Love’ (First time since November 14, 2018)

‘Live and Let Die’ (Wings cover)

‘Estranged’

‘Sweet Child o’ Mine’

‘November Rain’

‘Wichita Lineman’ (Jimmy Webb cover)

‘Street of Dreams’

‘Nice Boys’ (Rose Tattoo cover) (First time since February 11, 2017)

‘Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door’ (Bob Dylan cover)

‘Nightrain’

‘Patience’

‘Don’t Cry’

‘My Michelle’ (First performance since November 29, 2017)

‘Paradise City’

1 hour ago, Carburetta said:

Really like PTU, it’s got a good riff. I’m glad we got the ‘ad libs’, Cool Ranch Dressing and The Perils of Rock n Roll decadence.

He forgot to do Perils at the beginning though, did it at the end instead. Hopefully he'll remember the "and I can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really want to know" bit for the end next time.

I know I'm biased because I'm a huge Matt fanboi but PTU, BO, and DOTF would sound better imo if he was there. The feel just isn't the same with Frank.

• Like 1