06/01/23- Abu Dhabi- Etihad Arena

14 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I gave Street Of Dreams a listen. I don't think it's nearly as bad as I was expecting based on the comments. Slash has done far worse on some of the Chinese songs with regards to mindless noodling, but there's definitely something there. I could feel it going in a good direction before Fortus took over on the second half. I think it kind of just proves that it would be better if he just sat and created something from scratch for them instead of improvising them every night. Chinese Democracy itself and Better are the only two he seems to be pretty consistent on for what he's come up with.

I love the Slash, and I love how no solo of his is ever quite the same thing twice, but I do find some of his renditions of things these days be it with Guns or Myles to be far removed from what he used to do. More speed and flashy driven versus the more nuanced approach.

I get that he's older, better, and obviously doing what comes naturally to him these days. He's changed and evolved, but I'd love to see these Chinese songs reinterpreted with "Classic Slash" solos as opposed to some hit or miss improvisation. Save that for the solo sections.

Agreed. And let's be honest, Slash isn't that good at the speedy, more shredding stuff. He should play to his strenghts, it's almost like he's evolving backwards :D

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Agreed. And let's be honest, Slash isn't that good at the speedy, more shredding stuff. He should play to his strenghts, it's almost like he's evolving backwards :D

I think that sums it up pretty well.  He does go off on one and once you’ve heard one, you’ve pretty much heard them all now.   If you played me one of his live solos after about 30 seconds in, I don’t think I would be able to differentiate what song it’s from.   It’s almost like he goes full on zen and into Slash mode, when his subconscious takes over.   He is.  Slash.  

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Nobody talks how they dropped You're Crazy...

What is there to talk about? They can't play every single song from their catalogue in one show. They might play You're Crazy later on this tour or they might not. You're Crazy is not exactly a staple on the setlist and if you're going to add a lot of new songs on your setlist you have to drop some other songs.

• Like 1

It looks like Axl lost some weight, it shows on his face. And the sneakers are a good look, instead of the hideous elf boots..

Seems like he practiced his breathing technique, the belting was stronger and the vocals overall more solid. 

Pleasant improvements!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

What is there to talk about? They can't play every single song from their catalogue in one show. They might play You're Crazy later on this tour or they might not. You're Crazy is not exactly a staple on the setlist and if you're going to add a lot of new songs on your setlist you have to drop some other songs.

If they brought back the fast You're Crazy and Think About You, they can basically play all of AFD at one show and still have 2 hours and 15 minutes to play other music from their catalogue if we're going off the time from the show the other night. They were playing 8, sometimes 9, songs a night from AFD at the beginning of NITL. They played 9 again the other night. Whats wrong with taking out a couple of songs of the set to get from 9 to 12? Would Axl be gassed? Oh yeah. Can it still happen though? Why not? 

I know GNR is no Pearl Jam, but Pearl Jam did it with multiple albums on their 2016 tour in different cities. I Doubt they would do all of UYI, but they've basically played all of Chinese Democracy at this point, so they might as well go for that as well, even if it does take getting Fortus to play straight leads on Rhiad, Shacklers, and Scraped.... 

I think this whole NITL/We're F'in Back thing is going to come to a close with a multi-month residency in Vegas. If thats at "The Joint" (if thats what it's even called anymore) or something as crazy as The Sphere, that would be the most GNR thing they could possibly do given Vegas relationship with Axl & Co post 2000. With that residency should come the playing of the bands whole recorded discography as well as all the covers they've decided to pick up over the last 7 years.. I'm talking everything from Move To The City to freaking Oh My God getting played. Guests galore. Adler? Izzy? Robin? Bucket? Maybe Tommy comes back and plays Motivation. Can you imagine 20 guitarists on stage behind Slash lmao. You get my point.. 

Or at least thats what I would do at this point. If you're still showing up, you're a diehard and this band changed your life, OR you have money and a torturous sense of nostalgia. This band should feel that and want to give back to the fans now that we've seen through the bullshit and realized they really are only doing this for money. 

The least they could do at this point is play ALL of the music that changed peoples lives to the people that are paying the generational wealth for each person on that stages' future family since 2016. 

Edited by KeyserSoze

Late to this thread, but I'll just say that as far as first nights go, this was pretty good. Awesome setlist and the band sounded reasonable for the first night. Looking forward to the rest of the shows on this tour.

It's funny looking back at the earlier messages on the thread with everyone being so pessimistic, and then getting PTU, Bad Obsession, Anything Goes, Down On The Farm etc, etc. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JasmineSwe said:

It looks like Axl lost some weight, it shows on his face. And the sneakers are a good look, instead of the hideous elf boots..

Seems like he practiced his breathing technique, the belting was stronger and the vocals overall more solid. 

Pleasant improvements!

Those Trousers are terrible

16 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Nobody talks how they dropped You're Crazy...

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They kind of already dropped it last year, they only played it once on the South American leg and once on the Australian leg.

The slow version should be a staple though...

I think they will play it for sure, and I hope they will play a slower version more.

On 6/3/2023 at 10:00 AM, 2020_Intensions said:

What does Slash & Duff consider to be "epic" these days? What did they ever consider to be epic? They apparently weren't into Estranged & November Rain ... I could totally see them dubbing Hard Skool and Absurd as "epic" unfortunately 

Good point. I do recall Slash saying that the next songs would be more epic or intricate than HS and Absurd, but that could easily fall into line for Perhaps or Atlas... Anything is more intricate than Absurd, and well, HS is just a simple rocker.

On 6/3/2023 at 6:40 PM, Ratam said:

Maybe i Colombian clinic help he too.

If it's possible, I'd definitely say it's likely. However, remember when he walked with a cane - I'd suggest it's probably more related to that. A lot of athletes are seeing great results with stem cell treatment. Who knows, it might be both. It isn't uncommon for athletes to have treatment on several joints.

• Like 1