06/01/23- Abu Dhabi- Etihad Arena

Well, I've just caught up on this and it's great to see that the band looks like they're back out and mean business. Axl definitely looks prepared and in better health than he has for years. Great setlist - especially for those who are more than casual fans. I can't bring myself to say Axl sounds great, but he definitely doesn't sound awful and it's a marked improvement on what we've seen. This is as good as it gets these days. Let's hope now for some new music being drip fed out like they did with Silkworms/Absurd and Hardskool, but hopefully it's more than just a couple of songs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B5Redeye said:

I watched a lot of the videos. Is it just me being the optimist or does it seem like Acl has put in some work in the off-season? To me he sounds much better.

There might be some AI assistance behind the scenes. Not enough to make Axl sound like UYI era Axl, but enough to make his voice more consistent.

• Haha 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

12 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

There might be some AI assistance behind the scenes. Not enough to make Axl sound like UYI era Axl, but enough to make his voice more consistent.

if you're not joking, just cause it's hard to tell from reading text alone, this just doesn't sound like Axl's style of doing things, basically faking his live performance which will be cheating.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

regardless, I’ll continue to go to as many shows as possible because once they’re gone, a major part of the history of music will be gone with them. Let’s just enjoy what we get while we still can. 

This.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

no. he refuses to use auto tune live despite using it on CD, so theres not a chance hes "enhancing" his voice with anything more than delay (at times). 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LlamaRenegade said:

For the most part he has been pretty respectful to the guitarists on CD. This is the quote I’m referring to though.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

On the song Better, instead of trying to play like Robin Finck trying to play like you - as per the recorded version - you chose to do your own thing…

“Some of the stuff I won’t do note-for-note because it doesn’t have a serious melodic significance to the song. It sounded like they were making it up...”

Not the case for some of the CD songs. This I Love springs to mind. Song should be dropped from the set but you can’t say that solo doesn’t have serious melodic significance or isn’t well constructed 

21 minutes ago, Cory Trevor said:

no. he refuses to use auto tune live despite using it on CD, so theres not a chance hes "enhancing" his voice with anything more than delay (at times). 

Yeah..  I don't think for one second he would agree to anything changing his voice live , personally.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Draguns said:

The ending with the keys sounds really good! 

His voice was really opening up on this. I think their set should be focussed more on this stuff and the low range material. Doesn't have the same ferocious style of his 20s/30s but it's more than acceptable! It's the middle of both where he has the most trouble

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, B5Redeye said:

I watched a lot of the videos. Is it just me being the optimist or does it seem like Acl has put in some work in the off-season? To me he sounds much better.

Maybe i Colombian clinic help he too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

if you're not joking, just cause it's hard to tell from reading text alone, this just doesn't sound like Axl's style of doing things, basically faking his live performance which will be cheating.

This, i recall when Axl mocked of RHCHP about the Super Bowl show years ago.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LlamaRenegade said:

Slash literally said he didn’t think most of the solos on Chinese Democracy had any “serious melodic significance,” and then noodles the fuck out of what he chooses to play instead. I love Slash, but that’s a huge slap in the face to fans of that material and its players.

Agree, and also it’s just incorrect. The solos on Chinese Democracy are very thought out and some of the best in Guns N’ Roses history. It feels like an attempt to kind of mitigate the fact that GNR still existed without him for a while.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Agree, and also it’s just incorrect. The solos on Chinese Democracy are very thought out and some of the best in Guns N’ Roses history. It feels like an attempt to kind of mitigate the fact that GNR still existed without him for a while.

Exactly. If Robin's solos on Better and This I Love are just him "making it up" on the spot I want to hear what it sounds like when he's actually trying 🙄

• Like 1