06/01/23- Abu Dhabi- Etihad Arena

8 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I don’t get this. Why would you go to see GN’R and want to hear more Melissa vocals over Axl’s? 

I’d gladly take full helium Mickey Axl over Melissa any day. 

More? No, I didn't say that.

Axl baritone high in the mix, Melissa high notes a little lower.

Also, I go to see the band, not Axl solo. She's in the band

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

Seriously? Is that set in stone?

Yeah, Glastonbury released the set times last week on their website. 

Maybe a bit of overrun, but probably not by much given how late it finishes anyway. Not sure how Glastonbury manage the late finish actually as no other festivals can. 

I'd say it will be a set firmly focussed on the bigger songs only, with a possible guest appearance from Angus Young for 'Back In Black'. 

SATURDAY

GUNS N' ROSES 21:30 - 23:45

LIZZO 19:30 - 20:30

LEWIS CAPALDI 17:35 - 18:35

AITCH 16:00 - 17:00

AMADOU & MARIAM 14:30 - 15:30

RAYE 13:15 - 14:00

RICK ASTLEY 12:00 - 12:45

Edited by allwaystired

7 hours ago, metallex78 said:
7 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Um, no he didn’t. Where did you get that info? :shocked:

Well we know that the UYI lineup recorded the song at some point in the early 90s and I recall Finck saying that he tailored his solo “to a version.”

Edited by rocknroll41

42 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

The General is the holy grail for fabs I think, but all the focus has been on Atlas for a potential single and until now to a lesser degree, Perhaps. The General has full vocals so surely it must be one of the tracks worked on? Unless Duff and Slash just didn't like it? We know Axl played them what he had so there must be tracks they liked and some they didn't. 

Soul Monster and The General might never be heard. 

Dude, don’t wanna burst your bubble, but we know absolutely nothing about stuff like focus, level of vocals completion, or what’s (not) being worked on. We have a whole lot of folk tales, assumptions, and speculations, but we have no leads or clues as to what they may or may not be working on, especially regarding the demos from 20+ years ago...
For all we know, The General has exactly the same chance of being released as Atlas Shrugged or Perhaps. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Dude, don’t wanna burst your bubble, but we know absolutely nothing about stuff like focus, level of vocals completion, or what’s (not) being worked on. We have a whole lot of folk tales, assumptions, and speculations, but we have no leads or clues as to what they may or may not be working on, especially regarding the demos from 20+ years ago...
For all we know, The General has exactly the same chance of being released as Atlas Shrugged or Perhaps. 

That's what I thought though, from what we can gather from the cell phone clip, General is a huge epic with complete vocals. But when potential new tracks are mentioned the focus has always been on Atlas and Perhaps. 

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

The General is the holy grail for fabs I think, but all the focus has been on Atlas for a potential single and until now to a lesser degree, Perhaps. The General has full vocals so surely it must be one of the tracks worked on? Unless Duff and Slash just didn't like it? We know Axl played them what he had so there must be tracks they liked and some they didn't. 

Soul Monster and The General might never be heard. 

What focus? You mean us fans' musings? The band hasn't made any indications towards what would be the next singles, except that Slash suggested the next singles would be not so simple in structure (I can't remember his wording). The one thing that strongly points towards Atlas is the fact that we know it was finished when CD came out. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Let's see what the setlist looks like 5-6 shows in after they settle in. It'll likely be 2h45 minute concert (which is great), but i think songs like PTU, Michelle, TIL, SOD, AG (not Witchita) will be bumped - with Sorry making a potential comeback. I was really hoping some of the usual suspects would take a back a seat this time around. Time will tell and we can say say that this has been the best 1st show in a very long time!

41 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

the good think with "perhaps" is that there is not really a guitar solo. So Slash can push up the song......when they will play it !!!

Are you sure you've listened to the demo? Its got a very prominent Brian May solo on it. 

Edited by SilverMachine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, Glastonbury released the set times last week on their website. 

Maybe a bit of overrun, but probably not by much given how late it finishes anyway. Not sure how Glastonbury manage the late finish actually as no other festivals can. 

I'd say it will be a set firmly focussed on the bigger songs only, with a possible guest appearance from Angus Young for 'Back In Black'. 

SATURDAY

GUNS N' ROSES 21:30 - 23:45

LIZZO 19:30 - 20:30

LEWIS CAPALDI 17:35 - 18:35

AITCH 16:00 - 17:00

AMADOU & MARIAM 14:30 - 15:30

RAYE 13:15 - 14:00

RICK ASTLEY 12:00 - 12:45

I would love to see Axl sing along with Brian Johnson, it would be awesome

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Well we know that the UYI lineup recorded the song at some point in the early 90s and I recall Finck saying that he tailored his solo “to a version.”

I never heard that. I only ever read in interviews that it was an Axl solo piece dating back to when he was quoted about in magazines in 1994. 

Not a big fan of pretty tied up with the low voice. Just has no fucking balls to it! Even with Melissa singing the top line.

For me the low voice can be used on certain songs, like NV and it probably wouldn't take away too much, but for these rockers it doesn't work outside of situations where Axl HAS to use it because he's under doctors orders. Tune the facking song down instead!! Verses sound right but the chorus sounds like a car driving in 6th gear going back to 4 or 5.

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

why do you think The General is "dead forever"?

Percentages. Slash said 5/6 songs. We now know 3 are absurd, hardschool, perhaps. Strongly suspect soul monster and atlas shrugged. That leaves 1 or maybe no other songs worked on. it didnt leak in 2019 and so far all the other 2 soon to be 3 did leak in 2019. It appeared ready for release in 2010 and for whatever reason it's not been mentioned since by anyone in the band. Best I think we can hope for now would be 2028 CD boxset version. Though it is probably the one GnR song I want to hear more than any other. 

7 minutes ago, jamillos said:

What? He didn't play on Riad, where did you get that. 

Tommy confirmed it a couple years ago, even mentioned Brian complaining about the "fucking jazz chords" on Rhiad. I thought it was common knowledge on here at this point, I'm surprised to still see people claiming Brian's on Perhaps...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexC said:

Seriously? Is that set in stone?

They're down for 2 hour 15 on the lineup, though there is a 15 minute leeway, so if they started on time they could get 2 hour 30 in maximum before they're cut. 

Edited by JimiRose

9 minutes ago, jamillos said:

What? He didn't play on Riad, where did you get that. 

Tommy confirmed he played on Riad, but we’ve never heard that version.

3 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Percentages. Slash said 5/6 songs. We now know 3 are absurd, hardschool, perhaps. Strongly suspect soul monster and atlas shrugged. That leaves 1 or maybe no other songs worked on. it didnt leak in 2019 and so far all the other 2 soon to be 3 did leak in 2019. It appeared ready for release in 2010 and for whatever reason it's not been mentioned since by anyone in the band. Best I think we can hope for now would be 2028 CD boxset version. Though it is probably the one GnR song I want to hear more than any other. 

I actually think the fact that Axl played it at a party alongside Absurd in 2010 gives it a better chance than others.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Tommy confirmed it a couple years ago, even mentioned Brian complaining about the "fucking jazz chords" on Rhiad. I thought it was common knowledge on here at this point, I'm surprised to still see people claiming Brian's on Perhaps...

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Tommy confirmed he played on Riad, but we’ve never heard that version.

I actually think the fact that Axl played it at a party alongside Absurd in 2010 gives it a better chance than others.

Oh ok, but it's not the one from CD. This probably escaped me but phew. 

To me, never releasing The General, Seven, Thyme, Oklahoma, Soul Monster would be the strangest decision Axl has ever made ... Literally cannot give a good reason why these supposedly epic songs would not be released outside of "he doesn't want to" which is total bullshit. 

• Like 2