Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

The song is not much different from the Demo imo, bit weird work on the beginning of the solo but I don't think it's the final version?? All in all its a good song but it lacks the punch GN'R and Axl are known for, it's not a song to give you goosebumps. I do love how the piano chords and drums align in the song and the lyrics are nice. 

28 minutes ago, Caedo said:

Yeah I have a bar with Jukebox but no way of adding credits to the app it seems :/

have you tried listening to certain taylor swift songs from the eras playlist? it gives you 5 free credits

https://www.touchtunes.com/tstheerastour?utm_source=website&utm_medium=hp_banner&utm_campaign=tserastour

*Offer and credit redemption valid until 8/15/23 2:59AM EDT. One redemption per mobile account. Free credits expire 30 days from redemption. Purchased credits never expire. 

edit: nvm, you'll have to have credits in the first place to play songs

Edited by BucketEgg

56 minutes ago, vloors said:

Original catcher wirh May was good. It was slaughtered on the CD version though.

Agreed. Original demo was great, like most of the original songs before they were overproduced. Poor Axl, everyone around him kept hounding him and reminding him that he would never be anything without slash that he actual forgot how talented he really was in those days. Always felt had CD been released in ‘99 as is was, it would have done very well. 

2 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Brother, if you didn’t even like anything from Chinese Democracy, then I don’t know what to tell you. There are some killer tracks on there. The coda to TWAT is probably Axl’s finest moment in studio, vocally. 

You probably haven't heard his vocals in TIL the Brain remix. Nothing comes even close to that.

Just now, jamillos said:

You probably haven't heard his vocals in TIL the Brain remix. Nothing comes even close to that.

Ohhh, I have. Those are delicious. But I still think this: “I would do anything for you. There was a time I WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR YOUuuuuuu.” Is spectacular. Chills. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I see it's been discussed on HTGTH, too (discussion still banned on GN'R Reddit).

Posted by a user at HTGTH:

2023_596.jpg

Lol damn it - I guess my ass is gonna hack it to MetLife afterall. It’s supposed to RAIN tomorrow too and sales are LOW and they papered the show so who knows how many people are actually gonna make it… ugggggghhhhh why can’t this be a semi normal band 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, inho said:

Absolutely remarkable that it’s being discussed on Pravda… is jarmo asleep??

I don't know, but from having a look there from time to time it seems that there's almost no censorship now.

Anyway, it seems that radio stations have it ready to go but can't play it yet.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know, but from having a look there from time to time it seems that there's almost no censorship now.

Anyway, it seems that radio stations have it ready to go but can't play it yet.

The user @rocknroll41 is working in Radio and told us yesterday, that stations receive the tracks at the very last moment nowadays in prevention for any leaks... 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

7 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

The user @rocknroll41 is working in Radio and told us yesterday, that stations receive the tracks at the very last moment nowadays in prevention for any leaks... 

Maybe some radio station did receive it "last minute" before the scheduled Aug. 11 release, but then it was postponed at the last-last minute.

A few offhand comments regarding the song:

I'm still just not a fan of the bones of this song. It's death by mid-tempo. Axl's vocal tone doesn't really do it for me at all, and a lot of that is likely down to the fact that there's just not enough going on melodically in the verse. The "hey heys" and the "uuuUUUUUUAAAAH"s just sound silly, almost like filler pieces in place of where a better melody might have gone. The chorus *begins* good - the scratchy, angry sounding Axl vocal - until the "you're all alooooone" line, which resolves the melody in a way I find to be dissatisfying.

Even worse, for such a short song, it feels like it goes on forever. Probably because, again, the "hey heys" make each verse seem twice as long as it is. Meanwhile, following the solo, the song just...starts over again for a whole new cycle. It's as if the band came up with a verse and a chorus but couldn't come up with another part to the song.

I'll hold off on commenting on the backing track - it didn't sound drastically different to my ears, but I have a feeling I was sitting next to the left speaker, so it's possible that some more sonic action was going on on the right side of the bar that I didn't hear as well because I had the rhythm guitar pumped so strong on my side. I'll give it another listen in an hour or so - there's a bar just next door.

Slash's solo isn't great but, to be fair, I think Robin's is overhyped as well. Both of them are just guitar solos slapped onto a song. Robin's might work better, but it's still nothing mind-blowing.

I *really* don't hear any of the Catcher In The Rye comparisons, other than they're both piano-driven tunes. Catcher has so much more going on melodically, its structure is magnificent, it has a beautiful solo, and the ending manages to push the song to an epic conclusion. It's a masterpiece. Catcher In The Rye sounds like the end of innocence, like losing a friend, like losing a time in your life. Perhaps sounds like you walked into a shitty saloon at a cheap, Wild West-themed amusement park to buy a $14 soda and $18 chicken tenders while a low-rate bar band attempts to play "Mary Jane's Last Dance."

That said, I'm thrilled that this song is out. I want it out of the way. It's a bummer that it's going to take up a setlist spot, but so be it. Still, I'm glad it's released because it means we're closer to them releasing the other two shitty songs they have left - Atlas Shrugged and State of Grace - and then maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to hear something unreleased that I actually like. Hopefully The General doesn't suck, if I ever get to hear it.

14 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

If you showed people tracks like TWAT, SOD, TIL, Better, etc, and just said it’s Slash, people would regard CD as one of the best albums of all time.

I agree, maybe not one of the greatest albums of all time but certainly a worthy addition to the Guns canon. Classic Rock Magazine were absolutely floored by the leaks and declared Chinese their album of the year in 2007 as a result. They were super positive about NuGuns - rave live reviews, gushing about the new music etc. 

I think Robin's This I Love solo is phenomenal, up there with the top GN'R solos for me and given his reputation for being a bit sloppy live was amazed when I heard it. 

I think the key thing working against Chinese was how long it took to come out and the short track count. I remember as a kid thinking 'is that it?' when the track listing finally dropped as I'd heard most of the songs before. I mean, I’d only got into Guns properly in 2006 so hadn’t exactly had a long wait so for long term fans felt that even more. Indeed, when the album actually came out Classic Rock Magazine whilst complementary seemed a bit underwhelmed. 

Edited by BassistSeb

1 hour ago, ZODIAC said:
1 hour ago, Its Tino said:

Slightly off topic, but I think these 3 songs were always intended as the next singles. Even IF there are more “finished” songs from the era. 

How do you come to this conclusion? If I had to bet, I would've said atlas was at least one of the singles, they'd gone with...  🤷‍♂️

Nothing but speculation of course. If the plan was to always release singles and that wasn't spurred on by the locker leaks or some other force that can move Axl to release music, it's not crazy to think these were the intended singles. Hard Skool and Perhaps cover the hard rockers and the piano rockers and Absurd..uh, it lowered expectations and was a fun live song. But all three are drastically different enough from one another that it covers all the bases like CD itself did. 

There likely are more finished songs in the vault. But it has always been suspicious that these were the selected songs to be released as singles, and the other rumored songs are either other songs from that era (OMG) or the only other song that hasn't been leaked officially but we know has vocals (the General.) So yeah, if there actually were only 10 or so finished songs not on CD, then these three track as the ones to be released.

Atlas on its own would have made a fine single too. But I'd speculate the growth of the cult like following behind the book Atlas Shrugged (I know it's always had a strong political follow, but the last 15 years its boomed) and Axl's outward political views may make it a song he'd rather not release it. Not that anything about the song is about that novel, but people be people. 

2 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

The "hey heys" and the "uuuUUUUUUAAAAH"s just sound silly, almost like filler pieces in place of where a better melody might have gone

its classic axl sounds what are you talking about

Edited by kingcanyon
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, kingcanyon said:

its classic axl sounds what are you talking about

Yeah, and the "yeah!" and "Ooooh!" and ending each line with an "-ah" is a classic James Hetfield sound. But it can be overdone and silly. This is a case of that.

Also - did I miss something? Earlier in the thread someone implied that Slash and Duff approached Axl with these songs, and Axl said okay or at least didn't say 'no.' Why do we think this? Was this stated in an interview somewhere?

It was my understanding that Axl told Slash and Duff 'these are the next songs I want to release,' and they got to work. Not the other way around.