Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

8 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Hopefully I can tell you on Friday. 

Now that it's in your brain, and something you actually look out for while listening, don't be surprised when this is you on friday during those exact 2 seconds

pointing-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

(I still think people who hear it for the first time and don't know of any of this shit will just recognize it as just another different guitar doing a high note before Slashs solo. It really doesn't matter)

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Haha 1

Just release the song. Considering some thought the HS artwork was tongue-in-cheek with the lockers and such, they're probably scrambling to update the Perhaps artwork with some jackass jukebox-inspired garbage.

Better stop giving them ideas, or the song will be pushed back to the 25th.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They should've just released it today, and debut it live tomorrow. No real reason to hold onto the song for one more week. :shrugs:

This is GNR, if something has an obvious solution, you take that, and just do the exact opposite of that

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

CD was a multi year cut and paste job. It’s why there are good parts in a lot of the songs, but virtually all of them are soulless and missing something in totality. There’s a reason most albums aren’t made this way. 

Nearly every single album is made this way. Ok not to the extent of CD, but generally a band writes a song together. When it's recorded all parts are done separately. this process can be weeks, months, years. they over dub. re record. edit, play around on pro tools. change the solo again, re record. individually. It's just a myth that CD is soulless because of how it's recorded. Its more likely to be you dont particularly like the songs, and an easy reason is because you know how it was recorded and use that as a reason. i dont think bands have gone into the studio and recorded albums 'live' in the same room for decades. I know Slash tries to with SMKC and the foos did a few times on tape over pro tools, but it just isnt really done anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Nearly every single album is made this way. Ok not to the extent of CD, but generally a band writes a song together. When it's recorded all parts are done separately. this process can be weeks, months, years. they over dub. re record. edit, play around on pro tools. change the solo again, re record. individually. It's just a myth that CD is soulless because of how it's recorded. Its more likely to be you dont particularly like the songs, and an easy reason is because you know how it was recorded and use that as a reason. i dont think bands have gone into the studio and recorded albums 'live' in the same room for decades. I know Slash tries to with SMKC and the foos did a few times on tape over pro tools, but it just isnt really done anymore.

Yeah but your normal editing and re-recording isn't why it sounds disjointed. Recording in multiple studios over a decade while throwing in a bunch of different parts by different players to see what fits, sometimes cutting back and forth between different years of performances, sounds different than taking 2 years to record an album made up of a band of the same 5 dudes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

Yeah but your normal editing and re-recording isn't why it sounds disjointed. Recording in multiple studios over a decade while throwing in a bunch of different parts by different players to see what fits, sometimes cutting back and forth between different years of performances, sounds different than taking 2 years to record an album made up of a band of the same 5 dudes.

True, CD is certainly extreme in the way it was made and obv these singles. But I don't think it changes much, you can't pick out a song on CD and say it sounds wrong because these drums are recorded in x place and the bass was recorded in y place. that's the beauty of protools. you could record it in your living room and just be a great producer on pro tools and no one would be able to tell. 

4 hours ago, ZODIAC said:
4 hours ago, Its Tino said:

Slightly off topic, but I think these 3 songs were always intended as the next singles. Even IF there are more “finished” songs from the era. 

How do you come to this conclusion? If I had to bet, I would've said atlas was at least one of the singles, they'd gone with...  🤷‍♂️

I agree and I bet it will get released

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

I obviously don’t mean cut and paste is literally the problem. Doing that in the moment or around the same time is one thing…cutting and pasting different eras together is more the issue. That’s not how you create timeless songs that people respond to. Also you can tinker around too much and it kills the energy/vitality of a tune. Axl did it numerous times. The Blues/SOD being one example. Catcher, TWAT,etc etc

• Like 1

If the definition of insanity is repeating the same task and expecting a different outcome, Gn'R fans must be the most insane of all :) It doesn't feel like anything has changed since 1999 and yet here we all are expecting the band to be a normal band doing normal band things :)

38 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

They need to write some new (better) stuff then.

I see what they're doing right now the same way as the Axl songs from UYI, like Breakdown for example, which is an Axl song, he gave it to the band and they worked on it. This is what's happening now, the band are working on Axl songs only at the moment, and once those are out of the way, we will get to the Slash written stuff..one day.

Atleast that's the trajectory I'm seeing for future releases. At this current pace of 2 songs every 2 years that's not gonna happen maybe at all ever. I mean what reason was there to hold onto Perhaps for 2 years after Hard Skool, there is no rhyme or reason to anything.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Of course, albums are created through editing and splicing - which is why producing and engineering is an artwork of its own. 

The problem with CD isn't that it's edited together - it's that it *sounds like it.* There are several choppy vocal cuts, several points where you can quite literally hear an edit. Some instruments have a healthy room sound - others sound direct into the mixing desk, all within the same track.

• Like 2

This band has always been dysfunctional. One could argue from day one. AFD was the perfect storm/lightning in a bottle, etc and even at the beginning it was not universally praised. After that it’s always been occasionally WTF for certain things, and also lots of negativity regarding musical directions, experimentation, etc. Obviously, in the CD era, all has been magnified. 

Also, and there’s something consistent in the fact that they didn’t give a fuck then or now what people think. This has persisted throughout.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Please let someone with a clue as to how the music business works take over managing this band. I’m begging you. 

Not only does this not make sense from a human standpoint - why would these people willingly unemploy themselves? - but it also doesn't work that way from an operational standpoint. They don't hire the hypothetical next manager. That's Axl. They serve one client: Axl Rose. 

• Like 1