Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

Just now, El Guapo said:

It is what it is - a Chinese leftover track, b-side material at best compared to the real GnR material from back in the day.

I just hope that the next songs (if there will ever be any) are NOT Atlas and/ or SOG.

Why wouldn't they be? This band doesn't have a great track record of releasing songs that haven't leaked. Other that Scraped and TIL are there any songs that have been released that haven't leaked prior to the release? Maybe ITW, or don't recall if it leaked pre-Body of Lies.

7 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

The song is okay. It definitely has its catchier parts. I like it more than the first two since it at least sounds a bit better. But I don't really have many more positives to share. Slash's "solo" is barely a solo at all. Sure, it fits the song and isn't over-the-top and flashy. However, it's painfully plain. You take Slash's solo out of there and it would make zero difference in the song. You would never say that about most of the work in GNR's discography, CD included. It's just kinda depressing to hear such a forgettable solo when a truly good one could've lifted this song to a new height. You can tell the solo is shit when people are talking about certain bends here and there, how it transitions awkwardly, etc. When you're talking about these little details and not how the solo floored you, then the solo failed to do its job.

I don't like effects on Axl's vocals either. It's fine to have them in certain places, but he's had effects on his vocals in all three songs released now. Just wanna hear the dude's natural voice. Add an effect here and there and call it a day. I think that's one of the other issues, the production. On all three songs they suffer from a significant amount of tinkering and I know, I know, we weren't supposed to hear the demos. But those sound so much more organic and like a band actually playing along. These new songs sound artificial. I guess that's what happens when you insert parts here and there and try to fuse something together.

Overall, the song is okay. Mostly forgettable, but it does have catchy elements. Glad people are enjoying it. I'm still looking forward to seeing what's next, if anything. But these songs so far aren't blowing my skirt up, honestly.

The production issues are noticeable not because we've heard the demo, but because it's nearly at 25-year old song that's been tinkered with. They could have just recorded the entire thing fresh but :axl:

Edited by Coma16
  • Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

Alrighty, listened to it in Aus on YT premium. Miles better than the radio version! Its better paced at 3.48 long and the mixing is super good in comparison.

Feel bad for anyone that listened to it on iheart radio and thought that was the actual sound.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, downzy said:

This is a song for Guns N' Roses fans, particularly fans from the Chinese Democracy (and maybe from the Illusions era).

But I really don't see how this sticks with the casual or non-fans like a traditional single might.

I think you really need to like Axl's singing voice to get into this song.  It's akin to Don't Damn Me...  Both are good songs but if you can't get into or past Axl's vocal stylings you're not going to make it too far.  But I chuckle a bit when I hear people claim this song is a bit more radio-friendly.  How many radio-friendly songs of late have thrashy-metal sounding vocals in the chorus?  

I think another obstacle of it hitting with a more casual fan base is the lack of a distinctive Slash guitar part/solo.  At least Hard Skool had that soaring guitar solo that could hook rock fans who aren't in love with Axl's voice.  This has a little guitar interlude that gives the song a pause.  I'd hardly call it a "solo."

It's a really enjoyable song for this Guns N' Roses fan. 

That said, I would recommend people take it for what it is and worry less about whether it will resonate with the general public.  

At this stage, hoping for a bonafide GNR radio hit is a pipedream. If they managed to pull a November Rain 2 out of their ass, it might be possible, but times are different. We should enjoy the songs for what they are.

• Like 1

It’s a good song. I wish they’d release whatever else they have  

As far as it being radio friendly or any thoughts of GnR capturing some part of the cultural zeitgeist? None of that matters and it’s a pretty high bar for those types of expectations or hope. Who listens to radio? 

It’s “success” or however you want to measure it shouldn’t matter to us. It’s impossible to compare to the past. Do you enjoy the song or not? 

3 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Getting torn to pieces on FB article comment sections ... The casuals have spoken ... They hate it!

Comment sections tend to be negative in general 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Getting torn to pieces on FB article comment sections ... The casuals have spoken ... They hate it!

i've seen comments in the past of people saying songs like Sweet Child, Estranged & november rain are shit comments are nothing they just say those things because they want to fit in with others saying its bad

• ABSUЯD 1