Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, in early 2001. But why do we think that song is the General? It's likely that the General didn't even exist as a song at that time.

But it’s also very possible it did exist in some fashion. Marco worked on The General in 2002. So either they wrote it while working with him or it existed prior to 2002. I imagine before they’d bring him in the core structure would have to have been done. I’m not agreeing the songs about child abuse. I’m also not doubting it. But I do believe The General predates 01/02. It’s entirely possible The General was a song heavily revamped from an older demo/idea along the way. 

Side Note: Personally I’d love to see Single EPs released showing demos from the conception idea to the final matured vision. Have a release of like 5 different versions of a single song from 1998 to 2023 or whatever. I think it would be neat for hardcore fans. But I also realize it would be difficult in crediting people

• Like 2
  • PERHAPS 1

Even the forum has upgraded today! It's all happening and yet we have more to come....

By the way. Quick question...who's on other (lesser) forums? I used to be back in the day, just settled on the best and only it now....I am intrigued by the reaction on them and how today's events have gone down? Anyone on others gauging this? I venture to Reddit (it's just mad) a bit but others? 

2 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

But it’s also very possible it did exist in some fashion. Marco worked on The General in 2002. So either they wrote it while working with him or it existed prior to 2002. I imagine before they’d bring him in the core structure would have to have been done. I’m not agreeing the songs about child abuse. I’m also not doubting it. But I do believe The General predates 01/02. It’s entirely possible The General was a song heavily revamped from an older demo/idea along the way. 

Side Note: Personally I’d love to see Single EPs released showing demos from the conception idea to the final matured vision. Have a release of like 5 different versions of a single song from 1998 to 2023 or whatever. I think it would be neat for hardcore fans. But I also realize it would be difficult in crediting people

Folks also seem to try to fit anything they hear about or find into what was included in the Village "locker" leaks. There's no doubt additional material existed back then, that were not part of those leaks.

Just now, Sweersa said:

Folks also seem to try to fit anything they hear about or find into what was included in the Village "locker" leaks. There's no doubt additional material existed back then, that were not part of those leaks.

Exactly, and some of those demos could certainly have morphed into other known songs. Or could have been just abandoned all together. Even with as much material as there was on the village discs. It was only a piece of the puzzle. Nice size one for us. But could be small in the grand scheme. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I just wish they'd released the whole lot together though. Considering how small the Guns catalogue is, wouldn't it have felt better to Axl to group Hard Skool, Absurd, Perhaps, The General and Atlas together and have another EP to add to their discography?

That's probably coming Christmas time to attract $$$ for presents...

20 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Facebook boomers who want to reminisce their youth are expecting more AFD-like garbage (apparently they don't know that Slash has been doing exactly that for 3 consecutive albums). So you can rule out Facebook on any positive reviews.

YouTube, Reddit and Twitter (of all places) are more positive than negative.

The Rolling Stone review has been the one I liked the most.

I think I know what you are getting however, i do not get any AFD vibes from Slash, not that it's bad, it's pretty straightforward rock n roll which I persoanlly like but AFD had a lot of guitar interplay between the guitars with different layers. 

2 hours ago, diablo9333 said:

In my opinion, Slash and Duff probably agreed to rework these Chinese Democracy songs as a diplomatic gesture. It's a good way to rebuild trust with Axl after decades of fighting. 

Definitely. I'm glad people are enjoying it. I know live I will definitely be singing and excited to hear these songs...even Absurd for some reason. 

For me, I have a lot of love for this band and then I see how a band like Helloween handled their reunion and it just seems perfect. GnR gave me the biggest blue balls for the last 7 years due to lack of material and it's been painful. Helloween reunited and kicked ass by releasing an amazing new album that blew up and everyone was on board; hoped for the sake with GnR since they started it all for me. 

Looking forward to hearing the songs live for the first time.

13 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

Exactly, and some of those demos could certainly have morphed into other known songs. Or could have been just abandoned all together. Even with as much material as there was on the village discs. It was only a piece of the puzzle. Nice size one for us. But could be small in the grand scheme. 

A piece of the puzzle in 2000....there were 8 other years after of varying spurts of recording, so....a tiny piece, one would assume....I'd imagine no track that was set for vocals remained exactly the same post those discs....like how often those Chinese songs morphed before it went gold for example....

21 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I know what you're getting at here but really, AFD and garbage do not belong in the same sentence. :lol:

Obviously not! But whatever that may come out for trying to recreate it, is.

Thankfully Gn’R is much more than AFD. But some people never understood that :/ 

• Like 4

I always liked perhaps - although this feels a little layered versus the village demo (although I’ve not listed to it in a while).

Unlike much of the more recent stuff you can sing the top line, has a bit of a obvious hook. It’s not a world beater but it’s just enjoyable and also a little different from everything we’ve heard from Axl or any other gunners in some time.

I'm not remotely interested in what anyone thinks of new GNR stuff outside of the people who post on this board. 

Many people that attend GNR gigs barely give a shit or know what song is being played, so their views and opinions are utterly irrelevant to me.

I know lots of genuine fans don't post on forums, but the views of a bunch of people posting on social media? I couldn't give a fuck. 

Just keep releasing stuff please GNR! 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, GNR4Ever2024 said:

Really? Nothing from negativity from those old farts.

They listen to Jazz on there 50,000 dollar  setup not rock 

Lol. People on here not being able to see that Perhaps is a song people mind find forgettable or bland. 

Get out of your little GnR-hole. :)

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos

Did you all catch the cameos of John 5 and Tommy from Motley and Dave Grohl during the video.  Lucky for us Lars wasn't invoilved or it would never see the light of day :rofl-lol:.

Just my two cents but could the song be about Kurt Cobain,  We know Axl was upset at Nirvanas "rejection" of the offer tour tour with Guns, His sense of rejection lead to anger "no excuse for my behavior", Also the line "you held the Gun that took my saviour"  ...hmmmm

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm dying with the new reaction of Perhaps :lol:image.png.77fd169a25cfc40c1bb0be0b7a961b57.png

Hey that’s my sig:perhaps:

22 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm not remotely interested in what anyone thinks of new GNR stuff outside of the people who post on this board. 

Many people that attend GNR gigs barely give a shit or know what song is being played, so their views and opinions are utterly irrelevant to me.

I know lots of genuine fans don't post on forums, but the views of a bunch of people posting on social media? I couldn't give a fuck. 

Just keep releasing stuff please GNR! 

Truth rock3

• PERHAPS 1