Atlas Shrugged (November Release?)

10 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Axl said the 1999 version was a demo because it was not well received at the time. Everyone including the hard core fan base at the time hated it myself included. I remember being beyond disappointed the first time I heard it on the radio. Now it didn’t take long for it to grow to people and many people now like it. But it was not a demo in 1999. I know he worked on it more but I cannot imagine why. It’s not that great of a song and it had already been mixed, mastered, and officially released. 

I’m not denying it wasn’t officially released, mastered, etc. but that doesn’t mean they didn’t polish up a demo and prematurely released it. Sean Beaven even talks about it on the Appetite for Distortion where it was a last minute decision to put out the song for the End Of Days movie and spending all night getting the mixing done, etc. 
We know the song has been worked on subsequent to 1999 and even considered for CD2, which further supports it as a demo then. 
I expect a Slashed up version, or at the very least, as a bonus track. 

Just now, Sweersa said:

I’m not denying it wasn’t officially released, mastered, etc. but that doesn’t mean they didn’t polish up a demo and prematurely released it. Sean Beaven even talks about it on the Appetite for Distortion where it was a last minute decision to put out the song for the End Of Days movie and spending all night getting the mixing done, etc. 
We know the song has been worked on subsequent to 1999 and even considered for CD2, which further supports it as a demo then. 
I expect a Slashed up version, or at the very least, as a bonus track. 

but Axl said it wasn't taken seriously so just because they tinkered with it some more and it was on a list, doesn't mean they planned to rerelease it, and I don't see the point of doing so outside of being a part of a Chinese box set or I guess as a part of a remix album.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

but Axl said it wasn't taken seriously so just because they tinkered with it some more and it was on a list, doesn't mean they planned to rerelease it, and I don't see the point of doing so outside of being a part of a Chinese box set or I guess as a part of a remix album.

Right, but I don't think Axl was describing the leaked Oh My God we got years ago with Bumblefoot and Bucket, because what he described didn't fit that version/mix of the song. 

Axl Rose: "There's a remix with lots of new vocals and a wilder guitar intro, but it's not taken all that seriously."

The leaked one with Buckethead and Bumblefoot has the same intro, or at least one that sounds similar to the '99 version, and no new vocals that I can discern. 

I suppose it's possible they worked the version that leaked into what he described.

Just to be clear, the fake artwork for Atlas came from a different place. The Has it Leaked twitter account didn't use it or quote it. They didn't predict Perhaps (and The General) before though. Doesn't mean much IMO because I'd consider normal to have the first single in a more tight-lipped approach, but the other stuff may have plans not as secretive.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I understand what everyone is saying about OMG and I agree that it wasn't a demo - it was just poorly mixed and didn't have enough work back then. But keep in mind that the band released Shadow of your Love as a single with a new mix (and newly recorded overdubs and/or vocals) even if it was already released as a B side before. It still could happen with OMG too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I understand what everyone is saying about OMG and I agree that it wasn't a demo - it was just poorly mixed and didn't have enough work back then. But keep in mind that the band released Shadow of your Love as a single with a new mix (and newly recorded overdubs and/or vocals) even if it was already released as a B side before. It still could happen with OMG too.

SOYL was rereleased as a single as a part of the AFD box set, or in connection with that box set.

7 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Yes, but with a different mix and intended to work as a standalone single too. My point was that they revisited the song and reworked it.

yeah I understand, but it at least to me it makes more sense to rerelease such an old song in connection to a box set of their most popular release. Not rerelease a reworked version of OMG, which had a poor reception among the casuals.

I agree it's still possible it could get rereleased, I just think it would be pathetic even if to me OMG is a great song. I guess it's my own personal perference that Gn'R would move forward when it comes to studio material.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Atlas19 said:

Just saw this on Reddit.... maybe fake.... but here is the link. Judge by yourselves...

There's album title, release date, artwork and tracklist

That illustration has been made with AI, anatomically speaking doesn't make any sense (also look at the hands and feet, and how both legs of the pants are fused together. Also the placement of logos is very amateur.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Just to be clear, the fake artwork for Atlas came from a different place. The Has it Leaked twitter account didn't use it or quote it. They didn't predict Perhaps (and The General) before though. Doesn't mean much IMO because I'd consider normal to have the first single in a more tight-lipped approach, but the other stuff may have plans not as secretive.

The 4chan/reddit 'leaks' containing the fake Atlas artwork also predicted Atlas for November. That prediction spread across the boards, Reddit and social media. Has it Leaked obviously reported a rumour of Atlas releasing in the same month after the 4chan/reddit stuff was already out and had spread. It is not impossible that they saw the earlier 4chan/reddit info or were tipped off by someone else who saw it.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

12 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

The 4chan/reddit 'leaks' containing the fake Atlas artwork also predicted Atlas for November. That prediction spread across the boards, Reddit and social media. Has it Leaked obviously reported a rumour of Atlas releasing in the same month after the 4chan/reddit stuff was already out and had spread. It is not impossible that they saw the earlier 4chan/reddit info or were tipped off by someone else who saw it.

Yes. But then again, I figured that a 10 year old Twitter account focused in leaks wouldn't base a rumour on 4chan/reddit info without at least checking with their own sources. I may have assumed too much about them though, I've never heard about them prior to this. But at least there are some people who follow them, like Weezer's River Cuomo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

If they do a new album (lol), then I’d be fine with OMG taking up a slot. I’d assume that would be the case because they’d want to take the path of least resistance and use stuff that’s already mostly done. If they’re going the route of singles though, then I feel like it would be a huge waste of time and a big disappointment for fans, when we still have stuff theoretically out there like Atlas and Soul Monster. I think a lot of people feel the same which is why we’re so resistant to a release of it again. 

16 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

If they do a new album (lol), then I’d be fine with OMG taking up a slot. I’d assume that would be the case because they’d want to take the path of least resistance and use stuff that’s already mostly done. If they’re going the route of singles though, then I feel like it would be a huge waste of time and a big disappointment for fans, when we still have stuff theoretically out there like Atlas and Soul Monster. I think a lot of people feel the same which is why we’re so resistant to a release of it again. 

For sure. It is what I want too: to have more new songs, not rehashed releases. I love OMG the way it is, including Dave Navarro's underrated solo. The only thing I really would like is a revamped mix, with better drum sound and clearer vocals.

Being realistic though, I don't think any kind of rerelease would happen unless it's aid another thing. Like the band rereleasing it with reworked arrangement, but not as a standalone single. More like a bonus, a B-side or something just to add to the physical release. 

• PERHAPS 1

That artwork is probably fake.  Would be awesome if it wasn’t.  However the perhaps and hardskool artwork are nothing special so honestly the Ai stuff is honestly better artwork if that’s what it is.

Edited by UYI4

1 hour ago, UYI4 said:

That artwork is probably fake.  Would be awesome if it wasn’t.  However the perhaps and hardskool artwork are nothing special so honestly the Ai stuff is honestly better artwork if that’s what it is.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this artwork, while the one for Perhaps was spot on good stuff

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

i would not mind hearing the redone omg it got be better then the 1999 demo version and yes i agree with axl omg being a demo version

I might be a little stoned, but am I crazy or would Atlas sound great as an acoustic song? Strip it right down and have Axl sing it mostly baritone (similar to Wichita). It wouldn't have quite as 'epic' of an opening but overall it would work better.

@StrangerInThisTown I still don't think they'll save this song, and we agree it's mediocre, but an acoustic overhaul would probably work really well. The song has good parts but it sounds like a mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I might be a little stoned, but am I crazy or would Atlas sound great as an acoustic song? Strip it right down and have Axl sing it mostly baritone (similar to Wichita). It wouldn't have quite as 'epic' of an opening but overall it would work better.

@StrangerInThisTown I still don't think they'll save this song, and we agree it's mediocre, but an acoustic overhaul would probably work really well. The song has good parts but it sounds like a mess.

Could be kinda cool, to be honest anything that reworks the instrumental will be an improvement to me haha. It would definitely be interesting to get a full acoustic song released by the band as a single, be it this or something else

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

So remmeber...According to Bumblefoot, one song, "Atlas Shrugged", was cut at the last second because of CD playing-time constraints...so it makes me wonder how progressed that song was by 2008 compared to the early demo on LL which was just a bit over 4 minutes. If it was still that length, it would of had no problem fitting on ChiDem twice ! As it's a 71 min ish LP. So the hope is, that it got more epic and a much longer solo....I know we've said the "Glam November Rain" was a bad description but demos can sound very different to near final mixes....perhaps this one did morph quite a bit, if it was finished ready to go for Chinese....LL sounds very early....So I'm sure this is one like Absurd that Axl wanted done and finished....So if it doesn't come out on an EP this year, most likely by 2025....hopefully with something like Soul Monster for company....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

So remmeber...According to Bumblefoot, one song, "Atlas Shrugged", was cut at the last second because of CD playing-time constraints...so it makes me wonder how progressed that song was by 2008 compared to the early demo on LL which was just a bit over 4 minutes. If it was still that length, it would of had no problem fitting on ChiDem twice ! As it's a 71 min ish LP. So the hope is, that it got more epic and a much longer solo....I know we've said the "Glam November Rain" was a bad description but demos can sound very different to near final mixes....perhaps this one did morph quite a bit, if it was finished ready to go for Chinese....LL sounds very early....So I'm sure this is one like Absurd that Axl wanted done and finished....So if it doesn't come out on an EP this year, most likely by 2025....hopefully with something like Soul Monster for company....

I think Axl was never satisfied with the song. He could've included on CD if he cared enough instead of those long-ass unnecessary intros to CD and Riad.

About the "Glam November Rain" description, as far as I know it was from a Classic Rock article that mostly certain used Tom Zutaut as a source, including access to those demos - the same ones we have now. I honestly believe the writer was describing other song (The Blues? Perhaps? I don't know) and mistook it by Atlas.

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think Axl was never satisfied with the song. He could've included on CD if he cared enough instead of those long-ass unnecessary intros to CD and Riad.

About the "Glam November Rain" description, as far as I know it was from a Classic Rock article that mostly certain used Tom Zutaut as a source, including access to those demos - the same ones we have now. I honestly believe the writer was describing other song (The Blues? Perhaps? I don't know) and mistook it by Atlas.

Yes, far more appropriate for The Blues, if at all, that description. Axl must of cared a bit about the song, why ask one of his heroes, Sir Brian to play on that one of many demoed....it has potential, I'm sure Slash has worked on it! 

3 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

The "glam November Rain" description came from Jeff Leeds, the writer of the New York Times article. The demos Leeds heard were most likely the same one we heard in the locker leaks. The common denominator is Tom Zutaut, who was one of the main sources of that article. Classic Rock probably heard the same demos in 2008 (again mentioned in an article-interview with Tom Zutaut).

• Like 1