Was Nu Guns a really toxic environment?

Buckethead caused problems. Left the band, was hard to get hold of, realised he could take the piss and still get paid eg having a chicken coup filled with dog shit in the studio. The guy must've laughed himself to sleep each night knowing how far he could push things. 

Axl is to blame though, you can't hire people and leave them to their own devices and expect them to all get along. 

• Like 4

Some Fans have implied that Axl should have disbanded Guns N'Roses when EVERYBODY from the original Guns N'Roses and Matt who replaced Steven was gone and only Axl was left. The Fans were like,"Guns N'Roses last album should have been The Spaghetti Incident in 1993. That would have been a good run. Appetite For Destruction as the Debut,  GNR Lies as the Sophomore, Use Your Illusions Part 1 and 2 as a Junior and a Senior album,  The Spaghetti Incident as a "Fun," album/final Cover album. A 6 year and five album  wouldn't have been so bad." 🤔 

Edited by Karice
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Karice said:

Some Fans have implied that Axl should have disbanded Guns N'Roses when EVERYBODY from the original Guns N'Roses and Matt who replaced Steven was gone and only Axl was left. The Fans were like,"Guns N'Roses last album should have been The Spaghetti Incident in 1993. That would have been a good run. Appetite For Destruction as the Debut,  GNR Lies as the Sophomore, Use Your Illusions Part 1 and 2 as a Junior and a Senior album,  The Spaghetti Incident as a "Fun," album/final Cover album. A 6 year and five album  wouldn't have been so bad." 🤔 

That's not remotely relevant to this topic. Plus nobody cares what random people said somewhere else

There's no way to really know if it was toxic or not based on what we have. The ex-members are the only ones who could affirm that. My bet is - Axl was (and is) a terrible leader, who got a bunch of incredible musicians to join his project, put them in a room and said "okay to your thing now", without much regard for anything, really.  You can't just put people with such different personalities and working habits in a room and except them to love each other and write the most incredible songs ever. It's not gonna happen. I bet these guys grew tired of it all as time went by, and I'm sure some of them didn't really get along - like Bumble and a few of them, as well as DJ and a few more. When I met Bumble, he already seemed a bit frustrated with the band, even though he was a class act with fans, you could see it. When I met Tommy, though, he seemed like he was treating this gig like it was his day job, and he was sick of it. 

• Like 4

It seems as if Axl went in opposite directions with nuguns as opposed to old guns. With old guns he did try to control the band but was labeled a controlling asshole, so he went the opposite direction with nuguns and basically just hired a bunch of musicians and really only told them “make some music and I’ll decide when/if to add some vocals”.

Either way neither of the directions Axl tried to steer the band didn’t work.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I didn't follow the band closely during that period at all but I've read quite a bit that suggests it was a really toxic environment. 

Bucket has never spoken about his time in the band. It seems like it was a really negative experience for him. It seems he didn't get on with Tommy for definite. 

To be fair, Bucket has never spoken about anything other than that weird podcast interview. Ultimately, seems like there was a lot of bad blood between Bucket and Axl - supposedly because of management at the time, according to Axl. 

Thing is that every ex-member mentioned Axl as being not as the media pictured him, with an easy-going behavior and all. I don't know how much of this is actually true, but I doubt it's too far from it. I'd say he was a good person to work with, but everything surrounding him was toxic and bizarre - be it his late hours work or inconsistent behavior in both studio and live settings. In other words: a good friend, but a terrible boss.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Tommy always seemed like something of a bully. The environment probably had some toxic elements, but I don't want to speculate too much. I don't know enough about the subject.

Bully or the guy who took the responsibility, some sort of father figure. Depends on the point of view.

3 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

Can you expand on this?

Tommy had an interview about this a while back. Basically that the band thought the album was ready and any additional work or cleanup could be handled in post production. But the label thought it should be more epic or something, so RTB was brought in and he had everyone meticulously re-record all their parts, which seemed to hurt morale as everyone in the band thought it was a huge waste of time 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Buckethead caused problems. Left the band, was hard to get hold of, realised he could take the piss and still get paid eg having a chicken coup filled with dog shit in the studio. The guy must've laughed himself to sleep each night knowing how far he could push things. 

Axl is to blame though, you can't hire people and leave them to their own devices and expect them to all get along. 

I read that more than once but c'mon, that surely is just a rumor that can't have anything to do with reality. 

9 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I read that more than once but c'mon, that surely is just a rumor that can't have anything to do with reality. 

Seems to be confirmed by at least Zutaut and Goldstein. Seems to be an odd thing to make up.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/manager_recalls_bucketheads_insane_demand_for_guns_n_roses_recording_a_chicken_coop_in_the_studio_for_him_to_play_in.html

• Like 3

Although some of the members joined after being recommended by another member (Josh Freese recommended Tommy, Buckethead recommended Brain, Tommy recommended Richard, Richard, mostly, recommended Frank), those guys were, for the most part, "forced" to work together. Some of them had very different backgrounds; Tommy is a rock 'n' roll guy, has been in a band since he was 12, Buckethead and Bumblefoot are more the guitar nerd types (and with Buckethead's "weirdness" being on top of that).

So it was inevitable that there would be conflicts (when that happens even in bands that are formed more organically) and the long delay in completing the album made it worse. In some cases they did manage to get along well (e.g. Robin and Tommy), in other cases they didn't (e.g. with Buckethead). Brain was one who somehow managed to get on with everyone, although he was friends with Buckethead.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2