Duff McKagan on Guns N’ Roses tour and new solo album

On 10/18/2023 at 2:23 PM, GoBucky said:

I'm kind of psyched to hear this record. I must be one of the only one's here who liked Tenderness. The show I saw on that tour was great. 

Tenderness show date in Chicago was fantastic. Really intimate venue (Thalia Hall) and I was up front for it. Shooter and the band were great too. I like that record.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Tenderness show date in Chicago was fantastic. Really intimate venue (Thalia Hall) and I was up front for it. Shooter and the band were great too. I like that record.

Yep, that's the show I was at. It was fantastic!

11 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

The track Hope with Slash on it, seems to be the exact same version from his unreleased solo album from 1997, Beautiful Disease. 

Edit, maybe the vocals are new? I can’t tell. 

I think the guitar is new too.

58 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Who?

Lyndsey

8 hours ago, metallex78 said:

The track Hope with Slash on it, seems to be the exact same version from his unreleased solo album from 1997, Beautiful Disease. 

Edit, maybe the vocals are new? I can’t tell. 

Yep, he said in the interview with Cantrell that he re-recorded the vocals so they sound like they do now as opposed to back then, but the guitars are the same. I believe he also said something along the lines that Slash was so messed up back then that he didn't remember that recording session. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoBucky said:

Yep, he said in the interview with Cantrell that he re-recorded the vocals so they sound like they do now as opposed to back then, but the guitars are the same. I believe he also said something along the lines that Slash was so messed up back then that he didn't remember that recording session. 

He also said that he'd finally bought back Beautiful Disease....but I suppose it getting released is pretty unlikely if he's putting out a track of it on his new album with re-recorded vocals.  

Duff mail:

A message from Duff:

Some of the fruit of my musical travails and triumphs are now available for mass listenership with the release of LIGHTHOUSE.

Over the past fifteen or so years, I’ve delved into a songwriting area that seems to me, harkens back to my punk days in the simplicity of the chords, and trying to tell truths in the lyrics. Like the name of me and Susan’s radio show, I let ‘Three Chords and the Truth’ guide me when I sit down with a guitar.

From the beginning song LIGHTHOUSE, a sort of illumination of goodness and hope, to the ending track I JUST DON’T KNOW…where there is a pondering of what is next-my thought process of the songs that fill in the rest of the album are there is an arc of a story. I am a huge reader of good books, and like a good novel, I tried for some rises and falls from beginning to end, lyrically at least.

I absolutely love my new studio in Seattle, and realize I am a fortunate dude to have my own place to constantly create. I’m even more fortunate to have producer Martin Feveyear as my guide and mentor. We had that period of the pandemic, where it was just Martin and I in the studio for months on end. These ten songs on LIGHTHOUSE are just the beginning of what we finished song-wise in this time. More to come on that…..but for now, we hope you enjoy this record.

I tried to play as many of the instruments as I could on these recordings, as there were at times, no other choices! I got to play drums again, which I love to do. Learned finger picking on the acoustic to broaden the scope of what my guitar could do for me. Threw in a fretless bass in for some stuff….and just generally tried spread my musical wings.

I’d like to thank the players on this record, and I’m truly honored to make music with all of them:

Tim DiJulio-guitar
Ryan Burns-keys
Martin Feveyear-keys and synths and vox
Jamie Douglas-drums
Slash-lead guitar on HOPE
Abe Laborieux-drums on HOPE
Jerry Cantrell-lead guitar and backing vox on I JUST DON’T KNOW
Iggy Pop-the LIGHTHOUSE reprise
Aubrey Richmond-backing vox
Shaina Shepard-backing vox
Andrew Joslyn-string arrangements

- Duff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Duff is not respecting what’s going on in the world right now by releasing a new album.

Might as well stop living then, because "the world" is a mess right now and the foreseeable future. I'm happy he released an album, good to enjoy some music while everything else goes to shit.

My favorite songs are Fallen and Lighthouse btw. The rest doesn't do much for me. But Fallen is a timeless classic, for me at least. Great track.

I think the music Duff releases nowadays isn't bad, I just don't like his voice or his vocals in general. 

But his songwriting could work well as song construction with Axl's and Slash's contributions for a potential new GNR record which never is going to see the light of day of course. But I think he could somehow replace Izzy's role.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Might as well stop living then, because "the world" is a mess right now and the foreseeable future. I'm happy he released an album, good to enjoy some music while everything else goes to shit.

My favorite songs are Fallen and Lighthouse btw. The rest doesn't do much for me. But Fallen is a timeless classic, for me at least. Great track.

It's an internal GNR joke.

One of the excuses Fn'ando once used as to why they haven't released an album.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2