11/01/23 - Los Angeles, CA - The Hollywood Bowl

alfierose

2 hours ago, DSTK said:

I said endings not ending ! 

It isn't legendary, it's just a venue 

Rolling Stone lists it in their 10 top venues:

Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles
HOLLYWOOD, CA - OCTOBER 21:  Sam Hunt performs during the CBS Radio Presents 5th Annual "We Can Survive" Show at the Hollywood Bowl on October 21, 2017 in Hollywood, California.  (Photo by Timothy Norris/Getty Images)
TIMOTHY NORRIS/GETTY IMAGES
The country’s most famous band shell, the Hollywood Bowl has hosted concerts by everyone from Judy Garland and Louis Armstrong to Elton John and Black Sabbath. Since the 17,500-person capacity venue opened in 1922, artists have been making history there year after year: The Beatles played there in 1965 and 1965 and released the live album, The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl, using recordings they made there; the Doors do the same in 1968; Monty Python staged their last full revue there in 1982; Kanye West chose the venue as the perfect place to play his 808s & Heartbreak album in its entirety in 2015; Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played what would be their final shows together there in 2017 before his death. “It was the Hollywood Bowl,” Ringo Starr once said of the Beatles’ gigs there. “[This was an] impressive place to me. I fell in love with Hollywood then, and I’m still in love with Hollywood.” —KORY GROW

American Songwriter lists it as number 2 in it's 6 legendary music venues

2. Hollywood Bowl – Los Angeles, California
Like the Ryman Auditorium, the Hollywood Bowl is in a league all its own. This outdoor amphitheater in the hills of California creates a tranquil experience like no other. With sound and acoustics that are near perfect, there’s a magic to the Hollywood Bowl that makes for an exceptional live music experience. The bleacher seating and cozy lawn chairs create a community atmosphere, the music being the bind that brings everyone together.

NME brings it in as #7 in their 14 legendary rock venues

The Hollywood Bowl is home to the Los Angeles Philharmonic during the summer months, and was another favourite of The Beatles, who recorded ‘The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl’ there in 1964 and 1965. Morrissey also released a live album from the venue, which plays host to some spectacular 4th July celebrations too.

:lol:  California native here and nobody gets away with discounting the importance of the Hollywood Bowl.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, cineater said:

HOLLYWOOD, CA - OCTOBER 21:  Sam Hunt performs during the CBS Radio Presents 5th Annual "We Can Survive" Show at the Hollywood Bowl on October 21, 2017 in Hollywood, California.  (Photo by Timothy Norris/Getty Images)
The country’s most famous band shell, the Hollywood Bowl has hosted concerts by everyone from Judy Garland and Louis Armstrong to Elton John and Black Sabbath. Since the 17,500-person capacity venue opened in 1922, artists have been making history there year after year: The Beatles played there in 1965 and 1965 and released the live album, The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl, using recordings they made there; the Doors do the same in 1968; Monty Python staged their last full revue there in 1982; Kanye West chose the venue as the perfect place to play his 808s & Heartbreak album in its entirety in 2015; Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played what would be their final shows together there in 2017 before his death. “It was the Hollywood Bowl,” Ringo Starr once said of the Beatles’ gigs there. “[This was an] impressive place to me. I fell in love with Hollywood then, and I’m still in love with Hollywood.” —KORY GROW

Like the Ryman Auditorium, the Hollywood Bowl is in a league all its own. This outdoor amphitheater in the hills of California creates a tranquil experience like no other. With sound and acoustics that are near perfect, there’s a magic to the Hollywood Bowl that makes for an exceptional live music experience. The bleacher seating and cozy lawn chairs create a community atmosphere, the music being the bind that brings everyone together.

The Hollywood Bowl is home to the Los Angeles Philharmonic during the summer months, and was another favourite of The Beatles, who recorded ‘The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl’ there in 1964 and 1965. Morrissey also released a live album from the venue, which plays host to some spectacular 4th July celebrations too.

:lol:  California native here and nobody gets away with discounting the importance of the Hollywood Bowl.

Right, but it still doesn't matter. They've played equally iconic venues or festivals in recent years and it hasn't led to dramatic shifts in the stage show or band lineup.

A special venue doesn't automatically equal a special show in GN'Rland

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, General2112 said:

I think we’ll see the debut of the general here. Especially with the leak happening. Either the first or second show 

The General or Monsters, as if they do one, would pick they'll be more inclined to do Monsters more so. 

Regardless, hope every one going has a kick ass night. 

Edited by jimisbatman

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Right, but it still doesn't matter. They've played equally iconic venues or festivals in recent years and it hasn't led to dramatic shifts in the stage show or band lineup.

A special venue doesn't automatically equal a special show in GN'Rland

We weren't talking about a special show.  :lol:  We were discussing if the Hollywood Bowl was legendary.  It is.

1 minute ago, cineater said:

We weren't talking about a special show.  :lol:  We were discussing if the Hollywood Bowl was legendary.  It is.

Yes but the genesis of the discussion was 👇

11 hours ago, kingcanyon said:

Izzy and Steven? would be cool because of the venue there at

Ergo, the fact it's a special venue is meaningless. It won't bring Izzy and Steven etc

I saw them 8 times between 2016-17 and then got burnt out. When I saw they were playing the bowl and that it wasn't insanly  overpriced, my interest rejuvenated. I've seen shows with Adler and Izzy separately, but it seems like the ship has sailed there. General/Monsters seems appropriate to play here. 

4 hours ago, cineater said:

Rolling Stone also ranked Slash like 105 in best guitarists of all time. Their opinion matters not. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cineater said:

That's just an opinion..thing is in America, you call something iconic or legendary if its older than a year , its not intimate, small or special...its just a venue 

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Rolling Stone also ranked Slash like 105 in best guitarists of all time. Their opinion matters not. 

105 🤣 

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'm confident that it's not. As far as the band is concerned, these songs haven't been released yet.

You're probably right, but I keep hoping for a surprise (stupid me). Though I'd much rather hear Monsters live. I just can't see how Axl would sing The General without going full Mickey on it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

You're probably right, but I keep hoping for a surprise (stupid me). Though I'd much rather hear Monsters live. I just can't see how Axl would sing The General without going full Mickey on it.

Yes, if they're going to play one of these songs live, it should be Monsters. I think that The General would be difficult because, in addition to Axl's vocal issues, it would be just awkward for him to sing these lyrics.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Yes but the genesis of the discussion was 👇

Ergo, the fact it's a special venue is meaningless. It won't bring Izzy and Steven etc

Remember when they had the 31st ani or Appetite boxset and booked the Apollo and announced a take over on SiriusX and had them broadcast it live and we all thought, surely they're gonna do AFD in full for this one!? 😝

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I'm confident that it's not. As far as the band is concerned, these songs haven't been released yet.

Same and that's the workprint these days...comes out, perform next gig or close to...but was I.R.S out? Was Chinese out?....etc 

And there's not gonna be a tour date to do them post release now if like Fortus said, they were looking forward to playing The General...so now it's delayed, it's now or never (2 years time)

Edited by colonizedmind

5 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

Axl will stroke out trying to sing Monsters properly.

That's why a scratch album will (if it happens) be awesome, as he'll.be able to just tackle another 5/6 songs in the set which were done with his current voice! Could make a huge difference to the live experience

....who knows maybe a decade from now, GNR will tour with a suitcase full of W.Lineman tracks and a sit down section! TBH, I miss the sofa and PIZZA! 

• Like 1

It is an utterly iconic venue.  I think every band and musician wants to play there at some point and consider it an absolute highlight of their career.

That said, traffic and parking are horrendous - particularly with a 6PM start time on a weekday and you're traveling from out-of-town.  Acoustics are infamous for being particularly inconsistent and challenging.  The expansive layout, boxes and benches tend to diminish the impact and experience of hard rock performances for those not in close proximity to the stage. (the pool circle should be a GA pit. but I think bands are prohibited from doing so).  There's a hard 11PM curfew and volume restrictions due to the the adjoining residential neighborhood.  It makes for a unique and enjoyable (if somewhat problematic) experience, but ranks near the bottom of the list when it comes to concert venues where I would like to see a band perform.  As an unrelated side note, we were in Vegas two weeks ago to see U2 at the Sphere - putting aside my diminishing interest in their music, it was the most batshit-crazy mind-blowing musical experience of my life.  For any band that fully utilizes the video and sound technologies employed there, it is the best musical venue in the world that I cannot recommend highly enough.

Back to the Guns' upcoming Hollywood Bowl concerts, I don't know how a performance can be marketed as "legendary" before, you know, the performance has actually taken place and can be considered so.  All that said, I hope everyone going to the shows has an incredibly great time!  Unless any new music is released to digital streaming services later this week (always a possibility), there is no chance it will be performed at the concerts - but I hope so for the sake of anyone lucky enough to be there.

• Like 1