11/02/23 - Los Angeles, CA - The Hollywood Bowl NIGHT 2

alfierose

20 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I'm concerned with people's hearing, but that's a debate for another day. At least they're playing new tunes.

Now I'll crawl back into my hole and stop following the live shows.

I'm not gonna lie the first listen of The General was "what the fuck is this". But a song growing on you absolutely is a real thing, I "get" the song now.  I put it into the same category as something like Shacklers, it was never meant as something with a broad appeal, it's a you love it or you'll hate it, no inbetween thing sort of song. And Axl is over 60 years old. Consider these things when you listen to it.

I think it sounds better live than on the leak, rasp in parts where in the studio it was sung clean, and the orchestra pops out more.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

It went from being to one of my least favorite GnR songs to one of my favorites of the leftovers. It really is a jarring first listen with the lyrics and the mix, but once it clicks, there’s a lot to like.

I fucking love it, now. Might be the most metal GNR chorus out there. Wish he wrote some different lyrics for the second half though. No biggie

I didn't believe I would like it at all even after like 5 listens:lol:Strange how that goes, many people will probably never get into it ever. I believe it also had to do with Monsters being kind of an instantly accessible type of song that overshadowed it and clicks immediately with that britpop chorus. Might've gotten into it quicker if only The General had leaked.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I didn't believe I would like it at all even after like 5 listens:lol:Strange how that goes, I believe it also had to do with Monsters being kind of an instantly accessible type of song that overshadowed it and clicks immediately with that britpop chorus. Might've gotten into it quicker if only The General had leaked.

Monsters is a fucking banger, for sure. Love that one and love listening to them together

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'm not gonna lie the first listen of The General was "what the fuck is this". But a song growing on you absolutely is a real thing, I "get" the song now.  I put it into the same category as something like Shacklers, it was never meant as something with a broad appeal, it's a you love it or you'll hate it, no inbetween thing sort of song. And Axl is over 60 years old. Consider these things when you listen to it.

I think it sounds better live than on the leak, rasp in parts where in the studio it was sung clean, and the orchestra pops out more.

I get what you're saying. The General isn't the worst thing they've done.

I meant the live performance. Axl's vocals were not good, imo.

2 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Anyone else think Axl kinda looks like Danny Elfman these days lol? Random thought I had when I was at Hollywood Bowl #1.

Yep, but Elfman is in infinitely better shape lol

Watched the Coachella stream when he played.  That guy is JACKED...holy cow!

Just now, Rindmelon said:

Without spending forever on this, i tried to remove some of the more insane screaming from that lady in the crowd (not that i can blame her) few other changes too

insane screaming from lady in the crowd was my favorite part

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

Axl sounds horrible but good to have it debuted. I like the studio version

I thought he sounded shockingly good given the current realities of his vocal ability and that it's a first live performance. 

The chorus and Slash's solo are the best parts and they translated quite well live 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

I thought he sounded shockingly good given the current realities of his vocal ability and that it's a first live performance. 

The chorus and Slash's solo are the best parts and they translated quite well live 

I really don't think we can say that objectively. And being the first isn't an excuse - he's a professional singer, he's supposed to rehearse for these moments which he admitted he hasn't.

It isn't as much of a disaster as Hard School is live and probably marginally better than Perhaps but it's really below par.

Do really like both of the new songs though - just a shame how he can't perform vocally.

33 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

I really don't think we can say that objectively. And being the first isn't an excuse - he's a professional singer, he's supposed to rehearse for these moments which he admitted he hasn't.

It isn't as much of a disaster as Hard School is live and probably marginally better than Perhaps but it's really below par.

Do really like both of the new songs though - just a shame how he can't perform vocally.

The hoops people will jump through to defend him is really an Olympic sport at this point. He sounds terrible, there's nothing wrong with saying that. If its not weak, then its strong Mickey, which is still Mickey, and still at times sounds a lot like a dying cat. Dude is 62? I'm not judging him for it, I applaud he even goes out on stage. But seriously, its like there's no objectivity in anything with Axl anymore.

Edited by gunsfanoldie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I’m doing great. I don’t spend my time throwing cold water on other people’s enjoyment of something. In fact, I don’t spend hours and days watching or commenting on anything I don’t like. It’s wonderful. 

I donno maybe you mistook me for someone else. Specially that my comment which you've replied to wasn't negative at all. Whatever, I really don't care.

5 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

The hoops people will jump through to defend him is really an Olympic sport at this point. He sounds terrible, there's nothing wrong with saying that. If its not weak, then its strong Mickey, which is still Mickey, and still at times sounds a lot like a dying cat. Dude is 62? I'm not judging him for it, I applaud he even goes out on stage. But seriously, its like there's no objectivity in anything with Axl anymore.

We’ve also been listening to aspects of Mickey for years so we’re used to it. I’m pretty forgiving but last night was a train wreck :lol:

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

We’ve also been listening to aspects of Mickey for years so we’re used to it. I’m pretty forgiving but last night was a train wreck :lol:

Absolutely there's good and bad. I was thrilled with what I saw on Wednesday, but I'm not gonna lie to people and say he sounded good. I was with a friend, he has ears, he'd think I was crazy to defend that lol. I was like "this is worse than usual." And again, thats not said in a judgey way. I saw him in August and thought he sounded better, this is later in the tour I'm sure he's more tired. I also give him credit I really had no problem with his voice this week because I thought he was a lot more animated, which is a perfectly reasonable trade off for me. I'm not expecting the world from him. Hollywood Bowl didn't help him either, as I'm sure you noticed last night, cause his voice was really high in the mix. Which I liked but doesn't help to drown out any of his bum notes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Absolutely there's good and bad. I was thrilled with what I saw on Wednesday, but I'm not gonna lie to people and say he sounded good. I was with a friend, he has ears, he'd think I was crazy to defend that lol. I was like "this is worse than usual." And again, thats not said in a judgey way. I saw him in August and thought he sounded better, this is later in the tour I'm sure he's more tired. I also give him credit I really had no problem with his voice this week because I thought he was a lot more animated, which is a perfectly reasonable trade off for me. I'm not expecting the world from him. Hollywood Bowl didn't help him either, as I'm sure you noticed last night, cause his voice was really high in the mix. Which I liked but doesn't help to drown out any of his bum notes.

Agree with everything you said. I was with casuals and there was just no way I could defend his voice to them. He clearly had a rough night since they played a half hour less (still 2.5 hours!)

16 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Watchout, some people here will find you and stab you at your doorstep for "throwing cold water on other people’s enjoyment" :facepalm::lol::lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Disclaimer- I still had a great time! Thanks for debuting The General, last night, Axl!

Same here! There's a video my friend took of he and I going nuts during Nightrain and Paradise City. I've seen the band enough, doesn't really matter how he sounds to me, I'm there to have fun and thats exactly what we did. And I got fucking Locomotive. They could do the worst version of it ever and I'll still be happy. Moments like that and the General for you, thats just being there. We're all there to have a blast while this band still exists, criticisms aren't meant to cancel that out, its just other notes.

• Like 1