11/02/23 - Los Angeles, CA - The Hollywood Bowl NIGHT 2

alfierose

I get the need to put on a show, and, we've been saying it for two decades now, but, Uncle Ax really needs to think about not running around anymore and focus on controlling his breathing...brothaman out here huffing and puffing, half singing words that get cut off because he's inhaling so much.  

Sounds like a GNR tape played through a Hoover vacuum 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, meadsoap said:

But I still defend him because overall this tour has been the best in a couple years, he gives 100% every night, and the reason he sounds rough is not due to lack of effort but because biologically he has changed as most people do as they age. I was lucky to catch them in Knoxville and though I see his flaws, I came out with more respect for him than ever.

My only wish is that he takes it easier on himself in the future and change up the songs so they aren't causing him so much strain and exhaustion. That's what's unsustainable (and frankly a little baffling why he hasn't already) in my point of view.

Without question, this is the most I've enjoyed Axl since the reunion started. He killed it for the most part, and his energy and enthusiasm was my favorite part of most shows. The other guys are usually reliably good, and Axl absolutely held his own this year, with some excellent choice new songs that freshened up the set and didn't strain his voice. I think his biggest issue is the undroppable songs are the ones he just can't do anymore. I saw Bon Jovi years ago and his set was great till he got to Bad Medicine, Runaway, Wanted Dead or Alive and Livin On A Prayer at the end. He just can't sing them anymore, and that sucks cause he can't not play them. Its like Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City and November Rain. Vocally his hardest songs are the ones people wait to hear from him and he's known for, but he still sounds great on the lower register ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Without question, this is the most I've enjoyed Axl since the reunion started. He killed it for the most part, and his energy and enthusiasm was my favorite part of most shows. The other guys are usually reliably good, and Axl absolutely held his own this year, with some excellent choice new songs that freshened up the set and didn't strain his voice. I think his biggest issue is the undroppable songs are the ones he just can't do anymore. I saw Bon Jovi years ago and his set was great till he got to Bad Medicine, Runaway, Wanted Dead or Alive and Livin On A Prayer at the end. He just can't sing them anymore, and that sucks cause he can't not play them. Its like Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City and November Rain. Vocally his hardest songs are the ones people wait to hear from him and he's known for, but he still sounds great on the lower register ones.

For sure. Axl's main problem is that he pushed himself to the limits of his range while he was young, to the point it was hard for him to give consistent performances of the big songs as early as the UYI tour because the songs were a challenge even back then. So many videos of him back then are just him screeching and straining to hit notes.

Now their just completely out of his range, and it's a total quagmire because the only way to adjust hem to be comfortable is to completely restructure all the hits. And judging by how people respond to Bob Dylan concerts where he does the same, casuals would be left feeling burned by that also... But ultimately it'll have to be the path forward if Axl wants to continue, both professionally and health wise.

Edited by meadsoap
  • Like 3

awesome that they played it, and it was a very good performance, very close to what we have. kudos to the band.
I never bought the "General & Monsters are the same song" theory so I'm not too surprised they didn't follow up with Monsters. of course I don't know if they accurately finished the song live compared to the studio version but it sounds pretty abrupt to me, I hope it's different on the finale studio version. "short" song finally, I imagined the definitive thing around 7 minutes. I wonder if that means Monsters will never be released? it looks like it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

awesome that they played it, and it was a very good performance, very close to what we have. kudos to the band.
I never bought the "General & Monsters are the same song" theory so I'm not too surprised they didn't follow up with Monsters. of course I don't know if they accurately finished the song live compared to the studio version but it sounds pretty abrupt to me, I hope it's different on the finale studio version. "short" song finally, I imagined the definitive thing around 7 minutes. I wonder if that means Monsters will never be released? it looks like it.

I’m sure Monsters will be released. Maybe next year or the year after with another single. They seem to come in twos

39 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Watchout, some people here will find you and stab you at your doorstep for "throwing cold water on other people’s enjoyment" :facepalm::lol::lol:

I see. To add to your obsession with crapping on everything GNR (clearly for attention, since you’re begging for a reaction on a GNR message board,) now you’re gonna obsess over that quote. Might wanna make an appointment to get yourself analyzed. Could be a problem!

• ABSUЯD 1

25 minutes ago, Gnraxl13 said:

i’ve been to 23 shows since 2002 & this is the 1st time they didn’t do you could be mine. But getting the general & perhaps was cool with me. Was hoping for twat too or down on the farm. 

Hershey in 2021 was the first time I ever saw him skip lines on you could be mine, and motion for the crowd to sing them…that was hard to see haha. That show overall was ROUGH. But since then I’ve been to the AC show in 2021 (GREAT!,) and Hershey again back in August (fun! He had his troubles but they didn’t hurt the overall show.) Bummed I saw a show before Perhaps was added though. 

5 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Yup! I made a comment about that when it leaked, but with dozens of comments happening at the same time it must have got buried because nobody responded, and I also am not reading through every comment lol but there's no way the vocals on that leak are from 1999 or even 2006. The vocals on The General leak sound like they were recorded within the last few years. 

Adjusting sound levels is not a significant difference. I said the vinyl is not going to be "all that different" meaning the actual song itself.

Interesting call, I was having similar thoughts. I think if you listen to Axl's vocals in the Looney tunes bit, Axl's most recent recordings that we know, they don't sound too far from each other.

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Do you guys think them playing it is directly the result of the leaks? Would they have played it if the songs didn't leak? The official release is still 5 weeks out, seems strange to debut it so early IMO, it directly came from what happened

Honestly, I don’t know but I’m grateful it happened

Anyone saying Axl didn't sound good on TG hasn't been paying attention since 2016. He had more rasp than the studio vocals FFS.

9 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

there's no way the vocals on that leak are from 1999 or even 2006. The vocals on The General leak sound like they were recorded within the last few years. 

Adjusting sound levels is not a significant difference. I said the vinyl is not going to be "all that different" meaning the actual song itself.

Where are you getting that idea? The studio vocals are totally the clean-voiced Axl of circa 2000.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Overall he still does it like you'd expect in 2023, but man check out some parts like this one line from 3:35-3:40, absolutely PRIME Axl. You'd think his 1992 self teleported back and possessed him just to deliver that line

Thanks for this vid better than one I first heard it. It’s like to see closer view when trying to listen to a YouTube vid hah this vid seems solid. I thought the same thing when I listened to the first video I heard stronger axl than I expected in parts. I listened to the leak and I was like cool early 2000s axl vocals here on the track m not rly rasp song. He seems to add some live, probably trying to find best way to sing it and sounded kinda cooler then the leak vocals in parts  

Haven’t listened to the leak that much but have a watched a few videos from this show of this song and I’m impressed. This is a good song that’s about to be released by a ‘legacy’ band. I don’t think there will be many other bands releasing songs as good as this 35 years into their careers. Thanks uncle Ax for ‘the vault’.
Wasn’t too fussed for an album before, think there should be one now, get WL and release a LP.

• Like 2