11/02/23 - Los Angeles, CA - The Hollywood Bowl NIGHT 2

alfierose

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Do you guys think them playing it is directly the result of the leaks? Would they have played it if the songs didn't leak? The official release is still 5 weeks out, seems strange to debut it so early

I don’t think it was because of the leaks. It was listed on the setlist/production notes at the beginning of this tour so it was bound to happen before the tour was over. I think the only song that’s been soundchecked and not played by the band since the whole tour began was Think About You. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

At first, I thought they were allidiles, but now I'm sure they're crocogators.

And Axl only didn't play Monsters next because that guy didn't ask for it.

Quick, somebody get to the last show in Mexico and yell out "PLAY ATLAS SHRUGGED!"

Or better yet "PLAY A NEWLY WRITTEN COLLABORATION BETWEEN YOU AND SLASH!"

That oughta do the trick.

I was at a show when Chinese Democracy came out and I yelled out the next song in between songs and Axl looked right at me and said "let's fuck with somebody" ......and they played Shackles Revenge 😂

I like the “The General” we heard on the leak. I like the distorted vocals in his high-clean voice too. But … I gotta say after hearing it live, good lord. The last part where he goes rasp makes me wish at least one chorus in the studio song went balls out rasp, no distortion. I actually think it would add to the song to take all the filters off so to speak, and just come in with vicious “Monsters” bridge style rasp.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I like the “The General” we heard on the leak. I like the distorted vocals in his high-clean voice too. But … I gotta say after hearing it live, good lord. The last part where he goes rasp makes me wish at least one chorus in the studio song went balls out rasp, no distortion. I actually think it would add to the song to take all the filters off so to speak, and just come in with vicious “Monsters” bridge style rasp.

I’m cool with either version! Sounded good last night

I saw Guns twice on the tour this year (Rome and MetLife) and they were just fantastic. At what point do we agree it might be time for them to give it up? I feel like an album at this stage will only damage their legacy and Axl has lost quite a bit of power in his voice this tour. His lower register still renders him a world class singer by the way, but the live videos of 'The General' are somewhat painful to watch. The song itself has potential but like most CD stuff, sounds spliced together. Think of songs like Don't Cry and Sweet Child O' Mine and then try and tell me The General is a good GN'R song. The song is bizarre and the performance of it is good but the vocals pack no punch.

It kills me to say that by the way. I was arguing with fans when Axl was slaughtered for his Glastonbury vocals but when you find yourself overwhelmingly having to justify the reasons why your favorite singer's voice no longer sounds great, it might be time to realize the reality of the situation.

Another disclaimer is that my opinion on Axl's voice changes with the wind so it'll only take one good YouTube video for me to be on here posting "Axl is back!".

• Haha 1

I can't remember Slash being as into performing a song as we saw with the general! I loved it.

I thought Axl sounded great.

Is slash playing with his guitar slung lower this tour like it used to be?

He definitely had it up higher for a while.

Oh God - I used to make fun of people who asked weird questions like this....

6 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

I saw Guns twice on the tour this year (Rome and MetLife) and they were just fantastic. At what point do we agree it might be time for them to give it up? I feel like an album at this stage will only damage their legacy and Axl has lost quite a bit of power in his voice this tour. His lower register still renders him a world class singer by the way, but the live videos of 'The General' are somewhat painful to watch. The song itself has potential but like most CD stuff, sounds spliced together. Think of songs like Don't Cry and Sweet Child O' Mine and then try and tell me The General is a good GN'R song. The song is bizarre and the performance of it is good but the vocals pack no punch.

It kills me to say that by the way. I was arguing with fans when Axl was slaughtered for his Glastonbury vocals but when you find yourself overwhelmingly having to justify the reasons why your favorite singer's voice no longer sounds great, it might be time to realize the reality of the situation.

Another disclaimer is that my opinion on Axl's voice changes with the wind so it'll only take one good YouTube video for me to be on here posting "Axl is back!".

I posted this elsewhere, but I think the NITL singles (and maybe Atlas or some other leftovers) will be released on their next album... and that album will be a 2CD / 4LP Greatest Hits or Best Of.

Would anyone here be really be surprised if they went the Aerosmith route and released an expanded Greatest Hits to tie in with a farewell tour? Nobody expects Axl to be performing these songs in his 70s, do they? The end is definitely getting closer, I wouldn't be surprised if the next tour (probably 2025) is marketed as a very long farewell tour... do some '40 Years Of GNR' shows in 2027 and shut it down after that. Assuming Axl's voice even lasts until then...

That said, I enjoyed the show in Vancouver this year. Songs like Pretty Tied Up, Absurd, Bad Obsession, Wichita Lineman, Down On The Farm, Don't Cry... his natural voice is still powerful and enjoyable. But the raspy highs are gone unless he's screaming at the top of his lungs, which he can't do for a full song anymore. He needs at least a few days between shows now. His voice just isn't gonna last that much longer... it is what it is, unfortunately.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I posted this elsewhere, but I think the NITL singles (and maybe Atlas or some other leftovers) will be released on their next album... and that album will be a 2CD / 4LP Greatest Hits or Best Of.

Would anyone here be really be surprised if they went the Aerosmith route and released an expanded Greatest Hits to tie in with a farewell tour? Nobody expects Axl to be performing these songs in his 70s, do they? The end is definitely getting closer, I wouldn't be surprised if the next tour (probably 2025) is marketed as a very long farewell tour... do some '40 Years Of GNR' shows in 2027 and shut it down after that. Assuming Axl's voice even lasts until then...

That said, I enjoyed the show in Vancouver this year. Songs like Pretty Tied Up, Absurd, Bad Obsession, Wichita Lineman, Down On The Farm, Don't Cry... his natural voice is still powerful and enjoyable. But the raspy highs are gone unless he's screaming at the top of his lungs, which he can't do for a full song anymore. He needs at least a few days between shows now. His voice just isn't gonna last that much longer... it is what it is, unfortunately.

I completely agree with this. Well written.

I almost would prefer GN'R avoid the KISS and Eagles route of these drawn out 'farewells' (KISS's first farewell tour was in 2003). It'd be more in keeping with GN'R to just vanish completely and leave it to our imagination. In a way Axl played the Chinese Democracy years incredibly. We were sure this genius was sitting on a goldmine of talent and he drip-fed us pieces of true genius (mainly lyrically) but leaving us wondering what else there was made it magical. Part of me would love it if they just never played ever again and we never heard from Axl again. It would be sad, bittersweet but it'd leave me longing for more which so many of these bands fail to do.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Anyone saying Axl didn't sound good on TG hasn't been paying attention since 2016. He had more rasp than the studio vocals FFS.

Where are you getting that idea? The studio vocals are totally the clean-voiced Axl of circa 2000.

Not even close dude. He sounds like the deflated old man he is now on The General. Go listen Prostitute then The General. HUGE difference. Cmon ..

53 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Not even close dude. He sounds like the deflated old man he is now on The General. Go listen Prostitute then The General. HUGE difference. Cmon ..

You want me to compare a live performance to a studio recording? You're kidding, right?

Here's Axl in 2019 in the studio:

Compare that to the "weak, deflated" Mickey Mouse voice from the 2001-2002 live shows and the complete opposite argument as yours can be made.

Seeing as all the other songs we've gotten post-reunion were recorded (vocally) decades ago, I think you're making quite the unfounded assumption there.

6 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Overall he still does it like you'd expect in 2023, but man check out some parts like this one line from 3:35-3:40, absolutely PRIME Axl. You'd think his 1992 self teleported back and possessed him just to deliver that line

I'm sorry, he doesn't sound ANYTHING like 1992 there. Certainly not in the his spirit has inhabited his body or anything. I don't know how to describe what that is but its not 1992. Its more like a muppet croaking than anything else. And I'm really not meaning to be negative, but, to me, thats such a weird thing to call out as "prime Axl". Prime Axl is the voice we know him to have back then, not just anytime he's not totally clean voiced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

It's a difficult one, I've seen them this year in Budapest. It was an awesome show. Axl sounded fine but did struggle on some songs, but this has been the case on every tour since 2006/7 in my view. Even back then people were critical of him for not sounding like he did in the 80s/90s. 

Shorter shows with careful song selection is probably the way forward. I don't think they are done just yet but also agree they shouldn't go on forever. 

As has always been the case, Axl sounds much better in a concert setting than on YouTube videos. 

• Like 3

Been in a Coma for two days...

They played The General Live? :Dead

*Forum last week* Axl'll never sing those lyrics live

18 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Wow. Feels like Axl knew he wasn't going to let this song sound like shit live, it's too important.

What's with the alligator

It ate the Dolphin....

I've never heard "the General", this was my first time. I couldb't undestand lyrics, So i've searched in internet and I found this:

Daddy, don't
I swear I won't
I'll be good from now on
And I'm awful sorry
Daddy don't
The hell I won't
I won't be good anymore
And you'll all be sorry

[Refrain]
Can anybody tell me why the pain, it just won't stop?
Can anybody help me?
This pain, it just won't stop

[Chorus]
My only regret
Is that I never took the time to forgive
All those unspoken feelings
That were never spared
And those who understand
And lack self respect
And not the sordid meaning

[Verse]
Daddy, don't
I swear I won't
I'll be good from now on
And I'm awful sorry
Daddy don't
The hell I won't
I won't be good anymore
And you'll all be sorry

Is this real lyrics of The General?   If it's so,  it means it's very personal lyrics of Axl.

21 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Realistically? They probably wouldn't have played it. I wish, WISH, it wasn't like pulling teeth with this band but it always is. Not putting out Chinese from 2000-2008? What are we supposed to do? At some point, we needed leaks. By the time the band finally gets somewhere its usually because some other entity has pushed them. It would have been great if we got the General without ever having heard it, but thats just not how they operate. Its the same as the whole Perhaps release as well. There's just always an issue with these guys and while this was a great moment, it could have been even more epic if they were a little more well run. And I don't think thats asking too much. Just feels like they get mad about stuff that is mostly self inflicted.

The band decided to release The General without it having leaked, and they likely would have played it anyway since they were to release it (after all, it was on setlists long before it leaked), so your theory is leaking.