THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Sorry for not adding much to the discussion, but if someone from the band reads this board they need to know these songs are reeeeeeeeally good. God damn. The general is my favourite of the two, but they certainly go well together. To me they are in the same vein as State of grace which is also definitly one of my favourite Guns song.s

Well done, GnR :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

If I were to guess, I'd say that they started as two different tracks (and I believe that "Monsters" is most likely "Soul Monster") and by 2010 they were merged into one, two-part song.

What confuses me is that we heard the orchestral music as a single piece back in 2006. Why did Marco Beltrami compose the orchestral section as a continuous piece if these were two separate songs back then? Anyway, in that concert intro, they were kind of one song already back in 2006. I really hope that it will eventually be released as one single track. Or perhaps the ideal scenario would be to have three versions: "The General" and "Monsters" as separate tracks, and then one epic 'The General and Monsters,' which is a combination of both songs

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Baz said in 2006 that Axl wanted to put The General on a 3rd album because the song would go together with another, so the combo fits in that description. 

Yup, this is what I think as well. His initial quote was about it being part of a trilogy, the Estranged bullshit came later and was likely Rolling Stone not understanding him.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Remember when Sebastian said The General was a sequel to estranged? Yeah, I’m not really seeing that dude…

It wasn't an exact quote though, IIRC the interviewer said that Bach had described the The General as a sequel to Estranged. The interviewer may have been confused by something Bach said.

3 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

they're all on gnrevolution. What i dont get is why there but not here? Why do we have this rule?

Because this forum gets reported, It's not a rule we made to be mean, it's just to protect the forum from being taken down.

What happens via PMs is not our problem, but sharing/asking for leaks is not allowed.

Sorry

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lies They Tell said:

What confuses me is that we heard the orchestral music as a single piece back in 2006. Why did Marco Beltrami compose the orchestral section as a continuous piece if these were two separate songs back then? Anyway, in that concert intro, they were kind of one song already back in 2006. I really hope that it will eventually be released as one single track. Or perhaps the ideal scenario would be to have three versions: "The General" and "Monsters" as separate tracks, and then one epic 'The General and Monsters,' which is a combination of both songs

Axl seemed to refer to them as two separate tracks in 2008. And there's also the alleged CD2 track list (if we consider it legit) from January 2008 where they are also listed as two separate songs. That's why I think they were turned into one song after 2008.

Regarding the orchestral piece that was used as intro at the concerts, maybe it was its own thing compiled from what Beltrami wrote for the two tracks. And then the two tracks were eventually combined as well?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Yea I know. So can we 100% say it's 1 song?

Definitely one song, 9 minutes 2 seconds of bliss. I was kind of having a shit day, and this totally made it so much better.. Super happy with how this turned out. Slash does a great job on this I gotta say. It's epic in its own right, has a really cool feel to it its different and i love it. No song can live up to 20 plus years of hype but I gotta admit, I am flabbergasted that Axl horded this for so many years. Gives me hope that there is more but for now let's enjoy this moment haha

This just further confirms that Axl should’ve in fact written another appetite. These songs and all of the shitty tacky vocal effects are not good. This is why Axl was told he has 2 to 3 good songs.. can hardly make out half of the vocals. I finally understand why these songs were shelved for decades. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

Im really digging this. I think too many people (including myself) really thought the song was going to be similar to Evader however after comparing Monsters to the party recording its clear that this version of Monsters is playing in the background. 

Whether this is Slash or Fink playing i think time will tell. In some ways we are our own worst enemies by listening to all these demos lol

2 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

This just further confirms that Axl should’ve in fact written another appetite. These songs and all of the shitty tacky vocal effects are not good. This is why Axl was told he has 2 to 3 good songs.. can hardly make out half of the vocals. I finally understand why these songs were shelved for decades. 

My brother says the same thing. I think Axl had some personal demons and he had to let all this out THEN, of course time has caught up with him now so hes in a different head space, much healthier it seems so I'd rather we have Axl still doing his thing and not going nuts.

Edited by saint_seiya

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Axl seemed to refer to them as two separate tracks in 2008. And there's also the alleged CD2 track list (if we consider it legit) from January 2008 where they are also listed as two separate songs. That's why I think they were turned into one song after 2008.

Regarding the orchestral piece that was used as intro at the concerts, maybe it was its own thing compiled from what Beltrami wrote for the two tracks. And then the two tracks were eventually combined as well?

Perhaps you're right! Another thing that confuses me is why the GNR camp said that the most used intro in 2006 was The General. Why didn't they mention Monsters or Soulmonster or Leave Me Alone or what ever it was called back then. I'd say that the bigger part of the intro was actually Monsters. Not The General.

Well, I don't expect anyone here to have the answers. It's just confusing. The reason why we thought that the cellphone clip was The General was because the GNR camp confirmed that the orchestral intro was The General. Now we know that only the first part of the intro was The General.

• Like 1