THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

For people saying it's not Slash in The General's ending, that's 100% him. Not only it's his tone, but also he plays fast all the time live, and those licks sound nothing like Bucket's style. 

+1. That's some beautiful work by Slash. Hope we get to hear it live even if Axl sings the high parts an octave lower

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chester said:

Epic songs. Thank god this band refuses to cave in and just write an Appetite (Great record, don’t get it twisted)  sequel just to please the general public. These song are deep cuts meant for the hardcore fans. 

Exactly ; ) Sorry can't add more reactions today, but love what I'm reading.

OK..after multiple listens they are definitely companion songs ...and are both great pieces of art, when you consider the message

The General is from the perspective of the victim.... one that goes from being submissive to avoid more harm from his/her abuser to imagining the day his/her abuser will be sorry they ever caused harm.

Monsters is the inverse...a demented split personality. One that has good intentions of being 'there for you' but is corrupted by "the monsters". Axl does a brilliant jobs of using the pure vocals, the monsters in his head vocals, and then the abuser vocals.

Well done,  Axl!

• Like 2

Just now, Illusion1987 said:

OK..after multiple listens they are definitely companion songs ...and are both great pieces of art, when you consider the message

The General is from the perspective of the victim.... one that goes from being submissive to avoid more harm from his/her abuser to imagining the day his/her abuser will be sorry they ever caused harm.

Monsters is the inverse...a demented split personality. One that has good intentions of being 'there for you' but is corrupted by "the monsters". Axl does a brilliant jobs of using the pure vocals, the monsters in his head vocals, and then the abuser vocals.

Well done,  Axl!

I think that too, and I think they are brilliant (together)

16 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I agree, the general public wouldn't be that into these songs either.

That's why I'm going to reserve judgement until they're out on streaming and I can listen for real.

Who cares?

GNR has always been unconventional.

Releasing AFD when Glam Rock/Metal was popular at the time

Releasing UYI at the time when Grunge exploded 

Releasing CD without Slash and with No compression at the time there was the infamous loudness war.

GNR isn't AC/DC remaking the same songs with the same 4 chords(Although ACDC are the masters of that and I love it.)

Edited by GNR4Ever2024
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Thanks guys for the replies!  I found an article from 2001 (from here) that also has this:

"He admitted not feeling happy with the show last night, and gave some details of the new album: he already has 36 songs practically ready (one dedicated to John Lennon, another about child abuse), and there is a possibility that the album is double , in the style of Use your illusion, one of the compacts would be named after Chinese Democracy and the other would be called PRL"

Here is the full article for anyone interested:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t7429-2001-mm-dd-rolling-stone-argentina-axl-rose-fifteen-days-in-the-life

(This quote mentioning PRL was from this article and not the O Globo one).

2 hours ago, djtripp20 said:

I overlaid the cell clip with the new leak and they are very different. The "I was there for you" chorus doesn't even seem to exist in the cell clip. 

That's because it never existed, it's just Axl going "ooooooo ... ooooooo" etc. You can hear it on the latest leak throughout parts of the song fairly clearly. 

Monsters has to be soul monster. The Bridge is our Black Sabbath moment fits the bridge of that song for sure. Cannot believe that cell phone recording was in fact Monsters (Soul Monster IMO) and not the general. I swear this is like Christmas for a hardcore GNR fan. 

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MJRoses23 said:

Man these songs almost bring me to tears with how raw they are. This is Axl and GNR at their best to me. Epic songs that pierce through you. 

I really like them, I just can't dig the distortion on Axl's voice in The General..... and don't know why but Axl's voice in the high part of Monsters sounds weird to me

The General has some buried vocals like Oh My God. Deliberate, not a poor mix. This 9 min beast is not one for radio or for casual fans. It has far more to it than that.

I hoped for something on the scale of TWAT/Prostitute. This is certainly up there, already holding its own. Epic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arnuld said:

Monsters has to be soul monster. The Bridge is our Black Sabbath moment fits the bridge of that song for sure. Cannot believe that cell phone recording was in fact Monsters (Soul Monster IMO) 

I think so too.

Me & My elvis must be something else. The melody of Elvis never fitted what I felt when thinking of "Soul Monster". "Monsters" exactly feels like "Soul Monster". I think it's my favorite.

• Like 1

Just finished work and listening on my phone speaker as my earphones are shot. I just will never understand why with that incredible voice(s) he feels the need for the multi layers, effects and burying it to where you can't make out lyrics. The This I Love remix, gimme that voice up front, man. 

Would love to hear the vocal isolated. 

• Like 4

Just now, bangit said:

The General has some buried vocals like Oh My God. Deliberate, not a poor mix. This 9 min beast is not one for radio or for casual fans. It has far more to it than that.

I hoped for something on the scale of TWAT/Prostitute. This is certainly up there, already holding its own. Epic. 

Yes this is not for the radio or casual fans. 

1 minute ago, D.. said:

I think so too.

Me & My elvis must be something else. The melody of Elvis never fitted what I felt when thinking of "Soul Monster". "Monsters" exactly feels like "Soul Monster". I think it's my favorite.

It’s an absolute banger. I love it so much 

9 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

I've been an avid fan since 1996 and heard Axl sing countless hours and I'm having a hard time making out some of these vocals in General. Even in the "cleaned up" version. I have a hard time believing that General is the final version. Monsters however sounds pretty perfect.

I'm leaning towards these being older versions (possibly with Slash overdubs) versus a rip from the vinyl.

• GNFNR 1