THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 minute ago, kitstuai said:

It could be a song recorded before 1993. Or they took slash recording parts from a certain time. No, even if this is not the same guitar player in this leak and live, the chorus has a completely different vibe. Like it's not playing the same thing

There's no way it was recorded before 1993. Aside from everything else, it's a song based on an instrumental written by Brain. It couldn't have been written before 2000.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KIKOZ3 said:

Indeed Brain is Brain.

Woooooooah ! 

I listened to The General for the first time with headphones and you can really hear all the details of the music much more, almost being a new experience, curious that nowadays the songs are mixed with the focus on the use of headphones, that being said Buckethead  solo at the end The General is fucking good!!!!

It’s not Buckethead though. It’s Slash. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There's no way it was recorded before 1993. Aside from everything else, it's a song based on an instrumental written by Brain. It couldn't have been written before 2000.

Yes slash playing is the only questionable thing. But these songs are not from the vinyl. 

6 minutes ago, KIKOZ3 said:

Indeed Brain is Brain.

Woooooooah ! 

I listened to The General for the first time with headphones and you can really hear all the details of the music much more, almost being a new experience, curious that nowadays the songs are mixed with the focus on the use of headphones, that being said Buckethead  solo at the end The General is fucking good!!!!

Haha that is unmistakably Slash on the outro of The General. I get the question mark over the last couple bars on Monsters outro but even there I still lean towards the opinion that it's Slash as well.

1 minute ago, PaoloLA said:

This is a dumb ass question but I’m gonna ask it anyways.

The General and Monsters…. Are they two separate songs or is it two mashed into one?🤔

Both songs tell the complete story imo, you can seperate them as A Axl as a child experiencing everything and B Axl in later life looking back on it and breaking away from it thus making it a whole 

2 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

Both songs tell the complete story imo, you can seperate them as A Axl as a child experiencing everything and B Axl in later life looking back on it and breaking away from it thus making it a whole 

Yeah I get that. But that still doesn’t answer my question….. At the 4:20 mark pause leading into the next. Simple question. Is it one song leading into the 2nd half of the same song or are they two separate songs? 

35 minutes ago, pbj_jam said:

would be very interesting to hear specifically with the less satisfied listeners and their thoughts. Personally intrigued to know what they expected in their minds,that is if they had any to begin with, just curious.

I didn't expect so much effects on Axl's voice. To me it's buried in SFX and it reminds me a bit of the Oh My God era. It was nice and cool in 1999, but not really what I'm looking for in 2023. The main thing for me is that all those songs came out 15-20 years too late.

• Thanks 1

just imagine the vinyl had only two tracks "Perhaps" and "The General". The song "Monsters" was accidentally pressed on it... but i don't think so because someone of TB said "The General is monster" or whatever on reddit?

Or "Monsters" is a unlisted hidden track after "The General".

1 minute ago, PaoloLA said:

Yeah I get that. But that still doesn’t answer my question….. At the 4:20 mark pause leading into the next. Simple question. Is it one song leading into the 2nd half of the same song or are they two separate songs? 

I think this is a Rocket Queen type situation where the band had 2 songs and at some point decided to put them together into one.

Monsters is very good. Super heavy! Im still not convinced this is the final version but still its awesome. 

There was another version of this song played at the vienna party. Obviously the same song but another version with different guitar parts and probably some other vocals. 

But the more I listen to monster the more it grows. Its really really good.  

The General im not a big fan of. I dont think the song is good and the production needs much more work. This is probably the R-side of the Perhaps vinyl.

I wonder what the plan is for Monsters. I hope we will get an official release of this.

• Like 2

Just now, gokken said:

Monsters is very good. Super heavy! Im still not convinced this is the final version but still its awesome. 

There was another version of this song played at the vienna party. Obviously the same song but another version with different guitar parts and probably some other vocals. 

But the more I listen to monster the more it grows. Its really really good.  

The General im not a big fan of. I dont think the song is good and the production needs much more work. This is probably the R-side of the Perhaps vinyl.

I wonder what the plan is for Monsters. I hope we will get an official release of this.

I mean the song is registered as "The General and Monsters", it's the same song

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

just imagine the vinyl had only two tracks "Perhaps" and "The General". The song "Monsters" was accidentally pressed on it... but i don't think so because someone of TB said "The General is monster" or whatever on reddit?

Or "Monsters" is a unlisted hidden track after "The General".

I was thinking the same thing. How and why dis Monsters leak if The General’s gonna be the B-side to Perhaps? My theory is that Monsters was gonna be a hidden bonus track in that single or something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaoloLA said:

Maybe something in between, if that even exists? As one is not complete without the other, it's a very short pause but connects with the general part at the same time and the vibe of it stays the same.

The General, much like Atlas, is one of those songs treated as a legendary holy grail that actually ended up being terrible.

Axl’s studio efforts during the CD era really remind me of Billy Corgan after he reformed the Smashing Pumpkins. Many different ideas, very few good ones. Totally unwilling to throw out a bad song.

Monster is alright.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WillBailey said:

I didn't expect so much effects on Axl's voice. To me it's buried in SFX and it reminds me a bit of the Oh My God era. It was nice and cool in 1999, but not really what I'm looking for in 2023. The main thing for me is that all those songs came out 15-20 years too late.

It reminded me a lot of Oh My God too. I listened to OMG immediately after and it actually was a nice follow up lol

• Like 1