THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

20 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

GNR Fans: "They can't release 9 min of music on one side of a 7" vinyl"

GNR: Hold my beer...

image.png.cffd360c70c0ecea3fb66c475ff32dcf.png

It was possible in 1992. Why it's not possible today? Why are you guys ignoring facts. 

Yeah... it should be clear they're two songs. But it should also be clear they'd fit on one side in good quality.

No one is saying it isn't possible.....just that it will sound like shit, the more music you put on over 6 minutes. 

More info here. 

https://peakvinyl.com/record-playtimes/

To my brain, a delay in the vinyl due to sound quality + the band trying to fit 9 minutes of music on a 7" go hand-in-hand.

Vinyl absolutely can and has hold way more music than most Google results can find because they're based off of the modern standard for vinyl printing, which is 'make it good as sound as good as possible or else why not just make a digital copy?' And Justice For All by Metallica was a 65 minute album printed on a single LP to cut costs for the consumer. The pressing is not great but it's very possible. Edit: I'm wrong about AJFA, whoops! I'm fairly certain there's a 60ish minute thrash album in the 80s printed on a single LP but I can't remember what it is now.

Edited by bmus1

2 minutes ago, Duwz said:

maybe that's why they had problems with the vinyl quality and delayed the release?

I imagine that is very likely. Short of leaving off Monsters though there isn't much they can do, and I'm astonished if they sent all this to the printers with no-one pointing it out to them! 

But then, this is GNR, so.....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I imagine that is very likely. Short of leaving off Monsters though there isn't much they can do, and I'm astonished if they sent all this to the printers with no-one pointing it out to them! 

But then, this is GNR, so.....

It's VERY GnR, actually.

• Haha 1

Don't know if this has been posted yet but Robin Finck says that it's someone called Keith Scott on the demo for the General and  he had no input on it and he also wasn't on anything on the Locker leaks as Axl would mostly use session Guitarists for the songs

Edit: Looks like this is Fake (AI module)

Edited by kingcanyon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 2

5 minutes ago, marlon_brando said:

What?

I think it's just an AI module made to speak like Eddie Trunk and Robin (actually, I don't think I've ever heard Robin's voice except singing Sossego). I actually used some free online AI modules reproducing celebrities voice to send prank voice notes to friends. :lol:

16 minutes ago, kingcanyon said:

Don't know if this has been posted yet but Robin Finck says that it's someone called Keith Scott on the demo for the General and  he had no input on it and he also wasn't on anything on the Locker leaks as Axl would mostly use session Guitarists for the songs

Iit's not that uncommon at all for bands to do this. NuGNR was a band that performed live, but it's hard to say a "band" recorded what we have from the CD era in the way a lot of people thought or hoped happened. Whether this video is fake or not doesn't change that we don't know for certain who played on what unless credited officially. 

Edited by bumbleslash69

Yeah that has to be fake. Cause pretty sure most those demos couldn’t have Richard on them. Robin is without a doubt on 3 Dollar Pyramid and stuff. Then with The General and Monsters. I’d love to be wrong. But both of those are not old demos and at best are unmastered/unmixed songs

21 minutes ago, kingcanyon said:

Holy fuck that’s a bombshell 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

I think it's just an AI module made to speak like Eddie Trunk and Robin (actually, I don't think I've ever heard Robin's voice except singing Sossego). I actually used some free online AI modules reproducing celebrities voice to send prank voice notes to friends. :lol:

God, I hate this AI shit and where do I find these modules?

41 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

To my brain, a delay in the vinyl due to sound quality + the band trying to fit 9 minutes of music on a 7" go hand-in-hand.

Vinyl absolutely can and has hold way more music than most Google results can find because they're based off of the modern standard for vinyl printing, which is 'make it good as sound as good as possible or else why not just make a digital copy?' And Justice For All by Metallica was a 65 minute album printed on a single LP to cut costs for the consumer. The pressing is not great but it's very possible. Edit: I'm wrong about AJFA, whoops! I'm fairly certain there's a 60ish minute thrash album in the 80s printed on a single LP but I can't remember what it is now.

There’s a ton of reasons as to why something doesn’t translate to vinyl. Running time can be one of them. Mastering needs for vinyl is another big one. My guess goes towards the latter 

The hidden song theory just doesn’t make sense to me. They played it live. I wouldn’t expect more than what was presented. You’d think they’d want to stretch everything they have over multiple releases or hold something back for an EP/LP release with all of the singles