THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 minutes ago, DSTK said:

Sitting on it or released...its irrelevant as its out n we've all heard what seems to be a finished track 

Of course, but they've had this finished track for probably a couple years and they've decided to release mediocre, repetitive songs instead of an actual 'big gun'. Even if Axl can't sing the bridge live, this is the time to release it - when they're about to take a year off from touring. Like everything else about this band, it's frustrating and makes no sense. Thank fuck we got the leaks lol.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Of course, but they've had this finished track for probably a couple years and they've decided to release mediocre, repetitive songs instead of an actual 'big gun'. Even if Axl can't sing the bridge live, this is the time to release it - when they're about to take a year off from touring. Like everything else about this band, it's frustrating and makes no sense. Thank fuck we got the leaks lol.

Agreed 👍 

• Like 1

First listen after no leaks the vocals/effects are stifling to the enjoyment and wtf are those drums… ugh

Even Absurd gave me a better feeling post first listen… oh well, will see what multiple listens does to my overlying assessment, but I would say this is disappointing purely from the vocal effect stand point. 

Edited by 6lake sa66ath

10 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I just can't believe the arguably most hyped unreleased song for over a decade turned out to not only not be an A tier song, but a mediocre one, and then released with shit production. I wish I never heard it. 

It’s better to be put out of our misery than left wondering if there’s another estranged or you could be mine lurking in the back of the vault. 

None of the ‘newly’ released songs have been particularly compelling as new music 

• Like 1

Clipping doesnt bother me. What is rather unusual is that the cymbals have no high end frequencies to them. Aka they dont sound "crisp". Sounds like they put a high pass filter at 3khz. Although I am happy the kick is a bit too loud. I always prefer drums a tad too loud than too low

Personally I think The General is better than You Ain't The First, Bad Apples, Garden of Eden, My World, So Fine, New Rose, Attitude, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory, and almost all of Chinese Democracy except the title track and Madagascar which are the only 2 songs I like on that album.

Edited by UncleJosh
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Hahaha, the ending of this turd  is great,  it just stops, sounds like "ah, fuck this shit, this ain't no epic!"

What a turd of a song, amazing.

It goes nowhere and stops abruptly. Like driving around randomly and then slamming on the brakes.

There's a good song waiting to climb out of the mess,  get finished, and then mixed properly.

53 minutes ago, LandOla said:

Ohhh daddy don't 

I swear I won't

47 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I just can't believe the arguably most hyped unreleased song for over a decade turned out to not only not be an A tier song, but a mediocre one, and then released with shit production. I wish I never heard it. 

It's more than obvious at this point that the material that didn't make the album is the so called B list.

The B list is average songs and unfinished big guns mixed by Helen Keller.

28 minutes ago, perfect_spy said:

a good set of headphones.

13 minutes ago, axljungle said:

Can’t wait to hear with a good headphones.

That old chestnut.

The magical headphones that make this stuff sound like Dark Side of the Moon meets Aja. :tongue2:

35 minutes ago, perfect_spy said:

I like the song. I can hear the lyrics perfectly on a good set of headphones. A song of anguish. Now I just want more releases lol.

“A song of anguish” - couldn’t have said it better myself.

Man, this is definitely QUITE a polarizing release. I, myself (and some others I’ve noticed) consider it some great quality GNR content, while others are absolutely appalled.

Goes to show ya, music is inherently subjective. :D 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

“A song of anguish” - couldn’t have said it better myself.

Man, this is definitely QUITE a polarizing release. I, myself (and some others I’ve noticed) consider it some great quality GNR content, while others are absolutely appalled.

Goes to show ya, music is inherently subjective. :D 

Nah, this release is pure shit. Everyone posting here is a harcore fan but please be honest to yourself.

This is the worst.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Ok, this is the official version now.

I think it fucking sucks, it's the worst officially released GnR song ever. 

The ending especially sounds exactly like something Dustin Bones would do. The song is boring, weak and the vocals are ridiculous. The drums sound like utter shit. The whole production is shit. I'm 100% convinced Slash and Duff don't think that this is great music, they should be ashamed. Wow. This is the lowest lowpoint in GnR history, imo.

Its my favorite song behind Estranged. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I don’t think we have definitive proof of that. 

The 'proof' is the quote from Melissa's website, saying Brain was on Absurd and Hardschool.

It doesn't really matter because the HS drums are so sterile it may as well be a drum machine, but since Brain is on all the other singles it's fair to assume it's also him on Hardschool.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1