THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

15 hours ago, BigMike322 said:

I got my Japanese CD 2 days ago.  I also have the U.S. vinyl, amd the 8ball with limited options. 

I got mine yesterday and I love it !
Good start for 2024.

Hopefully there will be more to come but to be honest....this might gonna be a silent year.

We'll see : BE GOOD all of you !!!

• Like 2

I wonder how many more songs they recorded over. We know at least one (Monsters), and most of us assume Atlas as well. There's probably at least 6 songs total, including Hard Stool, Absurd, Perhaps and The General. I bet they did at least 2 others as well. (Oh My God, Berlin/Oklahoma, Zodiac, Seven, etc.) If we are lucky, NITL won't touch some of these songs and we will get to hear them with Buckethead and/or Robin Finck. :) 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

24 minutes ago, axljungle said:

I hope they release State Of Grace with Monsters. And a story video for one of this songs.

I hope they do a lyric video for The General and Monsters so I know what Axl is singing more than 75% of the time. :P 

4 hours ago, bmus1 said:

Monsters sounds super unfinished after listening really closely. Drum machines, synthetic vocals, and sloppy guitar galore.

Honestly it sounds more finished to me than Scraped does on the actual CD album lol.  The guitar work doesn't sound sloppy to me on Monsters, and the drum machines in the verses seem more of an artistic decision (Prostitute for example) rather than placeholder drums

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Honestly it sounds more finished to me than Scraped does on the actual CD album lol.  The guitar work doesn't sound sloppy to me on Monsters, and the drum machines in the verses seem more of an artistic decision (Prostitute for example) rather than placeholder drums

Scraped might be their worst produced song in the discography, even with The General’s clipping.

The synthesized elements do sound intentional and not placeholder though, you’re right. Interested to finally hear an official version one day.

I still say Axl’s pitch is a little off on the “oh’s” in the choruses and it sounds like the final guitar note isn’t totally in time for Monsters. I still dig the song, of course

Maybe the high quality, final version would help

Edited by ZoSoRose

7 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Are people ever going to get over this shit?  Buckethead hasn't been in the band for 20 years and literally nothing will ever come from nuGuns again if it isn't leaked by anybody.  It's time to move on already 

Predicting the future are we?

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

At least Scraped can be understood lyrically upon the first listen. It's crisp, and produced well IMO. Maybe just needs the bass turned up like the rest of the 2008 album, but aside from that, great production. The General sounds like an unmixed mess. 

42 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I still say Axl’s pitch is a little off on the “oh’s” in the choruses and it sounds like the final guitar note isn’t totally in time for Monsters. I still dig the song, of course

Maybe the high quality, final version would help

It sounds like a finished version to me, my opinion is, it's the best GNR song we've had since OMG , better than anything on Chinese or the releases since 

Just now, DSTK said:

It sounds like a finished version to me, my opinion is, it's the best GNR song we've had since OMG , better than anything on Chinese or the releases since 

It’s definitely the finished version lol. A great song, and one of the best ChiDem session ones

5 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Yeah, those drum machines aren't something I'm really fond of. They fit Prostitute a lot better, IMO. But it's still a great song. Solid verses, really cool breakdown, good chorus and the best Slash solo since the reunion. I have absolutely no hope for the production in the final version to be any better than what we got in the leak. 99,9% chance it will be the exact same version. 

13 hours ago, bmus1 said:

Monsters sounds super unfinished after listening really closely. Drum machines, synthetic vocals, and sloppy guitar galore.

Pretty sure the version we have is the official mixed and mastered version, just not officially released. The drums and vocals are definitely on purpose, and slash has been sloppy for years, maybe too on purpose to give it more of a live feel or energy. I'd like the orchestra higher in the mix, but the sound is very similar to the official released version of the general. I think what gives it the 'unfinished' sound is more likely the vocal layers and the fact that they're not all in the same time and that he's singing slightly different things under the main lead vocal, it gives it a messy feel but thats clearly what he's looking for, compared to say the massive clean crisp over produced vocal on hardskool. 

14 hours ago, bmus1 said:

It sounds more finished than songs they have actually released, at least to me it does.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I don’t see the issue with wanting to hear Bucket/Finck versions of songs - it’s not like anybody is obsessively saying “I wish they would rejoin GN’R”. They were involved in the creative process for these songs a lot more than Slash was, and we know Monsters and Hard Skool sound quite different than they did at one point. I am insanely curious to hear earlier versions of all of these songs, because it’s about the creative process for me. That’s one of the most fascinating things about the CD era to me - with the number of leaks we have, there aren’t many albums out there where the creative process and evolution of some songs can be heard the way it can with CD. Some songs changed fairly significantly over time, others not at all. 

I mean I would like to hear them but I'm not so disillusioned to think that the band is going to officially release them. That period is over. Slash is back in the band and as long as he is there anything official that the band releases is going to involve him and Duff. Not Bucket and Robin.

20 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I mean I would like to hear them but I'm not so disillusioned to think that the band is going to officially release them. That period is over. Slash is back in the band and as long as he is there anything official that the band releases is going to involve him and Duff. Not Bucket and Robin.

I could see them being released as bonus content or as part of some CD anniversary release. We got a few seconds of Robin on Perhaps, and I can hear a little Bucket on Absurd as well. Not sure on Hard Skool. If Guns actually drops a full record, it wouldn't surprise me if a song or two is left alone from that era.

Casuals wouldn't know. Imagine if they released an EP with NITL Perhaps, Absurd, Hard Skool, and The General along with 2008 Better, This I Love, The Blues and TWAT. Aside from the better production of the 2008 songs, no casual is going to know who played on that. 

Edited by Sweersa

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

I could see them being released as bonus content or as part of some CD anniversary release. We got a few seconds of Robin on Perhaps, and I can hear a little Bucket on Absurd as well. Not sure on Hard Skool. If Guns actually drops a full record, it wouldn't surprise me if a song or two is left alone from that era.

Casuals wouldn't know. Imagine if they released an EP with NITL Perhaps, Absurd, Hard Skool, and The General along with 2008 Better, This I Love, The Blues and TWAT. Aside from the better production of the 2008 songs, no casual is going to know who played on that. 

I don't believe anything from that era with them on will ever be released under any circumstances unless it's a tiny clip on a song like the Perhaps thing. Only way I could ever see a full song happening would be if Slash left and Fink or Bucket came back. I would be stunned if there was a CD anniversary release, although would obviously be happy if there was.

• Like 1