Kiss is replacing itself with AI

rocknroll41

https://www.fastcompany.com/90989900/kiss-final-concert-avatar-virtual-band-pophouse

Kiss played their last show today, but the band also just announced that they’re replacing themselves with holograms that’ll go on tour next year.

These are different from the Abba holograms because they’re intertwined with AI, so they’ll be able to interact with the crowd in real-time, and every show will be slightly different.

I'm not surprised. This is exactly the kind of shit Kiss would do. Well, Paul and Gene to be exact. They always had zero class, but the classic albums are still great and the live shows so it doesn't really bother me. This hologram shit isn't for me though. I think it sucks.

Honestly, who will pay to see this? I get that people want to see the ABBA show, as abba made legendary songs and haven’t performed live since the early 80s so a lot of people never had the chance to see the real deal.

But with Kiss, if these avatars go live in 5 years (I mean Gene has to generate profit from this so they can’t wait too long), I guess lots of people will pass because they’ve seen the real band.

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I would maybe understand this if they made the best songs ever, but they're music is mostly cringey and so are their fans. Never got the kiss hype. 

to each his own, for me there are like 8 great Kiss albums at least. They did know how to write great tunes imho. Nothing too complicated, but what they did was done right. All the classic Kiss members were very talented, but if you don't relate to it, you don't relate to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I would maybe understand this if they made the best songs ever, but they're music is mostly cringey and so are their fans. Never got the kiss hype. 

I mean… this can be said about lots of bands, including GNR. It comes down to a matter of taste. I personally think KISS, their music and their fanbase are about in the same level of cringe as GNR. It comes down to personal preferences, in the end.

• Like 1

This might be the most KISS thing that KISS has ever done. 

I couldn't imagine ever going to a hologram show myself though. I might be wrong, but I doubt it could ever feel real or organic to me in the way a concert would. 

I couldn't see myself going to a KISS show either, but that's besides the point. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dangom1 said:

ABBA voyage is one of the best things I've seen and I'm no way a huge fan. 

If this is as good, this will be great.

I was thinking about this. While I’d still prefer if they replaced Paul and Gene with new members, wearing the same makeup, posing as The Demon and The Starchild, I think I would like to go to an augmented reality KISS concert with no hassle at all, watching a concert from their prime. It would be awesome.

11 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I was thinking about this. While I’d still prefer if they replaced Paul and Gene with new members, wearing the same makeup, posing as The Demon and The Starchild, I think I would like to go to an augmented reality KISS concert with no hassle at all, watching a concert from their prime. It would be awesome.

The problem is these new avatars of theirs are modeled after the current members, the way they are now.

• Like 1

I find it pretty amazing, perfect for a band like Kiss really, at that point, who cares who's behind the make up, it's like its own entity, the music is there, tons of albums, the technology is there too, so no problem to me, they always try to move on to new stuff and they are always ahead of their time about marketing and business (yeah well, you can even buy a Kiss coffin...)

the next step I suppose is training an AI with all the studio albums and making a new album with it. 

Kiss would become the first immortal rock n'roll band, and that alone, is kinda amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

I find it pretty amazing, perfect for a band like Kiss really, at that point, who cares who's behind the make up, it's like its own entity, the music is there, tons of albums, the technology is there too, so no problem to me, they always try to move on to new stuff and they are always ahead of their time about marketing and business (yeah well, you can even buy a Kiss coffin...)

the next step I suppose is training an AI with all the studio albums and making a new album with it. 

Kiss would become the first immortal rock n'roll band, and that alone, is kinda amazing.

I do wonder if the holograms will preform any “deep cuts” from albums like Hot in the Shade, etc. I guess Ace and Peter stuff like New York Groove is out of the question since the avatars aren’t based on them.

Edited by rocknroll41

Just now, Cosmo said:

I don’t get why they didn’t partner with Ace and Peter on this. Man, if it were something like “relive the 70s era KISS concerts", I’d be more excited for this than any KISS concert I’ve ever seen.

I think Paul and Gene would rather keep the amount of control they have on the brand. They don't seem to want to include Ace and Peter. A lot of shit slinging in the press throughout the year between Paul and Ace, as well.

• Like 2

Saw the PPV concert last night. What a night!

My mom was at the 1977 concert in MSG to see KISS for the first time! Epic! she also went to the club Coventry but not on the night KISS was there. It was their early years.

Anyway, not surprised by KISS becoming Avatars. They have always re invented themselves so this is just another step into the future and their legacy! Can't wait to see this new way of seeing a concert!

rock on, KISS!

1 hour ago, silkchild said:

Because Peter criss is a terrible drummer? He’s embarrassing 

Got that righ! I think this is the best KISS. I have seen them many times and they are amazing. Eric and Tommy rock as hard as Gene and Paul.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I think Paul and Gene would rather keep the amount of control they have on the brand. They don't seem to want to include Ace and Peter. A lot of shit slinging in the press throughout the year between Paul and Ace, as well.

Ace never played well with Gene and Paul and Peter isn't the drummer Eric is!

3 hours ago, DeNfr said:

Paul has always said KISS is beyond those 4 guys, so there you go!