The General Music Video Discussion Thread

43 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Okay, cool. I will probably get to that interview later. Still trawling through interviews from March 2018, it is slow work cuz I have to transcribe so many of them (thank you very much, Brando and Sid!)

you can see in the making of the videos that it was a double

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Maybe it was a mix of him and the stunt double in the end.

on second thought, maybe you're right and it was a mix. I just found this excerpt:

- They do reveal that for the second guitar solo where Slash rises up out of the ocean, he indeed had a stunt double (there's a cute part where he encounters the stunt double). Slash had to wear a wetsuit under his clothes for the parts of this shot that are really him.

Headbangers Vault - Heavy Metal Videos: Guns N Roses, "The Making of 'Estranged'"

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I really think TG video is bad…not only for the animation itself, but its a mesa of imagery.

Its hard to understand whats happening. Is it only me?

I don't think it is meant to be a story. More a collection of themes. It is not unlikely Axl didn't want the story behind the lyrics to The General to be depicted as a story, either. In my interpretation, the video explores topics of isolation, decay, monsters, change/transition and innocence. All relevant to, if not the lyrics directly, so to the themes explored in the lyrics. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Slash said it was a Slash double and that it wasn't him in an interview where the interviewer mentioned that scene. I think because of the risk involved.

I think it was Andy Morahan who definitely said it was a double. I don't remember if Slash has stated this clearly.

Edit: Andy Morahan said it was an Axl double in the scene he jumps from in the water.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

Just now, Blackstar said:

I think it was Andy Morahan who definitely said it was a double. I don't remember if Slash has stated this clearly.

from what Soulmonster has posted and making fuckin' videos, I now think that it's very possible that it was a mix like Janrichmond said it was. as for Slash himself talking about it, I do remember an interview where Slash has clearly said it was a double, but I couldn't find the link before I got too lazy.

one thing I'm sure of and that for some of the shots where Slash emerges from the water, they used a double and it wasn't really Slash.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I really think TG video is bad…not only for the animation itself, but its a mesa of imagery.

Its hard to understand whats happening. Is it only me?

No, it seems a majority of us dislike the video, including me. 

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

from what Soulmonster has posted and making fuckin' videos, I now think that it's very possible that it was a mix like Janrichmond said it was. as for Slash himself talking about it, I do remember an interview where Slash has clearly said it was a double, but I couldn't find the link before I got too lazy.

one thing I'm sure of and that for some of the shots where Slash emerges from the water, they used a double and it wasn't really Slash.

Yeah, that's likely.

Regarding what Andy Morahan said, upon further review (from memory), I think he was actually talking about the scene Axl jumped in the water (saying that they used an Axl double there) and maybe he mentioned a Slash double as well.

There is something I always ask myself about any new music from bands I like and in this case if it wasn't  GNR  woulld I like it and for the general the answer is no. I don't like the song or video for that matter. No because of the IA just don't get it.

The only song I like put out since the reunion is perhaps. 

I am sort of surprised that so many seem to almost loath The General, the song. I mean, clipping issues and poor mix aside and too late and not living up to expectations and all that, valid or not, to me it is still a decent rocking song. The chorus is very classic Guns to me, with driving power chords under a belting Axl. Axl even puts in some really fierce attack into the, "ones who understand". People always mention the bridge in Monsters, well, you have the same anger in that line in the General chorus. And the drums are great.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am sort of surprised that so many seem to almost loath The General, the song. I mean, clipping issues and poor mix aside and too late and not living up to expectations and all that, valid or not, to me it is still a decent rocking song. The chorus is very classic Guns to me, with driving power chords under a belting Axl. Axl even puts in some really fierce attack into the, "ones who understand". People always mention the bridge in Monsters, well, you have the same anger in that line in the General chorus. And the drums are great.

it's Gn'R doing Korn to my ears and it works for me. The chorus is catchy and strong and the part you mentioned is my favorite part of the chorus. only Axl can sing it like that. good outro as well imo.

this is a song that was mentioned 20 years ago with also Bach talking it up (not his fault) so maybe it's just another case of high expectations, it seems like many posters here just expected something else, maybe more elaborate or grand while others probably just didn't like the song, it happens.

I also think that some fans are just starved for new material, they want a full album so that potentially makes it worse cause everytime Gn'R releases a single or two and they're not feeling it, they make a big deal out of it cause Gn'R releases of never before heard material don't happen very often, 

still, most of us here seems to dig Monsters so maybe for some it's not specifically or only about The General, but also that it could have been some other song in its place that maybe they would have liked and now they would probably need to wait again until Axl decides to release more material.

honestly, my guess is that there are specific style of tunes that are more easily liked by a certain type of Gn'R fan: more old school or at least contains more classic Gn'R elements so while The General does include such elements like the power chords in the chorus you've mentioned and other shit, I think Monsters if more easily digestable and with a more melodic and familiar Slash guitar work.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, I don't really understand the hate either. My biggest problem with the song is that it ends too soon, which I guess is a positive thing in some ways because I want more of it. In fact, I've tried to find more bands that make dark and epic music, preferably with an orchestra. But it's difficult to find anything that's quite like 'The General' and 'Monsters.'

But, in general, it seems like people tend to hate songs where Axl uses any kind of effects on his voice. 'Oh My God' got a lot of hate back in the day. 'Absurd' got a lot of hate. The same thing happened with 'The General.' Personally I don't mind the effects, but clearly many people hate it.

1 minute ago, Lies They Tell said:

Yeah, I don't really understand the hate either. My biggest problem with the song is that it ends too soon, which I guess is a positive thing in some ways because I want more of it. In fact, I've tried to find more bands that make dark and epic music, preferably with an orchestra. But it's difficult to find anything that's quite like 'The General' and 'Monsters.'

But, in general, it seems like people tend to hate songs where Axl uses any kind of effects on his voice. 'Oh My God' got a lot of hate back in the day. 'Absurd' got a lot of hate. The same thing happened with 'The General.' Personally I don't mind the effects, but clearly many people hate it.

Its just another thing they didnt get right/  Its been such a hyped song, and its just ok.  Personally, Monsters is a way better song and he sounds much better singing it.  Both leaked on same day, and we get the lesser song

Amazing song and video.

brillaint. The minimalistic beats reminds me of sleaford mods, maybe they are fans.

GnR still doing their own thing, they’ve never made safe music. Fuck the haters, you sound like my parents 30 years ago. Listen to yourselves😊

Does anyone else see a creepy Epstein image at 2:54.?

Edited by Senor_peligro13
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Senor_peligro13 said:

Amazing song and video.

brillaint. The minimalistic beats reminds me of sleaford mods, maybe they are fans.

GnR still doing their own thing, they’ve never made safe music. Fuck the haters, you sound like my parents 30 years ago. Listen to yourselves😊

Does anyone else see a creepy Epstein image at 2:54.?

Is this a joke post? 

Sorry, I can't work it out! I mean obviously none of these things are true....but you did make me chuckle with the Sleaford Mods inspiration bit, given that the song predates their entire existence! 

GNR are the very definition of a safe band these days. They're as dangerous as an F'N cup of tea. Fam.  

Edited by allwaystired
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, that's likely.

Regarding what Andy Morahan said, upon further review (from memory), I think he was actually talking about the scene Axl jumped in the water (saying that they used an Axl double there) and maybe he mentioned a Slash double as well.

In Slash's case it was both - him and a double. IIRC in the Making Of you can even see him asking Andy why he needs a double and that moment the double walks by. However, he talks about being in a wet suit as well and one can see that in the water it's a mix of both him and the double (who is more sturdy and has different moves) 

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Nothing is happening.

Management contracted some cheap ass generation fuck all startup, then somebody typed in "the music group guns n' roses" + "skeletons" + "children" + "boys" + "dystopian urban landscape" + "night" + "neon colors" + "inspired by the movie Blade Runner" and then clicked on "morph with live footage" and "auto edit".

The result is the "music video" of The General.

There is nothing to "get" or understand. There is no direction, no cinematography, no acting, no storyboard, let alone a story or message to begin with. It's just what happens when people on very bad drugs living in their own bubbles are doing their thing totally disconnected from the outside world and their audience, hence their (in case of GNR non existent) reaction to the majority of initial reactions. They might have gotten the "artificial" part, but as far as "intelligence" goes they got a hell of a lot of living to do.

I said it before, just think of what Michael Jackson would have done with AI technology. You don't have to be a fan of his to understand how far off the rails this band and their entourage of coked out yes men have already gone.

I'm actually a little offended by contractors telling me I don't "get" a band I have already followed, recommended and supported 30+ years ago while the majority of those Starbucks hipsters were still shitting their diapers. I'm even more offended by the band not telling them to shut the fuck up. If anyone is in the position to tell people they don't get it, it's GNR not their coked out payroll people obviously not getting it themselves in the first place.

Couldn't agree more. This text is gold my friend. ♥️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Nothing is happening.

Management contracted some cheap ass generation fuck all startup, then somebody typed in "the music group guns n' roses" + "skeletons" + "children" + "boys" + "dystopian urban landscape" + "night" + "neon colors" + "inspired by the movie Blade Runner" and then clicked on "morph with live footage" and "auto edit".

The result is the "music video" of The General.

There is nothing to "get" or understand. There is no direction, no cinematography, no acting, no storyboard, let alone a story or message to begin with. It's just what happens when people on very bad drugs living in their own bubbles are doing their thing totally disconnected from the outside world and their audience, hence their (in case of GNR non existent) reaction to the majority of initial reactions. They might have gotten the "artificial" part, but as far as "intelligence" goes they got a hell of a lot of living to do.

I said it before, just think of what Michael Jackson would have done with AI technology. You don't have to be a fan of his to understand how far off the rails this band and their entourage of coked out yes men have already gone.

I'm actually a little offended by contractors telling me I don't "get" a band I have already followed, recommended and supported 30+ years ago while the majority of those Starbucks hipsters were still shitting their diapers. I'm even more offended by the band not telling them to shut the fuck up. If anyone is in the position to tell people they don't get it, it's GNR not their coked out payroll people obviously not getting it themselves in the first place.

It doesn't even have to be a startup. It could literally just be Fernando with an iphone, uploading the live footage and choosing which style of AI he wants. I have done this before and it's so bad I discarded it. You literally just need to download an AI video generator app and it will have this result. And it's cheap. Like for 100 USD he'd have all of those images he generated.

• Like 2