Appetite Five reunion setlist - What would you include?

37 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

He also did the budwieser ad, played on cruise ships for rich arabs and russian oligarchs, and then did actually reunite with slash - but only for the highest ever offer paid out by coachella at the time. so let's not pretend Axl isn't driven by money. He may like to give off that vibe to keep some cred, but he definitely is. 

Money seems to be the absolute prime motive for GNR to exist now. Anyone saying otherwise is living in the past or being wilfully blind. 

The only comeback there possibly to it is that the sets are long. That's the only thing they don't HAVE to do. 

Anyway as we're in fantasy land, imagine if they did this, did theatre type venues.....and did something really nice like make tickets super cheap and available by a random lottery to fans. 

I'm still not convinced that the GNR ticket buying public would give two stuffs if Steven and Izzy were there or not as I doubt they know who they are, but I guess you can probably badge and hype something up enough to convince people they NEED to see it and do stadiums at astronomical prices. Which is what they'd do no doubt if it happens.  

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Money seems to be the absolute prime motive for GNR to exist now. Anyone saying otherwise is living in the past or being wilfully blind. 

The only comeback there possibly to it is that the sets are long. That's the only thing they don't HAVE to do. 

Anyway as we're in fantasy land, imagine if they did this, did theatre type venues.....and did something really nice like make tickets super cheap and available by a random lottery to fans. 

I'm still not convinced that the GNR ticket buying public would give two stuffs if Steven and Izzy were there or not as I doubt they know who they are, but I guess you can probably badge and hype something up enough to convince people they NEED to see it and do stadiums at astronomical prices. Which is what they'd do no doubt if it happens.  

imagine your surprise if Axl decides to take his time and release a studio album of original material years from now. stranger things have happened. 

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

imagine your surprise if Axl decides to take his time and release a studio album of original material years from now. stranger things have happened. 

I would absolutely love it. 

How many 'years' are we talking here though? 

I think the AFD reunion shows are probably a lot more likely at this stage than him writing a single note of original material.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

soon is not the word, a definite maybe.

I would imagine any offers from promoters to tour now might come with caveats based on 'something new to promote' so that could stir the pot. I do think it's likely that's why we got Perhaps etc. 

Of course, dusting down old unused CD stuff ticks that box, and an AFD tour would do too in the eyes of promoters looking for a selling point. 

Having said that if course, tickets (especially outside of the US) seem to sell ok anyway....

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I would imagine any offers from promoters to tour now might come with caveats based on 'something new to promote' so that could stir the pot. I do think it's likely that's why we got Perhaps etc. 

Of course, dusting down old unused CD stuff ticks that box, and an AFD tour would do too in the eyes of promoters looking for a selling point. 

Having said that if course, tickets (especially outside of the US) seem to sell ok anyway....

do promoters really give a shit about new material? idk. what I'm mainly driving at is that as far as speculation goes, I think Axl cares very much about the legacy of Gn'R and that is naturally tied to the Gn'R catalog. with Slash and Duff back in the band, he will need to present at least some new material that will be a part of the meat of a potential final Gn'R album, and I think Axl got the time to make that a reality, if he's still interested. with Slash and Duff it can be done imo. what's stopping Axl from releasing an album with some reworked 90's ideas and new material 8 years from now? there is a lot that can be done in a studio with that kind of time. just thoughts.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Tbh i doubt promoters give a shit. tickets will sell regardless. maybe not to the same extent without a new big hit, but GnR aren't going to release and promote a big hit so wouldn't matter. US now will be arenas, i think in major european cities they'll still play stadiums. Arenas everywhere else. Then again maybe half empty stadium is financially better than 2 arenas. 

Didnt motley and Def leppard play wembley stadium to like 28k in a 90k capacity? Costs of hiring stadium for one night was less than arena for 2? Pics were crazy https://twitter.com/JonathanDean_/status/1676572412148604931?lang=en

27 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Tbh i doubt promoters give a shit. tickets will sell regardless. maybe not to the same extent without a new big hit, but GnR aren't going to release and promote a big hit so wouldn't matter. US now will be arenas, i think in major european cities they'll still play stadiums. Arenas everywhere else. Then again maybe half empty stadium is financially better than 2 arenas. 

Didnt motley and Def leppard play wembley stadium to like 28k in a 90k capacity? Costs of hiring stadium for one night was less than arena for 2? Pics were crazy https://twitter.com/JonathanDean_/status/1676572412148604931?lang=en

That Motley Crue thing was mad. I bet they still made large profits with it though. 

In regards to the promoter's thing- in some ways they don't give a shit, but they also like a 'hook' to sell tickets on. 

As we've said though- as long as people are still buying I suppose the promoter's demands will be lower.  

46 minutes ago, Rovim said:

do promoters really give a shit about new material? idk. what I'm mainly driving at is that as far as speculation goes, I think Axl cares very much about the legacy of Gn'R and that is naturally tied to the Gn'R catalog. with Slash and Duff back in the band, he will need to present at least some new material that will be a part of the meat of a potential final Gn'R album, and I think Axl got the time to make that a reality, if he's still interested. with Slash and Duff it can be done imo. what's stopping Axl from releasing an album with some reworked 90's ideas and new material 8 years from now? there is a lot that can be done in a studio with that kind of time. just thoughts.

I think the key point there is "if he's still interested". 

It could be done, for sure. Slash and Duff would do it in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Well that's an easy fix. I'm sure Matt and Gilby would happily fill those spots if asked too. Keep Dizzy. With those three plus Axl, Slash and Duff you've got the next best classic line up 👍.

So an AFD reunion would be Axl, Slash, and Duff, plus Dizzy and two other guys who weren't on AFD?

In other words, basically what we have now 😂 Matt, I can understand the case for, but Gilby was a hired hand even moreso than Richard. It makes no sense to ditch Richard for him if Izzy's not available

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Exactly. I said this in another thread a while back. Stadium shows are just more cost-effective these days. It's obvious when bands like Mötley Crüe, Def Leppard, The Who, and more are playing to half (or more) empty stadiums when they could easily sell out arenas.

The cost to rent the places are probably closer, so those extra couple of thousand seats filled must be worth it, even if you're way off selling out.

GN'R will be playing stadiums (somewhere at least) for the rest of their existence

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

In other words, basically what we have now 😂 Matt, I can understand the case for, but Gilby was a hired hand even moreso than Richard. It makes no sense to ditch Richard for him if Izzy's not available

I'd swap Fortus out for Gilby 100%. I think Matt's a prat but a great drummer. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I'd swap Fortus out for Gilby 100%.

Have to ask why? Gilby was in the band just over 18 months as a live touring fill in for izzy who they were still trying to get back. Didn't play on any original GnR material and hasn't done anything great as a solo star or celebrity to justify any extra interest. Fortus is an elite level guitar player, been in the band 22 years, played on chinese democracy and some of the newer stuff, and been touring with slash now for 8 years. Ok he's not irreplaceable i grant you, but he's very much the glue of this new band. Plus i really liked his playing in the dead daises, so he's got the ability to be part of good new material if Axl ever let him, gilby was sacked coz he didnt have the ability to write gnr calibre guitar rifs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Have to ask why? Gilby was in the band just over 18 months as a live touring fill in for izzy who they were still trying to get back. Didn't play on any original GnR material and hasn't done anything great as a solo star or celebrity to justify any extra interest. Fortus is an elite level guitar player, been in the band 22 years, played on chinese democracy and some of the newer stuff, and been touring with slash now for 8 years. Ok he's not irreplaceable i grant you, but he's very much the glue of this new band. Plus i really liked his playing in the dead daises, so he's got the ability to be part of good new material if Axl ever let him, gilby was sacked coz he didnt have the ability to write gnr calibre guitar rifs. 

Fortus just seems to try too hard to be 'cool' and it doesn't seem natural. I always liked Gilby. It's just my preference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Fortus just seems to try too hard to be 'cool' and it doesn't seem natural. I always liked Gilby. It's just my preference.

Gilby's playing has that less is more charm to it and it's tasteful with a warm tone. he can play lead too, but he is a true rhythm player at heart. Richard has a lot of control on the instrument but he's more of a lead player

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

On 2/19/2024 at 10:41 PM, JimiRose said:

Gilby was in GN'R for about three years from late 91 - late 94. He's produced and played with LA Guns, Nancy Sinatra and The Bronx. Played with Heart, MC5 and others. Been in a supergroup with Tommy Lee and Jason Newstead. Gilby's solo albums don't aim to reinvent the wheel but they're fun and well crafted. Maybe his solo stuff doesn't sell a ton to the mainstream but neither does Izzy's. Doesn't mean they're not good.

As for the the old chestnut of Gilby not being good enough to write with GN'R. Since letting Gilby go GN'R released one album.

Edited by Gunner Gilby
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 2/16/2024 at 8:23 AM, JimiRose said:

I actually think we will get this in the next 5 years or so. Maybe a one off show, or a small tour in theatres or arenas. The only thing is it has to be just these on 5. No dizzy, no piano no 3rd guitarist etc. Give us 85-90 So I've tried to only pick songs from that era that steven would have a part in either demo, live or studio. 

Setlist 

1. Welcome to the Jungle
  2. It's So Easy
  3. Mr Brownstone
  4. Reckless Life
  5. Shadow Of Your Love
  6. Rocket Queen
  7. Out Ta Get Me
  8. Civil War
  9. Rocket Queen
  10. You're Crazy (Lies Version)
  11. My Michelle
  12. Think About You
  13. Nice Boys
  14. Anything Goes
  15. You Could Be Mine
  16. Slash Solo
  17. Sweet Child O' Mine
  18. KOHD
  19. Nightrain

Encore

20. Patience

21. Don't Cry

22. Paradise City

I left out a Duff or Izzy solo spot. I don't recall there being many in those early days, but if Axl wanted it broken up then I wouldn't mind seeing DTJ, Dust and Bones or 14 years added, or a duff punk cover. I also think there's room for Whole Lotta Rosie which that line up did (as well as others since) or heartbreak hotel, that would match the energy of that era, but whether 67 year old does it justice I dont know. 

I mean you haven’t left us many options! I’d drop You Could Be Mine and put in Move To The City.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 9:31 AM, Gunner Gilby said:

Nah. I seriously doubt Axl is short of money. He got offered big money many times to reunite with Slash n Duff but resisted until the time was right.

I remember in the early 2010s there were plenty of rumours suggesting Axl wasn't as comfy as he used to be. It seems crazy considering he takes the biggest share from the gnr catalogue but he also seemed/seems to spend money like water. Like the story of the Knew York apartment. Add that together with touring for years with all the basic costs and then adding late fee penalties on a lot of these gigs. It all cuts down the bottom line. 

I don't think money was his only concern with the reunion though, absolutely helped her the deal done but I think he valued the chance to put the past in the past with Slash etc. 

I think right now he is incredibly wealthy, in 2014? Far from broke but not as secure as he (or his accounts) might have liked.

On 2/17/2024 at 12:23 AM, JimiRose said:

I actually think we will get this in the next 5 years or so. Maybe a one off show, or a small tour in theatres or arenas. The only thing is it has to be just these on 5. No dizzy, no piano no 3rd guitarist etc. Give us 85-90 So I've tried to only pick songs from that era that steven would have a part in either demo, live or studio. 

Setlist 

1. Welcome to the Jungle
  2. It's So Easy
  3. Mr Brownstone
  4. Reckless Life
  5. Shadow Of Your Love
  6. Rocket Queen
  7. Out Ta Get Me
  8. Civil War
  9. Rocket Queen
  10. You're Crazy (Lies Version)
  11. My Michelle
  12. Think About You
  13. Nice Boys
  14. Anything Goes
  15. You Could Be Mine
  16. Slash Solo
  17. Sweet Child O' Mine
  18. KOHD
  19. Nightrain

Encore

20. Patience

21. Don't Cry

22. Paradise City

I left out a Duff or Izzy solo spot. I don't recall there being many in those early days, but if Axl wanted it broken up then I wouldn't mind seeing DTJ, Dust and Bones or 14 years added, or a duff punk cover. I also think there's room for Whole Lotta Rosie which that line up did (as well as others since) or heartbreak hotel, that would match the energy of that era, but whether 67 year old does it justice I dont know. 

Why not just play AFD in full and call it a day.

This is what should have happened on the aniversary. Release the boxset (on time) and a short AFD reunion tour playing the full album to support it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vloors said:

Why not just play AFD in full and call it a day.

This is what should have happened on the aniversary. Release the boxset (on time) and a short AFD reunion tour playing the full album to support it. 

An expensive show just to see 12 songs though!

• PERHAPS 1

I Imagine it would be:

All of AFD

Patience

UTLH

Reckless Life/Shadow Of Your Love/Whole Lotta Rosie

KOHD

YCBM

NR

Don’t Cry 

Civil War

Attitude/New Rose for Duff’s spot

Dust N’ Bones/14 Years for Izzy’s spot

Edited by The Real McCoy

On 2/19/2024 at 1:24 AM, allwaystired said:

Not sure we're you have been hiding, but the music industry and artists make money from touring, not selling albums or via streaming services. 

Guns N Roses have no control over the music industry and we're the revenue lies via supply and demand. 

The supply and demand from the paying public is in buying tickets to watch an artist's live performance, not going to a record store to buy a record or CD. 

I cannot understand, why people as yourself take issue with the money the band is making, when they are simply following a change in the way the music industry operates today.. 

The people that control the music industry today, are the likes of Live Nation,Danny Wimmer Presents and other concert promotors around the world including those who promote music festivals. 

They are offering guaranteed income to the artists. The artist gets paid regardless of how many tickets are sold and the promotor takes the financial risk and covers all the costs. 

Universal Music, Sony Music and Warner Music aren't the power brokers of the music industry anymore.. 

They aren't going to sign artists up to multi million dollar record label deals because they won't get a return on that investment via album sales like they once did in the past. 

The artists aren't making money from album sales, so they are making money from preforming live to provide for themselves and their families. 

Why wouldn't the band go were the money is?. 

It seems stupid not to... 

Do you honestly think in today's music industry, Universal Music are going to pay Guns N Roses to occupy studios, have producers, techs, engineers and band members on retainer to sit around for years recording music like they did during the making of Chinese Democracy. 

Edited by kiwiguns

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Perfect Crime yet. It was supposedly written during the AFD era. I'd like to hear Steven on it.

On 2/18/2024 at 7:24 AM, allwaystired said:

Money seems to be the absolute prime motive for GNR to exist now.

... so you're saying if we can crowdfund a big enough bribe, Axl will write new material?