Black Hole Sun

Just now, RONIN said:

There's plenty of grunge fans who feel this way about Guns N' Roses. 

One man's art is another man's trash.

But "music for the incompetent?" That just sounds ignorant to me. The sort of comment that only someone who's never even listened to them would say.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Drunk_on_Drugs said:

Soundgarden were one of the dullest bands I've ever seen. Truly music for the incompetent and deluded

They didn't do much for me either, but clearly they were pretty popular and respected and two weeks after Cornell's death really isn't the time to stress how much you didn't like them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

They didn't do much for me either, but clearly they were pretty popular and respected and two weeks after Cornell's death really isn't the time to stress how much you didn't like them. 

To each their own as far as liking them goes. I'm not gonna pretend i do/did just because he died, and this only escalated because some schmuck wanted to tell me my own opinion

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drunk_on_Drugs said:

Soundgarden were one of the dullest bands I've ever seen. Truly music for the incompetent and deluded

I can understand someone finding music dull, but how can music be for the incompetent and deluded? I like Soundgarden and Chris was one of my favourite singers, however finding something as subjective as music to be dull is always going to happen. I can see why you would think that with some of the more lumbering songs. Just not sure how music can be for incompetent and deluded people. Genuinely interested!

Wait, does Axl hear himself? Didn't Slane prove to him that BHS isn't most fitting song for him. It should've been one off thing, nice gesture and tribute to a friend wtf is this now.

2 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Was there a Cornell/GNR connection? I assumed him and Duff were probably friends, or had that Seattle-respect for each other and this was a Duff thing. Was Axl friends with Cornell too?

yes!

Soundgarden opened for gnr in the UYI Tour for the european run and US and probably elsewhere.

Gnr Recorded big dumb sex from Soundgarden in the spaghetti incident

Axl said Chris Cornell was one of the best rock n roll singers for their generation back in the day

Cornell recorded a song with slash (promise) for his first solo record

They all loved Soundgarden and you already mentioned the duff connection but duff also played with Cornell on the reunited Mad Season last year or the year before that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ifdworld said:

yes!

Soundgarden opened for gnr in the UYI Tour for the european run and US and probably elsewhere.

Gnr Recorded big dumb sex from Soundgarden in the spaghetti incident

Axl said Chris Cornell was one of the best rock n roll singers for their generation back in the day

Cornell recorded a song with slash (promise) for his first solo record

They all loved Soundgarden and you already mentioned the duff connection but duff also played with Cornell on the reunited Mad Season last year or the year before that.

98821229a533f3e18f387ee7f86a3009.jpg

Its a nice gesture and all but Axl just sounds terrible on the higher notes, I'd rather have him covering AC/DC and nailing it than this. I like the song but the less bad performances coming from him the better the gig. 

• 2 weeks later...

According to Billboard, a video of GUNS N' ROSES performing a cover of SOUNDGARDEN's "Black Hole Sun" at the opening show of the Axl Rose-fronted outfit's European tour in Slane, Ireland has landed at the top of the May 2017 edition of Billboard's Top Facebook Live Videos chart.

The chart, whose latest edition recaps April activity, is a monthly look at the widest-reaching and most-reacted-to videos posted by musicians on Facebook Live, as tracked by media analytics company Shareablee. Rankings are determined by a formula that blends reactions, comments, shares and first-seven-days views.

The two-and-a-half-minute tribute to Chris Cornell, which was posted by GN'R on May 27 along with the caption "This one's for you Chris," got 162,000 reactions, according to Shareablee. It was also the most shared (39,000) and most viewed in its first seven days (3.3 million).

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7832755/guns-n-roses-chris-cornell-tribute-top-facebook-live-videos-chart

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1

Chris Cornell was one of the greatest rock vocalist of his generation. After Soundgarden, moved on to Audioslave while all the while working as a solo artist. And a true artist. His Acoustic sets were phenomenal. And continued to be a great singer up until his death.

Back in the day, Axl was a better preformed and singer, IMO. But fast forward to 1995 and beyond, Cornell was a far better singer as far as sounding the same as he always has, and consistency. 

I agree GNR should should stop playing Black Hole sun, I don't care how many views they got on Facebook,Twitter or anything else. If Axl is not going to sing the song with the heart and soul that Chris Cornell did,  he needs to stop it. It sounds like a half hearted just like the majority of the G&R songs.

But again, I'm one who believes Axl is making a choice to sing this way to  save his voice so that he can make it through this monstrous tour. The proof to me is how he's able to hit the vintage Axl Rose sound in the opening to Welcome to the Jungle when he says "do you know where the fuck you are" and then reverts into the sound we now hear. I know people like to revert back to the fact that he sang the 2010 tour fairly consistently, while others would have object to that because there are some poor performances. I also believe he was fairly solid. But as far as I know 2010 wasn't as big as a tour, there weren't as many dates, Slash and Duff weren't there, he wasn't playing in front of up to 90,000 people very often, which of course no one wants to be cancelled because Axl is unable to sing, because he's pushed his vocals too far. That would cause bad press among other things, not to mention the loss of MAJOR revenue.

But just drop BHS, unless it's going to be preformed to really honor Chris as Kevin Martin did singing Say Hello 2 Heaven. Which was also quite more fitting.

Edited by ll_tj1