Blabbermouth: Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal Says Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy' Album Is A 'Masterpiece'

now that bumblehead revealed that axl solo album is a masterpiece i am gonna listen to it again

looking back, i surely must have missed something on the 180 previous times that i tried to listen to that album and was forced by something to stop midway!

i was completely unable to enjoy it!

but now that bucketfoot says that there are zillion layers on it (wow, never noticed it!) and a billion people playing on it (really?!) i am pretty sure that the songs will be much better!

• Haha 2

His passive aggressiveness was making me sick while he was in the band. Say what you want about DJ, but at least he loved those songs while he was playing them, contrary to Ron. I saw them twice live, and easily you could tell by the body language and facial expressions who was a poser that nevertheless loved the band(yeah, it s not a simple onedimensional impression about a person) and who was technicaly really good guitarist but with some serious issues at first with himself and then with the whole band.

• Like 1

The main reason ''there's so many people'' is not down to some preconceived deliberate artistic policy, but that Rose would find himself wanting to include the parts of subsequent replacing members of his 'Nugnr' bands during that album's long gestation, whether as a policy of representative modernity/group solidarity, or as some sort of grudge against departed members whose parts were being removed to make room for the interlopers': thus Frank found himself replacing (some of) Brain's drum tracks, Brain who earlier had replaced the entirety of Freese's, and Bumblefoot found himself replacing (some of) Buckethead's solos; Fortus also seems to have gotten parts on there (at whose expense?) while Tobias simply dropped-off as a touring member, leaving his parts behind.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • GNFNR 1

55 minutes ago, Slaveleft said:

His passive aggressiveness was making me sick while he was in the band. Say what you want about DJ, but at least he loved those songs while he was playing them, contrary to Ron. I saw them twice live, and easily you could tell by the body language and facial expressions who was a poser that nevertheless loved the band(yeah, it s not a simple onedimensional impression about a person) and who was technicaly really good guitarist but with some serious issues at first with himself and then with the whole band.

Bumblefoot loved the band, and really enjoyed playing the music for the fans. DJ loved the fame that playing in GNR allowed him, he used it solely as a platform to raise his profile, he was not backstage saying "can we play some new songs, can we release a new song at the start of each leg". 

Now I'm not saying that Bumblefoot was in GNR out of the goodness of his heart, but I think you can see what I'm getting at.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Bumblefoot loved the band, and really enjoyed playing the music for the fans. DJ loved the fame that playing in GNR allowed him, he used it solely as a platform to raise his profile, he was not backstage saying "can we play some new songs, can we release a new song at the start of each leg". 

Now I'm not saying that Bumblefoot was in GNR out of the goodness of his heart, but I think you can see what I'm getting at.

Could be like that, maybe you are right. But my impression was different. There is something fishy, creepy about that Bumble guy.

Just now, Slaveleft said:

Could be like that, maybe you are right. But my impression was different. There is something fishy, creepy about that Bumble guy.

Never got that vibe from Bumblefoot, I've talked with him a good few times and he was always super nice and the exact opposite of what you're describing. 

There were a couple of months during his tenure that he was not pleased with the band and how things were being run and he vented online, that wasn't the best choice. Having said that, it was honest and in my opinion everything he said was fair, like, when you're in a band you should release music, the management should inform you about upcoming plans, and when you've been in sever car crash and need time to recuperate you shouldn't be forced into a position of having to go on the road in spite of your health and well-being.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Slaveleft said:

Aw...that's a bit harsh, poor Bumblefoot!  If you think he's fishy and creepy what do you make of Robin? Buckethead?  :lol: All the NuGuns guys were a bit odd to say the least. I mean, Brain describes the first time he saw Robin as something along the lines of, this crazy looking dude with half his head shaved and wearing a dress, or something like that.  They were all a bit bonkers in their own way, and that seemed to be what Axl was going for, according to Brain.  Bonkers band.  Bonkers album.  Probably why I love it.

I guess theres a distinction to draw between masterpiece and master work?  One can have multiple masterpieces?  Guns master work would of course be any release up to 91.

I sure think CD's a masterpiece even while not digging two tracks.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

That being said I guess I am a proud  "Slashite" as I love Slash's solo work and also like Duff and Izzy's and prefer them to ChiDem.....

I like some of the solo albums from Slash and Loaded was a great band, but I prefer CD 

• Like 2

I don't listen to GNR if I want to hear interesting music, a band who got famous for their songs about drinking, banging chicks and teary ballads such as Nightrain, Rocket Queen or November Rain. Shacklers in comparison is a straight turd. You couldn't possibly remove yourself farther from your iconic sound, which is why this will always be an Axl solo album which had the name GNR forced upon it.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

i wouldnt say its a masterpiece by any stretch. it had the potential to be though... there are a few songs which are very underrated... if they played them properly at shows the general public might warm up to them but they havnt been playing them the right way imo, especially axls vocals on those songs... most of that stuff is tougher than a lot of illusions stuff so i dont get why they attempt certain CD tracks and dont tackle some of the easier illusions material... but one thing i do know for sure is that CD is the best material bumblefoot will have ever performed live so i guess i understand the comment he made :lol:

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Ah, the reunion brought the Slashites back in full force. Such a pleasant place this turned into. Where interesting music like Catcher in the Rye, Shackler's Revenge and Madagascar are mocked, and people actually want new GNR songs in the same vein as the atrocious shit Slash and Duff have written in the past decade.

Quite.

I think their bumholes are still sore from the last run of shows with masses of Chinese deep cuts that had the poor dears running for their safe space XD