Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

On 6/25/2018 at 9:33 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

It's sort of odd to call GNR an artistic band, because even though all the members are artists in some way, 'GNR' became a touring collection of performers some time ago. Slash has his album and tour, Duff has like 3 other bands and Axl has AC/DC. But GNR is the dancing monkey that fills their bank accounts more of a brand than a band at this point, isn't it? I mean at least other 'legendary bands' like Aerosmith, Metallica, AC/DC, Sabbath, Bon Jovi, RHCP all released albums in the last few years, even the Stones released a covers album which is better than nothing. GNR release t-shirts and old songs.

This tour is still going. Hopefully it'll work like Kiss' reunion tour and a new album will come out after the tour is finally done...and hopefully it'll be much better than what Kiss put out. This version of the band is still only a few years old. Let's wait and see what happens once the tour is done. AC/DC averaged 6 years between new albums and Metallica took 8 years between their latest albums. Aerosmith has released 2 albums in the last 14 years, and one was a covers album. The Chili Peppers release new music every 5 years. Bon Jovi releases things more frequently but every one of the bands you listed are every bit of a brand as they are a band. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

This tour is still going. Hopefully it'll work like Kiss' reunion tour and a new album will come out after the tour is finally done...and hopefully it'll be much better than what Kiss put out. This version of the band is still only a few years old. Let's wait and see what happens once the tour is done. AC/DC averaged 6 years between new albums and Metallica took 8 years between their latest albums. Aerosmith has released 2 albums in the last 14 years, and one was a covers album. The Chili Peppers release new music every 5 years. Bon Jovi releases things more frequently but every one of the bands you listed are every bit of a brand as they are a band. 

lol most of the songs on that Kiss album didn't even have all the members

Edited by ApacheChief42
spelling

7 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

How's Motley Crue for an example? Reunion announced in 2004, 'best of' with a few new songs in 2005, live cd/dvd in 2006. New album a couple years after that. The bands I mentioned still release music at least, which was the point I was trying to make, and over the last decade or two they haven't had nearly the media hype that GNR had in 2016 (aka opportunity for higher sales). The fact that "they've only been together a few years" doesn't help! If Axl indeed played songs for Slash and Duff that they liked, plus the fact they haven't even released at least a single, just lends to the idea that it's a retirement-fund tour. (Shadow of Your Love doesn't count as a 'new single', sorry Fernando).

• GNFNR 1

22 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Go to a cd store.  Tons of bands have sets like this out today.  Since the label isn't making money on 15 dollar CD sales anymore they have to make it somehow.  Box sets like this sell.

But with this extreme price tag??

the most I’ve ever paid for a box set was for Alice Cooper Old School in 2011.  Limited to 3,000 copies. $225. Came in a huge school desk (no faux leather book) 4 cds, a book, a 12” live album, a 7” single, tour book reproductions, and some more cool stuff...and 10 packages contained golden tickets for VIP experiences.  Charging $1000 is fucking insane for what you’re getting.  (It wouldn’t be as bad if the last album of new material came out in 2008, 27 years after the last album of original material)

• GNFNR 2

44 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

If ANYTHING people should support this because the more money the label makes the more money they will be willing to give Guns to record a new album.

Music is still a business when it comes to record labels. 🙄

My guess is that the lack of new songs has little or nothing to do with money. (In fact there have been dozens of finished new songs in the vault for ages). Plus GnR is wealthy and powerful enough to produce and publish as much as they please.

Edited by uruguns

26 minutes ago, Evan442 said:

But with this extreme price tag??

the most I’ve ever paid for a box set was for Alice Cooper Old School in 2011.  Limited to 3,000 copies. $225. Came in a huge school desk (no faux leather book) 4 cds, a book, a 12” live album, a 7” single, tour book reproductions, and some more cool stuff...and 10 packages contained golden tickets for VIP experiences.  Charging $1000 is fucking insane for what you’re getting.  (It wouldn’t be as bad if the last album of new material came out in 2008, 27 years after the last album of original material)

https://thebeatlesstore.com/products/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-6-disc-super-deluxe

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-joshua-tree-30th-anniversary-cd/32754673.p?skuId=32754673&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjtLZBRDLARIsAKT6fXxaK8aQJMYvT14t4y-YPNyFmaeWMhJF3kcsAEOGSHvoRlPTj3smIygaAlqaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Exile-Main-Street-Super-Deluxe/dp/B0039ZF89G&ved=2ahUKEwi03YDn5_XbAhXCrFMKHbPVBJoQFjAEegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0tyE8vElVOaleMmYaOJRfG

2011 was a long time ago man.  This is becoming more and more common.  

Super Deluxe box sets are on the rise.

Edited by Bitchisback
Typo

6 hours ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

Don’t order from the GNR store, in the past they’ve been unreliable, and super deluxe is way cheaper on amazon

The GNR store is the only place you can get the big box, or at least I think it is. I couldn’t find any discount codes that would work so against my better judgement I went ahead and ordered it. I figure I’ll be like Vinny Paul and write into my will that AFD gets played in its entirety at my funeral. I’ll also ask that the box be displayed. That way people will at least get a good laugh and realize what a moron I was! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

Don’t order from the GNR store, in the past they’ve been unreliable, and super deluxe is way cheaper on amazon

HMV in the UK is way cheaper than Amazon (for the super deluxe version) 

Still way too expensive for me...but for those who are interested! 

Edited by allwaystired

2 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

The GNR store is the only place you can get the big box, or at least I think it is. I couldn’t find any discount codes that would work so against my better judgement I went ahead and ordered it. I figure I’ll be like Vinny Paul and write into my will that AFD gets played in its entirety at my funeral. I’ll also ask that the box be displayed. That way people will at least get a good laugh and realize what a moron I was! 

SELL ME THE RINGS!!! But congrats!

7 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

And again, one of those come close to the Locked N' Loaded price tag. Very few people here will argue that the Super Deluxe Edition is an obscene price, but Locked N' Loaded is something else entirely, especially considering how relatively little you get on top of what comes with the Super Deluxe Edition. 

• Like 2

New Work Tune is pretty boring :/ Repeats the same riff for about 3 minutes.

The Plague is naff but at least it has vocals.

Acoustic demo of You're Crazy is cool.

Love having that November Rain demo in clear(er) quality now, probably highlight of the set.

The Nightrain Sound City demo is the same one that was on YouTube (slower tempo than album cut), clearer quality.

Fantastic to have the Jumpin' Jack Flash and Heartbreak Hotel demos in much clearer quality than the demos that made the rounds on YouTube etc.

I can't comment on the sound quality of Appetite itself compared to the original release as I don't really have the ear for it and I'm listening with AirPods on Spotify Free.

Wish they'd kept Axl's intro on Whole Lotta Rosie at the Marquee but still nice to have the song on the set.

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

39 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

And again, one of those come close to the Locked N' Loaded price tag. Very few people here will argue that the Super Deluxe Edition is an obscene price, but Locked N' Loaded is something else entirely, especially considering how relatively little you get on top of what comes with the Super Deluxe Edition. 

I'm not denying that.  But yes there have been tons of people complaining about the super deluxe saying "only the" etc.

36 minutes ago, Amir said:

New Work Tune is pretty boring :/ Repeats the same riff for about 3 minutes.

The Plague is naff but at least it has vocals.

Acoustic demo of You're Crazy is cool.

Love having that November Rain demo in clear(er) quality now, probably highlight of the set.

The Nightrain Sound City demo is the same one that was on YouTube (slower tempo than album cut), clearer quality.

Fantastic to have the Jumpin' Jack Flash and Heartbreak Hotel demos in much clearer quality than the demos that made the rounds on YouTube etc.

I can't comment on the sound quality of Appetite itself compared to the original release as I don't really have the ear for it and I'm listening with AirPods on Spotify Free.

Wish they'd kept Axl's intro on Whole Lotta Rosie at the Marquee but still nice to have the song on the set.

Its out in Spotify? Not yet in my country.