Jump to content
Live Like a Suicide

ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Recommended Posts

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but is it just me or does the song (sounding as though it's just repeating the first part over and over)...

Well, it almost sounds like it gets worse as it goes along, like the instrumentation goes from good, starts out strong with the guitars/vocals and then almost devolves, sounds more "poppy" (in a bad, Third Eye Blind, kinda way) and more empty as it goes along... I don't know. Just something about it is a little off for me. I'd love to love it. Unfortunately, I just kind of like it. Almost.  :/

First impressions: Naturally, not much of anything can live up to so much hype but it does, sadly sound very average and underwhelming. And I really hate saying that. The solo isn't nearly as good as Catcher. Nor is the song itself. Just another stupid opinion, I know. 

Edited by Estrangedfx
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Creed said:

come on...this can be played live. but without a chorus its not a hit. and the end of this song is pointless.

It can't be played live as recorded. It would need alterations the same way Catcher, Shackler's, and Prostitute needed changes to be played live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, arthurmbg said:

Dindn't quite get it, but now unirocanally I want it 

we don't know what slash took from these sessions to his solo stuff. 'beautiful dangerous' sound like a NuGuns song at some parts. The intro f.ex. is very NIN like. Maybe thats why Fergie is on Axls list ;)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

Not bad for a demo could be a bit heavy but add a bit of :slash: and it could be killer. Stay tuned 😁

When you say ‘stay tuned’ does that mean you have heard legitimate info that Slash DID/HAS added a solo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

When you say ‘stay tuned’ does that mean you have heard legitimate info that Slash DID/HAS added a solo?

No. It was just a rumor going around that it was going to be the single. No idea how true that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

No. It was just a rumor going around that it was going to be the single. No idea how true that is.

I really can't see this being a full-fledged single unless it has been reworked into something like Estranged, with multiple solos and verses. But that would require a comprehensive reconstruction, so who knows. It would be cool to hear Slash and Duff on it though.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like this is the worst version of the song that could have been leaked, a way-early demo that has the least amount of value to a leaker.  99% sure there's a more finished mix sitting on someone's hard drive.

This slow trickle of tracks is killing me, I want it all.  :lol:  Maybe this will put some pressure on the band to release some new music officially.

Edited by Gackt
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Estrangedfx said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but is it just me or does the song (sounding as though it's just repeating the first part over and over)...

Well, it almost sounds like it gets worse as it goes along, like the instrumentation goes from good, starts out strong with the guitars/vocals and then almost devolves, sounds more "poppy" (in a bad, Third Eye Blind, kinda way) and more empty as it goes along... I don't know. Just something about it is a little off for me. I'd love to love it. Unfortunately, I just kind of like it. Almost.  :/

First impressions: Naturally, not much of anything can live up to so much hype but it does, sadly sound very average and underwhelming. And I really hate saying that. The solo isn't nearly as good as Catcher. Nor is the song itself. Just another stupid opinion, I know. 

I agree, to an extent. I like it, but I don't love it. It's a bit of an odd mix, vocals kind of buried but then, it's just a demo. I think it's got the potential to turn into something great. Not as great as Catcher, though. I don't see that happening. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way should Atlas have replaced Scraped or Riad.

There's too many midtempo ballads on Chinese as it is. I would gladly substitute If The World for Hard School though.

But both Scraped and Riad are far more interesting songs to me than Atlas.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

While i agree that Riad/Scraped/Shackler's provide a unique element to CD, Atlas and Hardschool sound more inline with the ballads and rockers of the album. Atlas would fit nicely with SOD, CITR and Prostitute while Hardschool would fit nicely with IRS, Better and Chinese Democracy.

Don't make me say it...

Greta Van Fleet! :P

Only joking, they're not that great. 

Alice in Chains put out some great stuff recently.

 

Greta van Fleet is a joke and AIC was formed in 1987, wtf!? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, El Guapo said:

Greta van Fleet is a joke and AIC was formed in 1987, wtf!? :D

GVF sucks. But a lot of people overlook AIC with William DuVall as lead singer. Rainier Fog is a fantastic album and it's a shame GVF beat them at last year's awards for best rock album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just here for the posts analyzing who this song is about. But it’s definitely about Gilby

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've posted this previously but I was told years ago that the lyrics are about the first time Robin left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigal said:

I’m just here for the posts analyzing who this song is about. But it’s definitely about Gilby

It's a rule that every Axl song since 1997 is about Slash.

Only exception is Rock the Rock, which is about an asteroid.  :axl:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously not a final mix. I’d be interested to see if a good one takes it to another level. There’s a lot to play in there dynamically to make certain parts stand out. 

It actually fits nicely between There Was A Time and Catcher on my 99/00 playlist.  

Edited by guitarpatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gackt said:

It's a rule that every Axl song since 1997 is about Slash.

Only exception is Rock the Rock, which is about an asteroid.  :axl:

The asteroid is an obvious metaphor for Slash, except the last "(Rock the rock) Rock the Rock" line, which is probably aimed at Seymour.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

What do you mean it's not? It's always been the most hyped song of CD2. Already before we knew we had heard any parts of it. It's considered one of the A-listed songs, it's one of Sebastian Bach's favorites and he called it the heaviest metal tune that Axl has done, Dizzy has hyped it, etc... If there's a Holy Grain of CD2 songs, I think most people would agree that it's The General. Already before CD1 had been released, there were two songs that competed of the holy grail spot, one was Prostitute and the other one was The General. Marco Beltrami preferred Seven over The General though. :shrugs:

No it was The General that Baz said the highest, hardest, piercing screaming vocals Axl has ever done. Makes sense : child abuse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I really can't see this being a full-fledged single unless it has been reworked into something like Estranged, with multiple solos and verses. But that would require a comprehensive reconstruction, so who knows. It would be cool to hear Slash and Duff on it though.

Well, they only had like... years and years to rework it lol.

Seriously... if any of these songs will be released in the future, they will probably sound very different. Or they will not be released at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Slave to the Dave said:

Sounds very much like Jeff Buckley to me......not a huge fan of Axl's voice on this one though, I prefer when he projects and has a more resonant warm tone

Perhaps the guitar tone and such sound like something off Buckleys "Grace", but... I love both GNR and Jeff Buckley but this song is by no means as good as anything off "Grace" . At least not this version of Atlas. A more properly mixed Atlas, reworked a bit, however, yes..  Could be wonderful. But to me, Catcher in the Rye is much, much better of a song overall. 

Edited by Estrangedfx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, axlfans said:

did somebody say who does the solos on atlas? is it all brian may? 

Robin + May

Song sounds like it belongs in the late-90's era of recordings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×