10/04/19 - Austin, TX - Austin City Limits

alfierose

6 hours ago, Corben01 said:

Anyone knows if Sirius have stream the show ? Anyone record it ?

No stream. Bloody irritating - the best form the band has been in for years and yet not a single stream so far. Yet we get specific shows like the Apollo which are not great at all.

Surely there has to be one lined up shortly??

3 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I don't think it really hits the bar that 2016 set, but it's certainly better than 2017 or 2018.

I agree, I liked what I saw in 2017 but it just didn’t seem as exciting.

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

2016 North American Leg the best by far. 

I saw the Nashville show and it was really, really good. They also brought out Adler, which to me was very cool. IMO 2016 shows just seemed more energetic and exciting.

10 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

I really don’t get all this “axl is sounding good”. Yeah, he had a better start this time than 2017 or 2018, but he is sounding the same from the last couple years. 

Some rasp on ycbm or scom wouldn’t hurt. 

I think there's been a massive improvement vocally. Maybe not in terms of raspiness, but SCOM, YCBM, RQ and NR were all practically unlistenable at a lot of the 17/18 shows. He has obviously worked a lot in the interim on bringing them back up to a decent level. 

Back in 2018, he was even struggling on some of the easy, lower register songs like Chinese Democracy.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

I am positive in my review. I went. I finally saw a show close to home. I thought it was loud and fun and exciting.  I liked everything. It was new to me.  It was a trip down memory lane in the setlist for me , but I only know the hits. It was fun for personal reasons though. I got to catch up with family. We enjoyed the ride. This was ACL so that was exciting to me. We had to drive back to Round Rock and  so we left a little early. 

Edited by Amaya
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gibbo said:

2016 North American Leg the best by far. 

I attended once in 2016 and twice in 2017 (all 3 in toronto). 2016 was definitely the most energized but I'm not a fan of stadium concerts (skydome sucks balls) so I enjoyed both 2017 shows more than the 2016.

Also attended 2002, 2010 (both toronto), and then once in Vegas during No Trickery. Good times all around!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rockphantom said:

I'm curious. Did GNR perform on the stage in front of the Austin skyline facing east or did they perform on the stage facing north? After seeing the massive crowd, I think I'll leave my audio taping gear at home and just enjoy the show.

Main stage at the end of the park that seems to be facing west as it parallels Barton Springs Road

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rockphantom said:

So no COMA this time? I am having second thoughts regarding attending next Friday's Austin gig. 
It appears the low 1 day ticket price ($120) is justified by the curfew that forces the band off stage by 10pm.

When I last saw GNR in Austin, on February 23, 1993, the band didn't go on until 10:10PM!! How times have changed!!

Of course, the 1993 lineup of GNR could run circles around the NITL band....

Don’t have any 2nd thoughts at all. Taking out all the jams streamlined the show and kept the energy high. The crowd doesn’t even know how to truly rock so everybody gave everybody enough space. It was hot as fuck, but can’t control that. Where the band was concerned, for their age and what we know they’re capable of, they were a 9 out of 10.

Edited by parisrocks
Spelling
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Then Better comes on and killed some of the vibe they had built up. LALD got em back but Coma got people out of it again. Axl mixed up his vocals at the end of Coma it was interesting but sounded good. 
That ending stretch from SCOM-Paradise City was brilliant. The crowd loved the hits coming right after each other, beautiful ending but no confetti haha (Nightrain vocally was incredible!)

This is exactly why people can sit here and bitch about set lists, but the fans there live by and large want to hear banger after banger, hit after hit. They don't want deep cuts, they don't want Chinese Democracy, and they don't want new songs. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

This is exactly why people can sit here and bitch about set lists, but the fans there live by and large want to hear banger after banger, hit after hit. They don't want deep cuts, they don't want Chinese Democracy, and they don't want new songs. 

There's room for all of the above if done right.