04/20/16 - Mexico City - Foro Sol

downzy

1 minute ago, cspalding22 said:

I don't disagree with anything you stated above. Not sure why Patience isn't a staple.

guys its fine, obviously axl is choosing what songs he can manage, patience outro is fucking hard on the throat along with COMA, Civil War two nights in a row - no chance I'd rather conserve quality and get a couple other changes in the setlist

1 hour ago, hypird said:

Twat

That was a great performance. Axl had lots of rasp on it. 

Slash must have really liked all the leads and harmonies to stay pretty faithful to the original way it was done. he threw his own licks into it here and there, but otherwise Its mostly the same as the record. He killed it IMO.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Homefuck said:

I like Fortus as well. With this said, I think his influence on Slash's playing is both good and bad:
Good, because Fortus proficency makes Slash "up" his game.
Bad, because (from the videos I've seen) it seems that Slash does a lot more fast pentatonic runs than before, this instead of holding the notes (and bending them in the perfect Slash-manner), and it may be to flash because now there's another really technically skilled guitar player in the band.

I may be wrong about this.

Yes, you're wrong.  Slash's been playing like that since at least 2009.  "Nothing To Say" from his Slash record is full of those "fast pentatonic runs" you mention.

Slash has nothing to prove to anyone.  Fortus is a rhythm guitarist with a couple of solos in a song or two.  Nothing more.

If anything, Fortus should be the one trying to impress Slash.  But these are grown men, who just happen to work together in the same band.  They're not going to behave like little kids.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, NEU-YORK said:

Slash needs to practice that TWAT solo!! Just imagine the abuse Dj would have got for that and I don't mean the dodgy note at the start. I'm sure he can do much better though.

Obviously. Great to see him do it all the same! 

He struggled on the first instrumental but he dominated the outro bucketed solo at the end.

I love seeing them changing up the setlist.  There was a time was great, that's a tough one and Axl nailed that.  I probably am not the only one surprised that this much CD material is being played by Slash.  They really must be getting a long for that to happen in my opinion.  

It's just a few shows into the tour, jesus! He rocked the shit out of the solo on Chinese Democracy, parts of This I Love sounds great, parts of the solo in Better, and he's still not very familiar with the chord progressions of the solos to improvise comfortably on top. He's getting there, but he just needs to play the tunes more. Too early to judge his ability to put his own spin on the chinese stuff imo.

Edited by Rovim

6 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

He's lucky we never saw Buckethead performing TWAT and Robin for This I Love.

People just expect way too much, it's unrealistic to expect he'll flawlessly compose his way of playing the solos while improvising live after less than 10 shows lol. I believe of course he can do it, but takes time to really nail it with perfect structure, note choices, and timing.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, NicDwolfwood said:

That was a great performance. Axl had lots of rasp on it. 

Slash must have really liked all the leads and harmonies to stay pretty faithful to the original way it was done. he threw his own licks into it here and there, but otherwise Its mostly the same as the record. He killed it IMO.

This might be rough but IMO Bucketheads the only guy worthwhile to consider keeping faithful to for the CD solos......I'm glad Slash pretty much did his own thing for the others he took them to a whole new level.

16 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It's just a few shows into the tour, jesus! He rocked the shit out of the solo on Chinese Democracy

The first night solo is INSANE

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

People just expect way too much, it's unrealistic to expect he'll compose his way of playing the solos while improvising live after less than 10 shows lol. I believe of course he can do it, but takes time to really nail it with perfect structure, note choices, and timing.

It's all right by now. Of all the performances by guns n roses he already outshines robin, bumble and dj. The band looks fuller with his stage presence and his big fat great tone.

3 hours ago, hypird said:

Twat

Yes! Only sheesh Axl, take it easy around 4:10 mark! That can't be good for your voice. It got strained to death there! I mean his voice literally died out. Like his larynx was saying "nope".

I wish Slash would play the ChiDem songs closer to how they are on the record. I get that he wants to put his take on them, but some really talented people did those solos originally, and he should respect them. Since his aren't really that special there.

12 hours ago, Homefuck said:

I like Fortus as well. With this said, I think his influence on Slash's playing is both good and bad:
Good, because Fortus proficency makes Slash "up" his game.
Bad, because (from the videos I've seen) it seems that Slash does a lot more fast pentatonic runs than before, this instead of holding the notes (and bending them in the perfect Slash-manner), and it may be to flash because now there's another really technically skilled guitar player in the band.

I may be wrong about this.

Slash NEVER has to prove anything to any other GNR guitarist after this monstrosity ;)

Its sad but bedroom players could have done a better job than all three guys here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgKnqlPqDqs

But all things considered, if I want to see a good performance of chinese tracks, i would probably search for one chi dem eras.

By the end of the year and next year, hope they will replace them with new materials. Don't really see the point of seeing slash playing all the cd songs. Four CD staple is fine. 

2 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

But all things considered, if I want to see a good performance of chinese tracks, i would probably search for one chi dem eras.

By the end of the year and next year, hope they will replace them with new materials. Don't really see the point of seeing slash playing all the cd songs. Four CD staple is fine. 

All I want to hear him play is TIL and TWAT. Especially TWAT. I can see why they'd want to play Better from ChiDem but I never thought they'd keep playing the title track, bizarre choice...