THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

40 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Four points from our final four games and that's being optimistic.

Toon will finish 17th. Literally the minimum possible effort to stay up, again. I remember when I was at Uni 37% was the pass mark for year 1 and you didn't get extra credit for high marks as your overall results reset in year 2 (year 2 onwards actually counted towards the degree, year 1 didn't) so me and my mates used to joke that we should aim to get 37-40% and no more, as that was a pass. Anything higher was still a "pass" but you didnt get any extra credit for high scores so it was a waste of good drinking time over-revising. Of course we were joking, but that's literally the NUFC / Sports Direct Utd philosophy under Mike - aim for 37%.

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Toon will finish 17th. Literally the minimum possible effort to stay up, again. I remember when I was at Uni 37% was the pass mark for year 1 and you didn't get extra credit for high marks as your overall results reset in year 2 (year 2 onwards actually counted towards the degree, year 1 didn't) so me and my mates used to joke that we should aim to get 37-40% and no more, as that was a pass. Anything higher was still a "pass" but you didnt get any extra credit for high scores so it was a waste of good drinking time over-revising. Of course we were joking, but that's literally the NUFC / Sports Direct Utd philosophy under Mike - aim for 37%.

What would you like to happen & what do you think will happen to Bruce should we stay up?

3 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

What would you like to happen & what do you think will happen to Bruce should we stay up?

Can you see any other prem club employing Bruce?

Equally can you see any other prem manager joining NUFC in the current set up?

We have the worst manager (statistically) and the worst owner. No other reputable manager will want the job after the way Rafa was handled, so no point removing Bruce without new owners.

That's the main issue. Without new owners I don't see any solution other than Bruce continuing another year and probably another 15th-17th position finish next year / mediocre season. The only exception/ unknown is fans returning, as I think St James Park could get hostile if we have another season of dross. Man U fans have set a precedent for others to follow.

What really winds me up is - why wasnt Rafa given a net spend to invest in players? Rafa has to break even, but Bruce can spend £100m? It makes no sense. The club is rotten top to bottom.

21 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Can you see any other prem club employing Bruce?

Equally can you see any other prem manager joining NUFC in the current set up?

We have the worst manager (statistically) and the worst owner. No other reputable manager will want the job after the way Rafa was handled, so no point removing Bruce without new owners.

That's the main issue. Without new owners I don't see any solution other than Bruce continuing another year and probably another 15th-17th position finish next year / mediocre season. The only exception/ unknown is fans returning, as I think St James Park could get hostile if we have another season of dross. Man U fans have set a precedent for others to follow.

What really winds me up is - why wasnt Rafa given a net spend to invest in players? Rafa has to break even, but Bruce can spend £100m? It makes no sense. The club is rotten top to bottom.

Palace perhaps.

Dyche comes to mind but haven't Burnley just had a takeover?

If the world hadn't been on fire and fans were allowed in I imagine fans would have helped in having Bruce sacked after our defeats to Brentford and Sheffield United.

I read today that 10K fans will be allowed at St James' for our final home game. The atmosphere will be interesting.

A few players are out of contract at the end of the season. I don't know who would want to replace them.

Fever dream; resign Armstrong and Toney and build them up to become the second coming of Ferdinand & Shearer.

That upcoming Alex Ferguson movie is a tremendous watch. Highly recommend - it's out there currently for those who don't want to wait two weeks.

I was surprised to know that Jim Leighton hasn't spoken to him since leaving United after being dropped for a number of calamities. Ferguson at one point branded him the best in Britain while at Aberdeen, but he was Roy Carroll before Roy Carroll at United.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dean said:

That upcoming Alex Ferguson movie is a tremendous watch. Highly recommend - it's out there currently for those who don't want to wait two weeks.

I was surprised to know that Jim Leighton hasn't spoken to him since leaving United after being dropped for a number of calamities. Ferguson at one point branded him the best in Britain while at Aberdeen, but he was Roy Carroll before Roy Carroll at United.

Just saw the trailer. Looks good

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, moreblack said:

OK just watched it, it was good. A lot of alternate angles to goals that I've internalized in my memory.

Surprised they didn't talk of his time at the 1986 World Cup.

I was expecting him to go at length on Big Jock and the influence he had on him, both as a man and coach, but I suppose he's been pretty vocal on that through the years. The Rangers fiasco has obviously been well documented too, but should act as a reminder to those unfamiliar with society in Scotland that the superiority complex among a sizable portion of Protestant Rangers supporters is still the same as it was back then, regardless of how many Catholics turn out for the tribute act these days.  That experience was a big part of his makeup to spur him onto the success he would later achieve.

Brendan Rodgers is a truly fascinating character. I haven't seen anyone who can have the masses, both in media and in the support, eating out the palm of his hand. A gift of the gab that none of his peers have come close to matching. That said, a terrific coach and has had significant impact wherever he has been. As much as he left on a sour note with Celtic, I'm glad to see him do well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dean said:

Brendan Rodgers is a truly fascinating character. I haven't seen anyone who can have the masses, both in media and in the support, eating out the palm of his hand. A gift of the gab that none of his peers have come close to matching. That said, a terrific coach and has had significant impact wherever he has been. As much as he left on a sour note with Celtic, I'm glad to see him do well.

Is it true that when he announced he was leaving Celtic his house got burgled and they nicked all his medals he won for them? 

5 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Is it true that when he announced he was leaving Celtic his house got burgled and they nicked all his medals he won for them? 

Ha, it may have been better if he did announce his departure instead of going out the back door! But aye, bad form that - he jokingly said at one of his early conferences with Leicester that he'd need to win more, so at least he's got one under his belt now. Rat bastard, but one of the best at what he does.

Some commotion in Glasgow yesterday. For those that haven't seen:

It's the Ali shuffle from the cunt in the foreground 

Edited by Dean

On 5/16/2021 at 9:38 PM, Dean said:

Ha, it may have been better if he did announce his departure instead of going out the back door! But aye, bad form that - he jokingly said at one of his early conferences with Leicester that he'd need to win more, so at least he's got one under his belt now. Rat bastard, but one of the best at what he does.

Some commotion in Glasgow yesterday. For those that haven't seen:

It's the Ali shuffle from the cunt in the foreground 

You could at least have posted this one :P .

Killie gone from the Scottish Premiership. 

Not overly bothered about the whole plastic pitch gimmick but it's a shite away day.

Dundee back up is good as we always take a good crowd through there and vice versa. Plenty of decent boozers there too.

12 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

Killie gone from the Scottish Premiership. 

Not overly bothered about the whole plastic pitch gimmick but it's a shite away day.

Dundee back up is good as we always take a good crowd through there and vice versa. Plenty of decent boozers there too.

Odds on wee Gowzer ending up in the cells and starting the season with another electronic tag?

I didn't mind Rugby Park for an Away day. I was there for Gorgeous Georgios' debut where he took the ball from our half and waltzed up the park and scored. 

6 hours ago, Dean said:

Odds on wee Gowzer ending up in the cells and starting the season with another electronic tag?

I didn't mind Rugby Park for an Away day. I was there for Gorgeous Georgios' debut where he took the ball from our half and waltzed up the park and scored. 

I am happy that killie went down, the quicker we get rid of these plastic pitches the better.