Slash and Axl Getting on Great and Working on New Stuff (Says "Spy")

I want to believe, I really do. But being honest, there's just as many reasons that nothing new will ever see the light of day as there is of us hearing even one brand new song. 

This conversation has been revolving forever under all sorts of circumstances for years, admittedly some of the factors in the argument look more promising than ever before, but I keep coming back to one factor, and for me personally it tilts the chances of new music to the negative. 

Axls age! He's 55, and not a young 55 in terms of his physical appearance and regardless of how much I love the dude, love the music, loved the gig I went too on this tour, his voice has deteriorated! With his history of time keeping and work output, I just can't see it happening. 

Before I get shot down, I do believe he could do it, and deliver  an album worthy of guns, but to get in and get it done in timely fashion? I have massive reservations about that! 

Would love to be proven wrong but I honestly believe time has beaten all of them on this finally. I just don't see it happening when they can continue doing this or variations of it till they retire. 

• Sad 1

As I said in another thread recently, I don't think Axl has anything left to say as a lyricist. His songs became increasingly dark and introspective. Now he seems to be at a point in his life where he's too happy to go back there but can't write a lyric like I Feel Good for himself. Or another Sweet Child O' Mine or Paradise City for that matter.

Sad though it is, Slash would probably be better off handing his next batch of songs to Myles Kennedy.

It goes further than lyrics too. You used to have to sit through essay-length rants at GNR shows. Now you get a polite 'thanks' between songs. Which is fine, it's good that Axl is at peace, I just don't see how it leads to a new GNR album getting made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stress Fracture said:

Sad though it is, Slash would probably be better off handing his next batch of songs to Myles Kennedy.

Why? Is Myles Kennedy a brilliant lyricist?

I will keep hoping for new music, but not expecting it, so I don't get disappointed. Stories like these keep the hope alive :)

Axl's voice may have deteriorated, but there are songs he's great on, they suit his voice now much better than some of the old songs. I wish they'd make an album with only songs that fit his voice now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

As I said in another thread recently, I don't think Axl has anything left to say as a lyricist. His songs became increasingly dark and introspective.

Some of the problem on that front was Axl seemed to write from his real life. His life is probably relatively fixed now...so it's harder.

I mean....His life in AFD time was autobiographical of his and or friends street life (Nightrain, My Michelle) , then in UYI era some were the same (Back Off Bitch etc) but a lot the songs became more about his struggles with fame (Don't Damn Me, Shot Gun Blues, Get In The Ring, Dead Horse), then on CD a lot of the stuff seems to be about life after UYI (IRS, Sorry, Prostitute etc).

That's why i found catcher and shackler's interesting - they seem to be about external events - at least to an extent - rather than just his own battles.

That said...I'm sure he could comment on all kinds of public affairs lyrically if he got inspired.

Myself I'm finding "the wait" post CD to be worse now than the first wait. Like at least 1997-2008 there was the promise of an album and less reason fear it would never happen (at least at first). There was new music performed live. There were great proshots. There was stuff like the 06 tour that was delivering awesome stuff like epic Axl screams or things like Sailing that were unusual but cool.

But 2008-2017 has been harder imo. There's still stuff to like but the sense that we might get something new has been further away despite what Richard and DJ saif from time to time.

Still...I kinda hope eventually we do get something...we got CD eventually...so fingers crossed for 2019....;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

As I said in another thread recently, I don't think Axl has anything left to say as a lyricist. His songs became increasingly dark and introspective. Now he seems to be at a point in his life where he's too happy to go back there but can't write a lyric like I Feel Good for himself. Or another Sweet Child O' Mine or Paradise City for that matter.

It goes further than lyrics too. You used to have to sit through essay-length rants at GNR shows. Now you get a polite 'thanks' between songs. Which is fine, it's good that Axl is at peace, I just don't see how it leads to a new GNR album getting made.

Axl's strength as a lyricist lay in scene setting (observational) or story telling (colourful characters/cautionary tales - My Michelle is a great example as is TWAT).  He was no poet, but he had his own unique way of conveying his thoughts and feelings on the human condition.

As long as Axl is still an observer of people and their trials and tribulations - and triumphs - he will have something to say.  

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

Studio Axl can’t be beat, vocally speaking. Live is live. Studio’s a lot different and Axl will always be able to do that. I see No reason why they couldn’t punch out one last Awesome GNR album. Should be zero shortage of material stashed away in Axls mysterious vault. And with all of them contributing, a triple GNR album, isn’t really something out of reach for them to do. Especially if they could ever get Izzy in there on it. That would be the ultimate kick-ass thing to happen. Might be a super long shot but, never say never... :headbang:

Edited by Crowebar
Added more “Kick-Ass-ish-Ness” to my post
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crowebar said:

Studio Axl can’t be beat, vocally speaking. Live is live. Studio’s a lot different and Axl will always be able to do that. I see No reason why they couldn’t punch out one last Awesome GNR album. Should be zero shortage of material stashed away in Axls mysterious vault. And with all of them contributing, a triple GNR album, isn’t really something out of reach for them to do. Especially if they could ever get Izzy in there on it. That would be the ultimate kick-ass thing to happen. Might be a super long shot but, never say never... :headbang:

Exactly...Studio Axl can't be beaten.

I would kill to see Axl's studio sessions, really.

10 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

This is a great post with great thoughts and I almost agree with you.

Axl can write from another perspective. Now that he has made peace inside of him and let loose of that big ego, maybe he can write better about the things that go around the world and in everydays personal life. I think there is a lot of furious lyrics to be written.

Most of the Illusion lyrics were about him battleing with all kinds of demons and personal stuff.

• Like 1

The most I'd expect out of the band in terms of music is a live album; if we're talking new music probably an EP, or just a single.  There's a new Avengers film coming, Axl could write up a good banger for that soundtrack like Soundgarden's Live to Rise in the first film.

A whole new album is too ambitious, and too risky.

56 minutes ago, Gackt said:

The most I'd expect out of the band in terms of music is a live album; if we're talking new music probably an EP, or just a single.  There's a new Avengers film coming, Axl could write up a good banger for that soundtrack like Soundgarden's Live to Rise in the first film.

A whole new album is too ambitious, and too risky.

I don't need your infinity war

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

I agree, which is why an AXL/DC is so much more likely to happen. AC/DC songs happen to be the furthest thing lyrically from Chinese Democracy- simple and never about love or feelings, etc. Plus Angus would most likely be writing a lot of the lyrics for the album.

15 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

Well,it's in the New York Times so it's not exactly the greatest source but who would have thought dish nation would break the news of the reunion either?

Page Six is in the NY Post. Not the NY Times. 

I sometimes take the NY Post with a grain of salt due to some of the outrageous articles they have. With that being said, they have been right about some things as well.  They do have credibility with Page Six so I would say that they might be right about what Axl said. 

Edited by Draguns
typo

On 10/17/2017 at 9:02 PM, Tonto said:

Axl Rose and Bill Murray partied in the same place after their Manhattan concerts on Monday.

Rose, 55, was at the new Fifteen Stories rooftop lounge at Mondrian Park Avenue after Guns N’ Roses’ Madison Square Garden show, “surrounded by women,” a spy said. Rose was overheard telling pals that “he and Slash are ‘getting along great’ and having so much fun rocking all of their old stuff and putting together some new stuff,” the spy said. “And that once he and Slash got past ‘stubbornness’ and talked to each other, everything became cool again really quickly, and reuniting was a simple decision after that.”

https://pagesix.com/2017/10/17/axl-rose-parties-after-madison-square-garden-show/

Very unfortunate that it took over 20 yrs for these 2 to talk to each other and work things out. I sometimes wonder what would have happened had Axl allowed Slash into his home when Slash went to visit him years ago. They might have worked things out then and we would have gotten a proper reunion with better Axl vocals. Who knows? We might have gotten Izzy in the reunion as well. Axl was just too stubborn.

They wasted over 2 decades of potentially great tunes over stupid shit. 

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, craiggunslover said:

Yeah but axl/dc is a possibility sadly

I was referring to the assumption that they are getting along and maybe even working on some music. That doesn't seem that far fetched to me. I don't believe that it will see the light of day any time soon, though.

Aside from the devastating decades of waste, My theory is GNR usually takes around 2 years to sort out the business side once they make a firm decision for something to really happen.

Examples:

CD album really should have come out in 2006 with the launch of that tour, but ended up getting done in 2008.

Appetite for democracy filmed in 2012, came out 2014.

Reunion was clearly in the works from 2014, but happened in 2016.

So - if this tour ends late 2017, early 2018 - we can expect the next release (be it an album, or a greatest hits or whatever) around late 2019 or 2020.

The spanner of course is Axl/Dc. Assuming that happens late 2018 or early 2019, then you would assume an 18 month tour would follow, which would push the next GNR cycle back until at least 2022 and that's if they have the desire and don't take a couple of years off in between to consider their options or whatever.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chunder Monkey said:

Aside from the devastating decades of waste, My theory is GNR usually takes around 2 years to sort out the business side once they make a firm decision for something to really happen.

Examples:

CD album really should have come out in 2006 with the launch of that tour, but ended up getting done in 2008.

Appetite for democracy filmed in 2012, came out 2014.

Reunion was clearly in the works from 2014, but happened in 2016.

So - if this tour ends late 2017, early 2018 - we can expect the next release (be it an album, or a greatest hits or whatever) around late 2019 or 2020.

The spanner of course is Axl/Dc. Assuming that happens late 2018 or early 2019, then you would assume an 18 month tour would follow, which would push the next GNR cycle back until at least 2022 and that's if they have the desire and don't take a couple of years off in between to consider their options or whatever.

That's a pretty good theory/predicted timeline.  Angus worries me as a potential obstacle for new GNR music unless Brian comes back.  Does anyone know the status of Brian's position yet?  It all hinges on that really.  

Lol @ people who says Axl has nothing to say anymore, these people probably have no idea on how a creative mind works. 

I work with creativity, Ive released a book, a feel CDs and Im also a illustrator, my mind works creatively 24/7 and I havent been through 1/10 of the stuff these guys have. AXL mustve all sorts of things to say for the rest of his life and future generations. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

That's a pretty good theory/predicted timeline.  Angus worries me as a potential obstacle for new GNR music unless Brian comes back.  Does anyone know the status of Brian's position yet?  It all hinges on that really.  

Nothing hinges on Brian, he's done, he was let go, the band aren't waiting on him.

No technology exists or will exist in time to let him perform live again without losing his hearing, nice PR job that, letting him trial a prototype but that thing isn't usuable. The job is Axl's, Angus doesn't want Brian in the studio and Axl live, he wants Axl. Brian was fired.