This I Love Remix **NO LINKS***

42 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Would be cool but can you extract just the vocal from a single low-res file? And would it need to be stretched/compressed to fit the timing of the album version?

I'm sure someone could do it but it would be a lot of work. I have a feeling some of the audio gurus in the community are already at work on stuff like this. That's just a guess, but I'd be surprised if it's not accurate.

It'd be interesting to find out one day when the vocals were from. When it first came out a lot of people assumed it was ~2010 but in the Axl chats he mentioned:

Rex: Axl, do you think This I Love is still the heaviest thing you've written, or has another song popped up that now holds that title?

Axl: That's still it and ultimately a great healing experience to compose something you have no real idea you're capable of such as the bridge. It's a lot more intricate than I think most realize yet as the guitar and vocals are placed as they should be so dominant. The main string melody in that section I had originally written to a hip-hop loop as well.

Some took that to mean it was recorded around '99 (see this MyGNR discussion earlier here): 

My own thoughts are that I don't think it's 1999, because I get the impression that, despite being conceived in Paris back in 1991/1992, This I Love was not really "attempted" as a recording until after Buckethead's departure as he has no credits on the song (he could have been removed but Axl rarely fully removed anyone from a ChiDem song, apart from Josh Freese on his tracks, Brain on the title track, and Brian May on Catcher). My own guess is it may have been 2005-7. Merck mentioned something about the muse not coming to Axl when they were hoping to release the album by the end of 2006, and we know from the Axl chats that Shackler's Revenge's lyrics are based on the Virginia Tech shootings which didn't happen until April 2007, so Axl was still recording vocals at a late stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amir said:

It'd be interesting to find out one day when the vocals were from. When it first came out a lot of people assumed it was ~2010 but in the Axl chats he mentioned:

Some took that to mean it was recorded around '99 (see this MyGNR discussion earlier here): 

My own thoughts are that I don't think it's 1999, because I get the impression that, despite being conceived in Paris back in 1991/1992, This I Love was not really "attempted" as a recording until after Buckethead's departure as he has no credits on the song (he could have been removed but Axl rarely fully removed anyone from a ChiDem song, apart from Josh Freese on his tracks, Brain on the title track, and Brian May on Catcher). My own guess is it may have been 2005-7. Merck mentioned something about the muse not coming to Axl when they were hoping to release the album by the end of 2006, and we know from the Axl chats that Shackler's Revenge's lyrics are based on the Virginia Tech shootings which didn't happen until April 2007, so Axl was still recording vocals at a late stage.

I recall reading Finck put a solo on TIl in 06. 

I agree Amir his voice reminds me alot of that 2006-2007 period, he has more depth and rasp on his higher notes than usually he did live, but in a studio session, your likely to be able to give it that little bit extra without having to worry about the rest of a concert.

There is a little too much depth to his lower section as well for it to be 99-02 time period as well, so the 06-07 period makes alot of sense...whilst his vocals in 09-10, whilst impressive, were also a little deeper in tone based again than this is.

Edited by koldweather
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wasted said:

I recall reading Finck put a solo on TIl in 06. 

But TIL was also supposed to be included in the soundtrack of that Robin Williams movie (What Dreams May Come) in 1998. An educated guess could be that Buckethead is not on the song because they were working on it before he was in the band and then it was dusted off after he left.

Edited by Twinaleblood

7 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

But TIL was also supposed to be included in the soundtrack of that Robin Williams movie (What Dreams May Come) in 1998. An educated guess could be that Buckethead is not on the song because they were working on it before he was in the band and then it was dusted off after he left.

that could make sense. Buckethead only joined the band in early 2000, left for good in March 2004.

Honestly, this might be my favourite version of the song. I like the album version and instrumental version but my favourite was always the 2010 performances, and what the remix lacks in guitar solos or intricate strings, it makes up for with the vocals. If I had to guess, based purely on live performances, some CD vocals and the Angel Down tracks, I'd say the vocals are from between 2008-2010, probably closer to 2010 if the rumors of a re-release with the remix album were true.

On 6/15/2018 at 4:06 PM, Jordan Rose said:

Would be cool but can you extract just the vocal from a single low-res file? And would it need to be stretched/compressed to fit the timing of the album version?

if we had just the beat of the song instrumental, it would be fairly easy...
It will be impossible to do it decently, otherwise!

9 hours ago, zombux said:

that could make sense. Buckethead only joined the band in early 2000, left for good in March 2004.

And another thing: at some point (maybe in the chats? Not sure) Axl said he wanted to scrap the song and that it was included on the album at the insistence of Robin. So maybe that's why they stopped working on it and then it was dusted off after Buckethead left

On 6/15/2018 at 7:57 AM, Russel Nash said:

@evader please correct this mess, and add the solo!!

As a Bucketheadaholic, it would severely disrupt my chi to work on a Finck solo. On very rare occasions I dabble in Slash stuff, but that's where I draw the line. :lol:

On 6/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, Jordan Rose said:

The vocal can definitely be isolated. All it will take is about one hour of work per one second of audio. It is literally a surgical procedure if you want it done right. And, sorry, I'm not the doctor for this particular job.

15 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

That’s a great point. Whether it had a solo or what kind of form it was in while being considered who knows. 

I saw above that Axl wrote part of it to a hip hop beat. Maybe this remix is connected to that movie version. 

But the way I see it 2002 CD was different in scope/sound than what they started putting together with Costanzo. In 2006 the plan was to make the songs more rock n roll according to Ron. He added rhythmn guitars to everything. That guitar part on Chi dem gave it a much more GNR feel. 

It seemed someone started to see a shape for the record.Big intro, almost a UYI style tracklisting. Going for more of a big rock record feel. With that TIL was probably suggest ed as a classic sounding GNR ballad. Maybe it was just an ace Axl had up his sleeve but it doesn’t seem to have been written in the CD era but it fits in with Chi dem and Better pretty well. With SOD and Sorry you have songs ranging from AFD to UYI covered. Then Shacklers, If the World, Prostitute are pushing the envelope. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

That’s a great point. Whether it had a solo or what kind of form it was in while being considered who knows. 

I saw above that Axl wrote part of it to a hip hop beat. Maybe this remix is connected to that movie version. 

But the way I see it 2002 CD was different in scope/sound than what they started putting together with Costanzo. In 2006 the plan was to make the songs more rock n roll according to Ron. He added rhythmn guitars to everything. That guitar part on Chi dem gave it a much more GNR feel. 

It seemed someone started to see a shape for the record.Big intro, almost a UYI style tracklisting. Going for of a big rock record feel. With that TIL was probably suggest ed as a classic sounding GNR ballad. Maybe it was just an ace Axl had up his sleeve but it doesn’t seem to have been written in the CD era but it fits in with Chi dem and Better pretty well. With SOD and Sorry you have songs ranging from AFD to UYI covered. Then Shacklers, If the World, Prostitute are pushing the envelope. 

Was Atlas not supposed to be there instead of TIL but they couldn't fit both due to time restraints on the cd and went with TIL?

18 hours ago, MrMojo said:

Was Atlas not supposed to be there instead of TIL but they couldn't fit both due to time restraints on the cd and went with TIL?

I'm not sure Atlas was supposed to be in place of TIL. If i remember well, both were supposed to be included in the final tracklist (hence, a 15 track album. Wonder which place would have taken Atlas in the tracklist), then Atlas was removed due to time restraints.

3 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

I'm not sure Atlas was supposed to be in place of TIL. If i remember well, both were supposed to be included in the final tracklist (hence, a 15 track album. Wonder which place would have taken Atlas in the tracklist), then Atlas was removed due to time restraints.

I think you're correct. Bumblefoot didn't hint that Atlas would replace other song.

11 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Yeah you're right couldn't put that into words haha, thank you.

4 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I can't stop listening to this. I am utterly shocked with how much I love it. It is one of my favorite Axl vocals, ever. Its so cool. 

Incorporating parts of Robin's solo throughout this could be cool as fuck

Vocals are out of this world..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I can't stop listening to this. I am utterly shocked with how much I love it. It is one of my favorite Axl vocals, ever. Its so cool. 

Incorporating parts of Robin's solo throughout this could be cool as fuck

Someone 'round here wrote that it was the "ghetto lullaby"

And it hasn't left my mind since.

I'm still wondering if these vocals are from '99 or '10...

I think these vocals were definitely 2008-2010 time... he was probably like “hey brain if you’re doing these remixes I have an idea for TIL.. I originally wrote it on a hip hop beat, so I can record new vocals and bring that idea to life” 

I just couldn’t picture Axl singing this prior to at least 2006 time... IMO these vocals were sung solely for a remix of sorts and not for the true album version. 

The most amazing thing is that these vocals seem to be untouched, the only effect being a slight echo being put in. 

I wonder if Axl pulled this off all in one take... the way he flows through the song it wouldn’t surprise me.. but it would amaze the fuck out of me. 

He could’ve wrote so many Modern rockers with this voice... Such a shame. Imagine perfect crime, out ta get me type songs with these peircing raspy vocals. Unmatched intensity ... untapped potential. 

• Like 1