Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

2 minutes ago, MJRemastered said:

Tge new single reminds me a lot of Shadow of your love, maybe it's just me. But it sounds cool, not a huge fan of Myle's voice but it's pretty catchy and good. 

I just came here to post that the riff sounds SO much like Whole Lotta Rosie to my ears. Just played with a less saturated Slash tone and more like Keith Richards tone in the early aughts.

I can see some Shadow in the some of the chugging chords, especially the chord that and rhythm on the second half of the main riff - whenever its not the the single note part of the riff.

I am going to give a few more listens. I wasn't blow away with either one of these first 2 songs, but after listening to Driving Rain a lot over the few weeks it has grown on me. I actually like it more now. So maybe this will be the same way, although I like this less than I did DR 

• Like 2

Even a lot of short SMKC rock songs in the past were far more interesting than these imo

I'd take You're a Lie, Standing in the Sun, No More Heroes, Halo, Shots Fired, Shadow Life, Automatic Overdrive, Withered Delilah, etc over these two songs. They all are all far more interesting. 

SMKC albums usually have some good rock songs with great Slash riffs and solos (like those above), a few very good songs that are a little something more (Anastasia, Wicked Stone, Unholy, etc), and some filler (One Last Thrill, Iris of the Storm, etc). These both fall in the latter category and are among the more forgettable Slash songs. I'm not exactly getting worried, but it is a little concerning the two lead songs are massive duds for me. I'm a huge Slash and SMKC fan

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Again, the guitar sounds good (i mean, no shit Sherlock...). Again, everything else sounds generic, formulaic and uninspired.

Just what i would expect from SMKC. 

I don't even the guitar sounds any special on this new song. His tone isn't even that great and the parts are meh

• Like 1

Sounds to me like many of the former Slash project songs....it is decent - listenable but quite generic - rock music. Somehow it is just not catchy / memorable for me.

In regards of a future Guns album, they would need some catchy songs. Perhaps they will never recreate AFD class kind of songs, but if they were to combine some faster Slash songs - maybe with the help of a good producer who can help make the songs more memorable - and some epic CD style songs, maybe brought a little bit more down to earth by Slash and Duff....that would be quite a decent album....

21 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Even a lot of short SMKC rock songs in the past were far more interesting than these imo

I'd take You're a Lie, Standing in the Sun, No More Heroes, Halo, Shots Fired, Shadow Life, Automatic Overdrive, Withered Delilah, etc over these two songs. They all are all far more interesting. 

SMKC albums usually have some good rock songs with great Slash riffs and solos (like those above), a few very good songs that are a little something more (Anastasia, Wicked Stone, Unholy, etc), and some filler (One Last Thrill, Iris of the Storm, etc). These both fall in the latter category and are among the more forgettable Slash songs. I'm not exactly getting worried, but it is a little concerning the two lead songs are massive duds for me. I'm a huge Slash and SMKC fan

I don't even the guitar sounds any special on this new song. His tone isn't even that great and the parts are meh

I think what kind of worries me is that Slash said that they put other songs on there, that they normally wouldn't have put on a SMKC record. Which I was kind of okay with, hoping it would broaden their sound a bit. They decided to mess with the track listing from what I have seen on some of the interviews he's done. 

I just feel like they have had this record done for a while and just want to get it out. Which is okay, it is his record so whatever they decide. I'm sure there will be good songs on there, it is a :slash: record :headbang:

Just now, J3ffspicoli said:

Got my tix to see them Sep 18 in SLC Utah. Great venue, quaint, and killer sound. Cant wait (hope to hear some VR songs in place of the GNR heavy setlists of the past)

He already said it will probably be 3 Guns, 1 VR and the rest solo stuff. 

SCOM, PC, and Slither I'd assume. 

Didn’t slash say driving rain was written and recorded pre reunion and mind your mannors was the first thing they did after(December/January break)? This reminds me a lot of DTJ riff wise for some reason. I can see Whole Lot of Rosie too. Might explain why it was wrote after the reunion since they played both of those songs. Driving Rain is kinda boring to me but this one isn’t bad. I don’t mind Myles but I think after his record slash should explore a new project even if it isn’t GNR. I’d love to see a Rod Jackson reunion. 

31 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Didn’t slash say driving rain was written and recorded pre reunion and mind your mannors was the first thing they did after(December/January break)? This reminds me a lot of DTJ riff wise for some reason. I can see Whole Lot of Rosie too. Might explain why it was wrote after the reunion since they played both of those songs. Driving Rain is kinda boring to me but this one isn’t bad. I don’t mind Myles but I think after his record slash should explore a new project even if it isn’t GNR. I’d love to see a Rod Jackson reunion. 

I think he said Mind Your Manners was one of the old songs they still used for this record. I can be wrong though...

Edit: I read it again and I was wrong. MYM is one of the new songs

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

It remindes me of 'Hard & Fast' from Apocalyptic Love. Especially chorus. I expected such songs therefore I'm not dissapointed, can't wait to play it in my car during a trip around some mountains :P Bridge is great *pow!* and Slash freakin' ZZ Toppin' during the solo, haha :D

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LikeADog93 said:

New single sounds great! They have definitely developed their own recognizable sound. Most people say it's boring and generic, I couldn't disagree any more! This is 100 times better than most stuff that gets played on rock radio nowadays   

That's what I'm saying. Completely agree.

• Like 1