Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

I'm actually kind of disappointed with this single, it's not horrible or anything but somewhat boring imo. Hopefully the next single will be better (which usually is the case) since I love both Slash, Myles as well as both WOF and AL!

51 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I'm actually kind of disappointed with this single, it's not horrible or anything but somewhat boring imo. Hopefully the next single will be better (which usually is the case) since I love both Slash, Myles as well as both WOF and AL!

There will be a second single before the album release ?

1 hour ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Same here

• Like 1

9 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Myles is boring and Slash wants it easy and boring these days. No drama, no edge, no thrill. It's understandable but it sucks. Can we all agree to this? :D

A little more thrill in Myles' voice wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Yeah, it is perfect for those old summer albums full of generic songs, lol.

Im honestly not sure if I understand the whole generic thing. Like generic in general or generic for Slash?

Concise, streamlined, to-the-point I can understand. Its formulaic in a way that would make Sam Phillips or Lennon and McCartney proud - grabbing intro, groovy verse, uplifting chorus, tension building middle 8, tension releasing solo, climaxing performance of chorus. With ear catching riffs and bits throughout.

Cool bits like the riff in the verse is tasty with the 2 guitar interplay and the interval of the harmony lick that repeats on the tail is a very interesting choice imo. And to hear a Slash solo with a vintage phase tone is a treat. Going by the video he played it on through soap bar pickups!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Myles is boring and Slash wants it easy and boring these days. No drama, no edge, no thrill. It's understandable but it sucks. Can we all agree to this? :D

yes, easy and boring also takes 15 years in the making, so  complain about both or neither.

Haven't very thoroughly listened to all of Slash's solo music yet and am definitely not in a position to make comparisons to the before.. but as this song didn't seem too faceted at first, I'm now (after 5+ listens) beginning to really enjoy this. Although I prefer deeper, darker and more twisted tunes by Slash, it's definitely cool to have this positive and motivated Rn'R from the band. 

Edited by carola
Typo :P
  • Like 2

On 25.7.2018 at 10:14 PM, MaskingApathy said:

This. I don't understand why some of you are on this thread right now.

Funny, cause there’s so many people here that dont like the current gnr but are the most active ones in those threads. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, RageKage said:

Funny, cause there’s so many people here that dont like the current gnr but are the most active ones in those threads. 

I'm guessing that a lot of people (sadly) get more "fun" out of reacting negatively than positively, to any topic.  It's not unusual in any fan forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Im honestly not sure if I understand the whole generic thing. Like generic in general or generic for Slash?

Concise, streamlined, to-the-point I can understand. Its formulaic in a way that would make Sam Phillips or Lennon and McCartney proud - grabbing intro, groovy verse, uplifting chorus, tension building middle 8, tension releasing solo, climaxing performance of chorus. With ear catching riffs and bits throughout.

Cool bits like the riff in the verse is tasty with the 2 guitar interplay and the interval of the harmony lick that repeats on the tail is a very interesting choice imo. And to hear a Slash solo with a vintage phase tone is a treat. Going by the video he played it on through soap bar pickups!

Yeah, I don't quite get the whole "generic" thing either.  We need to remember that we're not living back in 1980 when great hard rock was all over the radio and new classics were coming out every week.  Hard rock is definitely not in the mainstream any longer, so I think it's important to appreciate someone like Slash who is still releasing well-written, well-performed hard rock that's influenced by the great hard rock of the good old days.  With riffs, solos and melodies like those on Slash's recent albums (yes, I still think in terms of albums), I'm inclined to overlook the shortcomings of whatever singers he's working with.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

So you're telling the world, all of us Slash and Alter Bridge fans, that Myles made a successfull career singing on songs his voice wasn't suited for, had enormous success with it, and that with not just one, but two seperate bands? Seems legit. And also implying that both experienced musicians Marks AND Slashs musical judgement were wrong? Aswell as all the rest of the band members of those bands? If that was the case Mark Tremonti and then later Slash wouldn't have stayed with him for multiple albums with both bands which also proved successfull and have both garnered a sizeable fanbase. And you can guess what the reasonable choice to believe who was right here is.

Also, if Myles voice isn't even suited for Slashs material, how the fuck do you think Myles did ever make successfull albums and garner fans with a metal band like AB, and what the fuck do you think Alter Bridge fans would think, whos music is many times heavier than anything Slash makes? You think they listen to hardcore metal songs like The Other Side or Island of Fools and think "This guy is such a pop singer! His voice doesn't fit!", lol? Hint: No, that's not what they think.

Myles sings the heaviest of the heaviest shit in AB aswell as very light songs, and pulls both off, as seen, successfully. That's probably why they called the damn guy.

Now excited to hear from you how you think that either Myles voice somehow fits ABs hard metal more but somehow not Slashs way lighter music, or how Myles doesn't fit Alter Bridge either and that they choose the wrong singer for their entire career too, lol.:lol:

Perhaps my choice of words was poor. If you go back a couple of pages, you will see that i described Myles as a human vocal equivalent to a drum machine. He sings very well, almost perfectly. But i think, and this is a subjective opinion, that his voice is boring and lacks emotion. I never called Myles a pop singer, but i said he would be suited for it. His vocals are very sanitised and clean-cut. It's perfect for today's radio, so kudos to Slash and Myles for that.

Myles pulls off the heavy and light stuff (for AB and SMKC), but the songs in each extremity almost sound the same with him on it. It's like listening to a drum machine. It's technically perfect, but it isn't really the outstanding part of the song. Myles is like a singer-for-hire.

5 hours ago, soon said:

That was a joke. I think the song is technically fine, but i don't think it is anything special. It almost sounds like a filler song which would fit in pretty much any rock or Slash album. The instrumentals are great as usual, but Myles delivers a phoned-in performance. For example, Back From Cali had a great performance from Myles - it was varied and interesting. Myles on Driving Rain sounds boring in comparison.

5 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

That was a joke. I think the song is technically fine, but i don't think it is anything special. It almost sounds like a filler song which would fit in pretty much any rock or Slash album. The instrumentals are great as usual, but Myles delivers a phoned-in performance. For example, Back From Cali had a great performance from Myles - it was varied and interesting. Myles on Driving Rain sounds boring in comparison.

Oh, haha - sorry I didnt pick up on the joke! 

Im not a fan of Myles voice so much, but I think this song actually serves as a pretty good vehicle for his vocals. 

• Like 1

I mean it might work in his solo album and alter bridge I think slash needs a singer with some grit in his vocals. myles doesn't have the rock n' roll swagger really for a band that prides itself on staying in the realm of rock that's one thing that keeps working against them imo and against the material. im still a fan cause of the instrumentals mostly. musically there are some cool things and sometimes myles comes up with something cool like wicked stone.

• Like 1

My cousin texted me this morning excited about the new single.. He said he liked it and that it did sound like a lot of their other songs... That made me play it on my Echo over real speakers for the first time and I enjoyed it a little more. Not grounding but a decent rock song.. I the echo shuffle Slash while I got ready and it played Bent To Fly and Back From Cali while I was getting ready.. Both fine songs...

• Like 1

I’m a huge Myles fan but I’d agree that he sounds waaaay better on deeper songs like he performs solo and with Alter Bridge. The problem with SMKC is that there’s very little substance to their songs, whether that’s Myles or Slash’s fault depends on who’s pushing the fun-times, bbq Rock theme on their albums. There seems little for Myles to get his teeth into unlike Fortress, Blackbird and Year Of The Tiger.

This is SMKC. If you don't like the MK in it, then dont be a fan of it. You guys know just because Slash is in it doesn't mean you guys have to like it, right?

I get that his voice isn't for everyone but I'm a little sick of hearing haters shitting all over him.

This is only relavent if Myles is taking over Axl in GnR.

Edited by Rapidfire
  • Like 3

Everybody is entitled to his opinion. When Slash releases new music, of course I'm excited no matter who the singer is. Even to me MK is the weak link in this band. You don't have to like his style. That doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the songs or that I don't care for the new music.

Although I would be happier with another singer who's more r'n'r and who would fit Slash's style more imo...