Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

I am not the biggest fan of SMKC. I think their stuff tends to be a hit or miss. When their material is good, it is great. When it's not, it is generic. Despite a great riff, i think Driving Rain falls into the latter. It is basic and reminiscent of previous songs, the vocals are boring, and they essentially reuse lyrics in the bridge. However, i am cautiously optimistic that the album will have it's fair share of good songs. Honestly, i think a major sticking point for people is Myles Kennedy. The guy is a great singer and he seems like a nice and down-to-earth person, but his vocals have the tendency to kill many of the hard rock songs it touches. It is often generic, too polished and lacks emotion. I know, 'too polished'? Sure, he's too good that he makes the songs boring, lol. He's like the vocal equivalent to a drum machine. :lol:

• Like 4

Yeah they did the same chord progression and freakin' minor lyrics changes to that part because they were lazy and they forgot they wrote something similar 6 years ago (why would they remember, they played it every night for 2 years only). That must be it. Absolutely no reference between standing in the sun and driving in fucking rain.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Yeah they did the same chord progression and freakin' minor lyrics changes to that part because they were lazy and they forgot they wrote something similar 6 years ago (why would they remember, they played it every night for 2 years only). That must be it. Absolutely no reference between standing in the sun and driving in fucking rain.

I suppose you're responding/reacting to my post, among others.

Where did I stay that they forgot that song? I stated that referencing your own songs when you are just at your third album is a bit surprising and lazy, considering how creative we know Slash was, and suppose he still is. 

Calling that self reference is to me trying too hard to defend what is probably just more a sign of laziness. But that's my opinion, don't go all defensive like that.

Oh and please...Standing in the Sun referenced in Driving in the Rain? That's pure genius!

• Like 1

still hoping the album is much better than the single I understand that's how it is usually with this band. also there's always at least 3 to 4 tunes on every slash album which contain great things. I just hope it's as good as wof. for me safari inn will be very hard to top but I expect some killer riffs and top quality solos which is exciting.

Edited by Rovim

Todd his bass playing is really rad !!! Can't believe all negative comments here !! Slash is delivering, cant really say that from uncle axl !!

Yes i know Myles is generic and boring, still Slash likes him to be in there band. And fuck it !!! I like them more than Guns n' Roses 2018 !!!

They are a real band , making and progressing songs to a album. And then conquer the world as a band !!

I can only here the teaser, and i al ready like the song !! can't wait for the album, going to pick it up as soon it arrives !!!!

so there we have it !!!!!:slash:

Rock on !!! 

Edited by Robert39
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, EvH said:

Self -reference on your third album? Come on.

Rather sounds like laziness.

What exactly does it matter which album you release a self-reference on? And what sort of troglodyte argument is "Come on"? That's one of the worst complaints and reasonings about something I've ever read on here. You think the guy who sits around and writes hundreds of riffs is lazy? And had trouble coming up with a riff for a bridge? If Slash didn't want to specifically do this riff there he'd have put in one of his 100s of other riffs. It's hilarious to even think he ran out of riffs so he reused one because he is lazy. Oh noes the 9th track on this album full of new riffs has a callback riff to another track, what a lazy asshole.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Don't you think they did that on purpose? Lyrics is one thing, but chord progression in that bridge is exactly the same as in the verse of Standing In The Sun dude...  It was a reference and I'm totally diggin' it.

Of course it was on purpose, and of course it was a reference. Doesn't make it any less uninspired to do it that way though. I would have respected the reference more if it wasn't as simple as reusing the same chord progression and similar lyrics. It just comes off as a cheap throwback otherwise.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Even if I'm not digging the new single much, I am still stoked for the album. At least Slash is writing and releasing music still. Even a GNR reunion won't stop him from finding a creative outlet

Exactly. Slash is at least trying to stay relevant by releasing new music, whereas Axl seems content at being a nostalgia act at this point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Of course it was on purpose, and of course it was a reference. Doesn't make it any less uninspired to do it that way though. I would have respected the reference more if it wasn't as simple as reusing the same chord progression and similar lyrics. It just comes off as a cheap throwback otherwise.

And while we're at it how uninspired this guy who is just about to release 12 brand new songs is and who had the balls to put in an unrespectable reference for 15 seconds into his 50 minutes of new music, remember when he just reused the original You're A Lie riff on Shadow Life instead of writing a new one? Shit does this guys lazyness have no boundaries? How does he sleep at night?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

21 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

And while we're at it how uninspired this guy who is just about to release 12 brand new songs is and who had the balls to put in an unrespectable reference for 15 seconds into his 50 minutes of new music, remember when he just reused the original You're A Lie riff on Shadow Life instead of writing a new one? Shit does this guys lazyness have no boundaries? How does he sleep at night?

I said the song comes off as uninspired, not Slash. You are misrepresenting my comment and running with it.