Duff interview: New music is a logical thing- No beef with Izzy

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

McKagan is speaking in unadulterated ''Axlspeak'' with, ''this makeup of this band is what it's supposed to be now'', and, ''the right mixture of people" merely presupposes that the Appetite or Illusion line-ups would contain, ''the wrong mixture of people''! 

Nope, he's saying it's the right people for right now, he isn't saying one line up is better or worse. I would guess that if he was pressed for a favourite he'd gave AFD 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Nope, he's saying it's the right people for right now, he isn't saying one line up is better or worse. I would guess that if he was pressed for a favourite he'd gave AFD 

But that wasn't an interpretation (of mine).

If it's ''the right people for right now'' it merely raises the question why wouldn't Appetite's line-up be the ''right people for right now''? There is a presupposition that Appetite's personnel would be the ''wrong people (for right now)''. Earlier Slash had been discussing, pertaining to Fortus, how they wanted to recreate Appetite's sound. Well? What would be the obvious way to achieve this? What would be the first thing that springs to mind (if one wanted to recreate Appetite)?

Slash and Duff have adopted Rose's muddled illogical language. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

But that wasn't an interpretation (of mine).

If it's ''the right people for right now'' it merely raises the question why wouldn't Appetite's line-up be the ''right people for right now''? There is a presupposition that Appetite's personnel would be the ''wrong people (for right now)''. Earlier Slash had been discussing, pertaining to Fortus, how they wanted to recreate Appetite's sound. Well? What would be the obvious way to achieve this? What would be the first thing that springs to mind (if one wanted to recreate Appetite)?

Slash and Duff have adopted Rose's muddled illogical language. 

at this point these guys must be 100% sure that they are dealing with a mass of people who will *buy* whatever they sell

be it fake live albums, fake reunions, shitty live shows, bullshit session musicians presented as band members (yeah right), toy-boxes and, of course, these bullshit interviews

who can say they are wrong?

On 9/30/2018 at 4:44 AM, Live Like a Suicide said:

Fernando also said something was happening behind the scenes, if i recall correctly.

I think it's a safe assumption that they are collating ideas and working towards something. Perhaps they aren't recording yet, but something is likely in the works.

I think Fernando was talking about GNR merchandise. I think after GNRAir they are moving onto a GNR Yacht Club Clothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidman69 said:

I think Fernando was talking about GNR merchandise. I think after GNRAir they are moving onto a GNR Yacht Club Clothing.

He replied with 'something' when someone asked him if anything was being done on new music. That said, who wants an exclusive GNR sailor's cap? We can chuck the bastardised AFD cross that someone made featuring Melissa, Frank, Richard and Dizzy on there too.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Hardcore Corey Taylor fans AND people who make memes:  

Hide contents

The speculation about Izzy being involved with writing in the future... feels like wishful thinking to me, whether they have a beef with him or not. Getting a new album in the first place is highly uncertain.. let alone this scenario: " Hi Izzy, we didn't want to pay you what you asked for the tour, but could you help us to make more money and write songs with us for new album?"   Seems pretty ridiculous :lol: 

That's never worked out for any bands that I can think of, but it's been tried in the past. While the idea is really ridiculous, we've seen GN'R make some of the most puzzling decisions ever, so it wouldn't surprise me if they at least tried it.

12 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kuvahaun tulos haulle what does corey taylor think about it

What does Corey Taylor think

BUT-WHAT-DOES-COREY-TAYLOR-THINK-batman-shirt-956x515.jpg

but_what_does_corey_taylor_think-696x449.jpg

The speculation about Izzy being involved with writing in the future... feels like wishful thinking to me, whether they have a beef with him or not. Getting a new album in the first place is highly uncertain.. let alone this scenario: " Hi Izzy, we didn't want to pay you what you asked for the tour, but could you help us to make more money and write songs with us for new album?"   Seems pretty ridiculous :lol: 

Izzy went out with Guns in 2006 & 2012? So he must have been offered a lot more than what he received for those few gigs, but his piece wasn't enough compared to Duff's & Slash's.

16 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kuvahaun tulos haulle what does corey taylor think about it

What does Corey Taylor think

BUT-WHAT-DOES-COREY-TAYLOR-THINK-batman-shirt-956x515.jpg

but_what_does_corey_taylor_think-696x449.jpg

I actually agree that it is wishful thinking, but playing devils advocate, Izzy writes A LOT.  He's like Slash minus the guest appearance on 5+ albums a year.   If they went into it with an agreement that Izzy was just writing and didn't plan on touring, I could see the faint glimmer of hope.

On 9/30/2018 at 7:36 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Slash and Duff have adopted Fortus's disease of citing vagaries about ''new music''. 

Yeah but Axl just doubled his net worth thanks in part to Slash & Duff....so I would think Slash & Duff saying it should carry more weight.  One would hope so, anyway....lol.

13 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Does Izzy seem like a money grubber to you, though?

I don’t think the guy has done one thing that’s commercial or revenue generating since Ju Ju hounds and that was very half-hearted. He doesn’t chase money. He puts out albums once in a blue moon and almost never gigs.

So what does he want? I.E. What are his ambitions? 

Is it to live in retirement and occasionally pop his head up? Since GN’R is an entity that has to exist with a regimented and thorough schedule, what does he want out of that?

On 1.10.2018 at 7:11 PM, jekylhyde said:

I would kick a child for bitchen Gn'R tennis attire. No fucks given!

Viikon vitsi. Torilla tavataan! :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Maybe to be treated with respect?

You hit the nail on the head, Oldie.  

19 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

Does Izzy seem like a money grubber to you, though?

I don’t think the guy has done one thing that’s commercial or revenue generating since Ju Ju hounds and that was very half-hearted. He doesn’t chase money. He puts out albums once in a blue moon and almost never gigs.

Despite that this is me being partially repetitive: 

I don't believe that Izzy is "greedy" in true meaning of the word, not a money grubber who chases money, like you described. Money grubbers don't leave world's biggest rock bands when they are on their peak or refuse to join another high profile band after the biggest band has gone to shit. In short, they don't live their lives like Izzy has lived his after leaving Guns ( If I remember correctly, he was losing money while touring with the Ju Ju Hounds) I believe that Izzy appreciates having money because it gives him a good, carefree, independent life. He can do what he wants and doesn't have take orders from anyone. I'm guessing most of us would tolerate that kind of life pretty well.  

When it comes to "Sharing the Loot" situation -  the tweet followed by F.P.  Money - IMO is not about getting as much as possible, but what is fair, even if it was just  guest spots , which obviously is a different thing than being there full time. But still, I believe that Izzy felt insulted by the offer he got considering his contributions to the band. He was one of the founding members and key songwriters, but apparently, like the corporate lawyers here have said, he sold his share of the band, so that doesn't mean shit anymore.  

Obviously there may be other issues behind this situation that we don't know about. Or maybe I'm wrong about Izzy. Maybe he is sitting in an over the top mansion on golden toilet, a crown on his head and yelling on the phone: where's my money,  motherfuckers!?!!! 

19 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

So what does he want? I.E. What are his ambitions? 

Is it to live in retirement and occasionally pop his head up? Since GN’R is an entity that has to exist with a regimented and thorough schedule, what does he want out of that?

I've understood  that Izzy was meant to do guest spots (how many and how extensive, who knows). The Gn'R now is the not a collection of fucked up addicts + an emotionally highly unstable frontman, like it was in the early nineties. If they had reached a financial agreement with Izzy, was there any reason he couldn't have done those appearances during the tour? Unless he has developed a serious stage fright during the last few years, then why not? And if he was not willing to do those appearances (for other reasons than money), then why where there any negotiations in the first place? 

When it comes to Izzy and the current Gn'R I don't believe there was never meant to be any more than that.

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 3

On 30/09/2018 at 10:35 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Second guessing how this band operate, that is with a complete lack of logic. Apparently Rose wanted Slash to play on two-three songs on Chinese for instance! Another example would be Rose's ''we haven't decided whether we want to write with Gilby'', or even sporadic people who may/may not have been bandmembers (nobody is the wiser?) such as Zakk Wylde and Navarro.  

It is their modus operandi, a fluctuating vague animal.

The idea of a fixed live band, who also so happen to be the same individuals who write and record, is anathema.

I get it, but you're overthinking some decisions and opinions from more than 20 years ago. :(

Edited by Legendador
mispelling

Touring and making an album could be seperate things. They could tour with various line ups that play songs written by various people. They have played Izzy songs with various line ups. The songs are mostly more than just one writer’s and in the end become GNR songs. Furthermore, when they make an album the songwriters aren’t always the current touring band. So I think we might feel the energy of the current line up on songs written or previously recorded by other ex-members. 

Edited by wasted

1 hour ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

The only logical thing is bringing Izzy and Steven back. But GNR never had any logic.

All in good time. First make gabillion dollars reliving UYI and making the follow up to UYI. Then the final curtain call. 2030 Original Gangster Tour. 

• Haha 1

On 02/10/2018 at 3:54 AM, Edward Nigma said:

Izzy went out with Guns in 2006 & 2012? So he must have been offered a lot more than what he received for those few gigs, but his piece wasn't enough compared to Duff's & Slash's.

I think gnr was earning a fraction back then of what they do now, he probably did those past gigs for free, just for fun & no commitment

But when it came to NITL, he wanted an equal share to commit full time (and rightly so).  Such a bummer that the big 3 could be so greedy, making millions upon millions, so why not split it equally? They’re not gonna live forever and can’t take the $ to the grave, pure greed imo.

Edited by megaguns1982
H
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I think gnr was earning a fraction back then of what they do now, he probably did those past gigs for free, just for fun & no commitment

But when it came to NITL, he wanted an equal share to commit full time (and rightly so).  Such a bummer that the big 3 could be so greedy, making millions upon millions, so why not split it equally? They’re not gonna live forever and can’t take the $ to the grave, pure greed imo.

I think I'm on the other side of the fence about this.

I think Izzy shouldn't expect an equal cut with Axl or even Slash. The general public truly only cares if Axl is there along with Slash. So to me, they should get the biggest cut. Then Duff should take less followed by Izzy, then Adler. 

I'm not talking shit about Izzy here and I get his place in the history's of the band. That doesn't change the fact that the general public doesn't care if he's there it not. 

So because of the choice he made, he now gets zero dollars instead of some dollars. On top of that, the fans who do care don't get to see him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

Didnt axl mention in one of his chats that the business arrangement was managed behind the scenes between izzy and TB, especially during his 2012 appearances?.

39 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I think I'm on the other side of the fence about this.

I think Izzy shouldn't expect an equal cut with Axl or even Slash. The general public truly only cares if Axl is there along with Slash. So to me, they should get the biggest cut. Then Duff should take less followed by Izzy, then Adler. 

I'm not talking shit about Izzy here and I get his place in the history's of the band. That doesn't change the fact that the general public doesn't care if he's there it not. 

So because of the choice he made, he now gets zero dollars instead of some dollars. On top of that, the fans who do care don't get to see him. 

You may be right, either way those negotiations fell apart based on greed on whoever’s part, I’d imagine it took place between managers and not the band themselves 

11 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Didnt axl mention in one of his chats that the business arrangement was managed behind the scenes between izzy and TB, especially during his 2012 appearances?.

Not sure, either way the $ value would have been pretty low back then compared to their earnings from 2016 onwards

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I wonder how many % of the fanbase cares about Izzy. Is it just an echo chamber among the hardcore fans, or is he more known than we expect?

I reckon it’s something like 5% care if Izzy’s there, probably 80% slash.

izzy not being there during most of the uyi tours had virtually no impact on ticket sales imo. can’t see why it would now, but having said that, it wasn’t common knowledge that Izzy quit, especially in the pre-internet days. and in a stadium setting Gilby looked a bit like izzy anyway

Edited by megaguns1982
H
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I wonder how many % of the fanbase cares about Izzy. Is it just an echo chamber among the hardcore fans, or is he more known than we expect?

He's not known that well outside of hard core fans, at least in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2