Best releases of 2018

username

It's still a little early, but what the heck. What were your favorite releases of 2018? 

For me: 

1. Ry Cooder - Prodigal Son

2. Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - Black Coffee

3. Bob Dylan - More Blood On The Tracks (The Bootleg Series Vol 14)

4. Bombino - Deran 

5. The Beatles - The Beatles: 50th Anniversary Box Set

6. Guns n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction: Locked n' Loaded Box Set (which was ridiculously overpriced and definitely not worth the money)

Edited by username
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

There's been a Beatles box set?

Yeah man. It's a remaster of The White Album that includes one disc with The Escher Demo's, 3 discs of other demo's and a DVD-Audio disc. And a book. Priced around 150 euro's. I thought the demo material was really interesting. 

10 minutes ago, username said:

Yeah man. It's a remaster of The White Album that includes one disc with The Escher Demo's, 3 discs of other demo's and a DVD-Audio disc. And a book. Priced around 150 euro's. I thought the demo material was really interesting. 

Oh yeah, I remember that, I think they did a Sgt Peppers too, I thought you meant like a box set of like...all The Beatles stuff, which there's probably a few around.  What were the Esher demos like?

EDIT:  Shit, yeah, The White Album is technically called The Beatles isn't it, sorry, my mistake.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

There wasn't a ton of new music released this year that I loved which is unusual. Here's some stuff that struck me throughout the year, whether is was a new release, re-issue or possibly released late last year:

The Lone Bellow - The Restless EP (One of my favorite bands in the past decade. Solid EP to showcase what they do)
Parker Milsap - Other Arrangements (Another favorite artist I've been turned on to. LOVE his latest album)
The Beatles - The White Album, 2018 Mix (Giles worked a miracle here)
Kelly Clarkson - Meaning Of Life (Released late last year, but I love this album. It's by far her best)
Mumford & Sons - Delta (Really digging that they continued what they started on the last album)
Culture Club - Life (Love, love, love this album. Glad it was finally released)
Leon Bridges - Good Thing (Probably the best album of the year, IMO)
The Magpie Salute - High Water I (Solid continuation of what the Crowes were doing)

The biggest disapointments for me were the latest Jack White album and the crazy over pricing of the AFD Boxed Set. 

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Mumford & Sons - Delta (Really digging that they continued what they started on the last album)

Is it really worth a spin? I honestly hated their last album for being so generic and boring. I skipped through Delta a but, but nothing really caught my ear.

3 minutes ago, username said:

Is it really worth a spin? I honestly hated their last album for being so generic and boring. I skipped through Delta a but, but nothing really caught my ear.

Let me start by saying I liked the last album. I didn't love it, but I liked it. I mostly liked that they started to evolve away from their original sound. The new album isn't earth shaking or anything, but it does build on the last sound IMO.

Having said that, I'd tell you to listen to the two track combo of Picture You into Darkness Visible. Picture You is an example of what the rest of the album sounds like. It transitions into Darkness Visible which is REALLY like. I hope they continue to evolve more towards the sound of that track.

If you don't like that two track combo, don't bother with the rest of the album. 

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I keep meaning to get around to this one. I thought the single was just so-so but I'd like to hear the rest of the album. 

You've listed The Beatles boxset as one of your favourite releases, Steve covers 'I Need You' on the album. It's different to the album version from Help, but I think he done a great job. He said he contacted George's wife for permission and let her hear it and she loved it. I'm not the biggest Journey fan, but the man has an incredible voice and it's great seeing him active again. There's some songs on the album that I could be doing without but all in all, it's a great record. When you get round to listening to it, let me know what you think!

Here's the cover:

I'm probably forgetting things but for me...

White Album 4LP box set as previously mentioned (I don't buy cd's but will at some point get the cd set as well just because theres so much extra material on it)

How The West Was Won 4LP box set

Starcrawler - S/T

Jack White - Boarding House Reach

The Rob Zombie Vinyl Box Set

Jack White Live at Third Man Records (Vault release. I was at the show that makes up 2/3 of this set, so it's a super special release for me)

There were some really good soundtracks that came out this year as well like You Were Never Really Here, Hereditary, etc...