2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

1 hour ago, Amir said:

Digging the added funk in OMG. Probably still prefer the End of Days version but it's nice to have this version, too.

I agree with your thoughts on OMG.

While I understand the general antipathy shown towards "Silkworms," I think the worst thing one can say about it is that it just doesn't sound like a GnR song. 

Still, between the leaks of Going Down, OMG, and Silkworms the band demonstrates a great deal of musical range. 

46 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Ron didn't add his guitar parts in 2005, because he wasn't in the picture until 2006...

correct. my info is that Ron was given the tracks in 2006 to add his guitar onto them - the batch was reportedly the 3 ones that leaked in this state and also Atlas Shrugged. but Atlas never leaked with this batch and never anyone confirmed that it got out, no matter if with Ron's added guitar or without it.

the older demo in the right channel is supposed to be a bit older, but only god and Axl knows the date. they sound quite old, but it's most probably also due to its mix in those particular versions, so they might be anything between 2000 and very early 2006. I'd say 2001, but that's just my shot into the dark.

Okay, this sounds like it was a edited multi track with things missing. First notice all the repeating that Axl's voice is exactly the same. Lyrics were dropped I am assuming that they were edited out and pasted the same vocals over and over that really didn't fit. It does sound like there is a guitar or two are missing at points also. I would say that it is from originally a disgruntled former band member that may have accidentally left it out in a bar or something and a super fan got a hold of it.

11 minutes ago, Billly B said:

Okay, this sounds like it was a edited multi track with things missing. First notice all the repeating that Axl's voice is exactly the same. Lyrics were dropped I am assuming that they were edited out and pasted the same vocals over and over that really didn't fit. It does sound like there is a guitar or two are missing at points also. I would say that it is from originally a disgruntled former band member that may have accidentally left it out in a bar or something and a super fan got a hold of it.

it reminds me of the chidem demo from 2002 (1st leak, back in '06)

And yes, it's missing some vocals and the synth intro, wich is present in the 2006 version. 

13 minutes ago, Billly B said:

The newest Silkworms with Bumblefoot's guitar parts doesn't sound like there's parts missing.

Edited by Axl4ever7

7 minutes ago, Axl4ever7 said:

The newest Silkworms with Bumblefoot's guitar parts doesn't sound like there's parts missing.

IDK, it doesn't have the three to four guitars layered. It is clear that the vocals were pasted and possibly edited to prevent full legal ramifications. Whatever the reason, there are edits by those who released it.  BTW Silkworms was Pitman's Stairway...

15 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

it reminds me of the chidem demo from 2002 (1st leak, back in '06)

And yes, it's missing some vocals and the synth intro, wich is present in the 2006 version. 

This is the Original intro for Sikworms. It's on the first version of Silkworms. The 2006 version of Silkworms is the version that leaked.

Supposedly the earlier version of Silkworms was out there too in 2006, but it's not from 2006. It's from 2001.

Edited by Propaganda

Absurd was copied and pasted from the fist line. It doesn't fit the part were it is repeated where the lines "What Cant I do with a" should be. Plus there is a bit of audio that isn't cut that was the exactly the same as between the words that and absurd.

24 minutes ago, Billly B said:

Absurd was copied and pasted from the fist line. It doesn't fit the part were it is repeated where the lines "What Cant I do with a" should be. Plus there is a bit of audio that isn't cut that was the exactly the same as between the words that and absurd.

How do we know that the source edited it, and that it's not just an unfinished demo by Axl? Like, the absurd is pasted in as filler for what would be a different hook instead of "with a bitch like you". He doesn't seem to have had the hook ever nailed down. The HOB and Rio versions differ in the hook's lyrics. He might never have gotten around to finishing it and so pasted in absurd as filler until he could think of words he really liked.

1 hour ago, Billly B said:

Although Axl himself during the Axl Forum Chats said that the chorus for Silkworms is gone so I think that it is a legit demo.  With the word "absurd" when repeated during the would-be chorus there are vocal effects where they could not have been fanmade unless they had the multitrack mixes available to them with the vocal track

This is an unfinished demo, but it is definitely in my view not tampered with by non-band members besides the initial removal of BBF's guitar channel

Edited by WhazUp
  • GNFNR 1

12 hours ago, Billly B said:

IDK, it doesn't have the three to four guitars layered. It is clear that the vocals were pasted and possibly edited to prevent full legal ramifications. Whatever the reason, there are edits by those who released it.  BTW Silkworms was Pitman's Stairway...

If there's pasted lyrics what's the new lyrics missing? What lyrics is missing from the demo?

One week after the leaks, I heard those songs once again.

I still miss the screams in OMG, those were unbelievable.

Silkworms sounds a lot diferent from what we expected back in the days. Sounds like a eletric post-rock version of Down in the farm n' it's so easy. so awesome.
I still miss the "what can i do with a bitch like u" part.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NeonKinight said:

One week after the leaks, I heard those songs once again.

I still miss the screams in OMG, those were unbelievable.

Silkworms sounds a lot diferent from what we expected back in the days. Sounds like a eletric post-rock version of Down in the farm n' it's so easy. so awesome.
I still miss the "what can i do with a bitch like u" part.

that thing made the lyrics even more embarassing.
This song would be amazing if the lyrics would be any other thing

• Like 1

some little more info to these, as found at various places and discussed with various people (all credits given to you, guys):

• not only the 2002 Boston promo exists, but also one from Albany with slighly different announcer speech. also there's a shorter version used in a commercial (includes part of ChiDem and Madagascar, but not The Blues) - there was no need to add these to the collection, because the studio snippets are exactly the same
  • IRS played by Piazza and later leaked in 2005 seems to be the same version as the one leaked in feb 2006, just the latter has of course much better quality
  • the two TWATs leaked in 2006 seem to be different just by being longer and shorter, the difference being a long Buckethead's solo, which could make one thinking that the longer one has everything and the shorter one is unneccessary. not exactly true, as the short version has some differences as well, the most obvious one being a fancy guitar shred after 1:47 which the longer version doesn't have. back in the day, someone took this part and pasted it into the longer version, creating a "2 sources mix".
  • Better by Bumblefoot comes from the same sessions as his Barefoot acoustic EP (just listen to that), that means it was recorded in late summer or fall 2008 (as Abnormal was recorded in late winter/spring 2008 and released in early July, and Barefoot was released in December 2008)
  • Better Gone is using the acoustic guitar from Bumblefoot's version so it must be at least slightly newer. the "Better Gone" name is not confirmed as "official" name, but the leaked file was called like that (same story about Blood In The Water).
  • Better by DJ Ashba was most probably recorded in fall 2009 - he joined GNR in March 2009 and the song was supposed to be done before the world tour started in December 2009. from similar time, his two instrumental solo songs (Ballad of Death and Mi Amor) also were recorded in the studio and their snippets were included in the 3 minute "preview" leaked in December 2013, but have never been leaked as whole songs. DJ was asked about them and denied that he's playing on any leaked songs, but still he might be given a fake one (there's a backing track of BoD for example) - these 2 solo songs are still somewhere out there. 
  • Brain's remixes were probably made gradually, not as a single session. he's talking about having just made Shackler remix in April 2009, later he was talking about 3 songs, and finally the 2011 snapshot of Zildjian website says 6 remixes (one of those is still unknown as of now, maybe it was Sorry which was performed live many years later by Brain & Melissa) - so realistic date of the remixes are 2009-10. contrary to general opinion, I don't think Axl's vocals in TIL remix are "new", I very strongly doubt he was still recording something in 2010, most probably those are from like 2001-2006 and the vocal line could have been heavily manipulated and post-processed, so take this with a huge grain of salt.
  • Going Down, Silkworms and OMG were given to Bumblefoot in 2006, reportedly shortly after he joined the band in May 2006. according to an interview with him, he also got Atlas Shrugged in this batch and recorded a guitar line in the same manner, but this track was never leaked and nobody ever claimed to have it. there's also supposed to be an older version of Atlas Shrugged with Brian May solo, it would make sense that it was a part of the "1999 demos", but of course it's just a guess. funny how the fate of the song was exactly the same as CITR (first version by Brian May, later his solo was replaced by Bumblefoot's), except that it finally didn't make the final album cut and was only part of some alternate tracklist with source unknown to me - might be fake http://i55.tinypic.com/28b5wxy.jpg
Edited by zombux
  • Like 1