2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

I couldn't even tell you if I think it's a good song or not but I can't stop listening to Silkworms. I dig it more than Riad; as much as I'm an "epic ballad" guy, I would love to hear more of these batshit insane ChiDem rockers one day (always imagine Jackie Chan being similar).

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I have to admit that I slightly miss (early, i.e. circa 1999 - 2007ish) Nugnr. It is the creativity and madness I miss, or at least the idea that Rose was in his studio there with his tape loops. The mystique - the epic unveiling of Vegas and Rio 3. And we got a steady treacle of leaks over time (live and studio).

It was certainly interesting. It may have been total chaos and didn't deliver (said ''trilogies'' etc) but it was never boring unlike now's corporate/NITL era. 

Later nugnr, ''moustache (2009-14) era'', did nothing for me. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have to admit that I slightly miss (early, i.e. circa 1999 - 2007ish) Nugnr. It is the creativity and madness I miss, or at least the idea that Rose was in his studio there with his tape loops. The mystique - the epic unveiling of Vegas and Rio 3. And we got a steady treacle of leaks over time (live and studio).

It was certainly interesting. It may have been total chaos and didn't deliver (said ''trilogies'' etc) but it was never boring unlike now's corporate/NITL era. 

Later nugnr, ''moustache (2009-14) era'', did nothing for me. 

Just from that HOB show alone:

-  Self-aware intro parody video portraying himself as Howard Hughes recluse into mystic mumbo-jumbo

- Exorcist III intro

- "I have traversed a treacherous sea of horrors to be with you here tonight"

- Motherfuckin' "Oh My God"

- Introducing Paul Tobias

- Story of Kundun inspiring Chinese Democracy

- Silkworms. 'Nuff said.

And then from the Docklands gig in 2002:

There's been some concern. That if we play five or six new songs, then there can't that many more on the album. Au contraire, mon frère. We're just playing the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So, you'll get 18 songs, and about 10 extra tracks. And when that, when the record company feels that has run its course, then you'll get it all over again. By that time, I should be done with the third album. So we'll see if all goes well boys and girls.

Edited by Amir
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 12.6.2018 at 9:50 PM, ToonGuns said:

What a few days.

Most interesting thing for me is the Shadow of Your Love thread which is GnR's "new single" has 40 pages at the time of writing, yet the combined total of all the threads of Silkworms / OMG / Going Down '02 / This I Love Remix / Vegas 2001 leaks etc is >90 pages within 3 days.

I appreciate within that there are people searching for the downloads, but even so it goes to show how much genuine interest there still is in CD2, as the leaks aren't anymore "new" than SOYL.

To me Silkworms sounds much more like a new song compared to Shadow of Your Love. At least we've had a studio version on Shadow of Your Love, but we've only had a crappy live version of Silkworms and it's barely even the same song as this new leak. The chorus is completely different now. The whole energy of the song is different. I love this Silkworms leak. I can't say the same about the live version.

Shadow of Your Love has always been a meh song for me. This new version is better, but in the end it's not that different. The new This I Love is very different too compared to the old version, although I prefer the old version. All the other leaks were pretty meh to me, cause they weren't different enough. Basically I'm just hungry for new music. Shadow Of Your Love wasn't new. Silkworms is the closest to a new song, we've had in ages.

7 minutes ago, brad_k said:

Please remove if not allowed, but is this version of Better legit and what year is it from?

"Better Gone", one of the Brain remixes, circa 2009-10, leaked in January 2012.

interestingly, it uses guitar tracks from other Better version - Bumblefoot's acoustic rendition - circa mid 2008 (Barefoot EP sessions).

1 hour ago, angriestwhopper said:

Sounds like shit

If axl rose wasn't on this you would not be listening to it. So I don't understand.

If there was a ten hour recording of him snoring from 7th august 2005 would you listen to it all?

Bollox

What are you talking about exactly? Oh My God and Silkworms, or that Better Gone remix that brad_k posted?

Cause OMG and Silkworms are songs that I would definitely listen to, no matter who sang on it. In fact Silkworms sounds almost exactly like Prodigy to me and I love Prodigy.

That Better Gone remix is pretty weird though, and although I do enjoy some weird music, I don't think I would listen to Better Gone, if Axl wasn't on it. Then again, I don't really listen to it even though Axl is on it so... :shrugs:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I was wondering what they were talking about as well. 

That whole "if Axl wasn't on this, you wouldn't like it" line of reasoning has always been laughable to me anyway. 

It's like "News Flash: Artist I Like Makes Art That I Like" what a shocker lol

I've always found that weird too.

Artists I love are perfectly capable of making songs that I hate and artists I hate are perfectly capable of making songs that I love. 

"Liking" something only because <insert artist here> is on it isn't actually liking it. It's just having your head up someones ass. 

• Like 1

Come on.

It is a million miles away from anything he has released and for good reason.

I will listen to it too and be like ooo listen to that rasp @ 0:57 but im not going to pretend its good. 

Ive heard the oh my god leak and i love the released version, and hate this because its missing the wah pedal goodness on the middle eight. This bit:

https://youtu.be/B08EraGPdag?t=190 (taken out the video embed but goes straight to 3:10 of OMG)

Silkworms - speaks for itself.

Love you silly ol guys xx

59 minutes ago, angriestwhopper said:

Come on.

It is a million miles away from anything he has released and for good reason.

I will listen to it too and be like ooo listen to that rasp @ 0:57 but im not going to pretend its good. 

Ive heard the oh my god leak and i love the released version, and hate this because its missing the wah pedal goodness on the middle eight. This bit:

https://youtu.be/B08EraGPdag?t=190 (taken out the video embed but goes straight to 3:10 of OMG)

Silkworms - speaks for itself.

Love you silly ol guys xx

Don't get me wrong.... I can't stand Silkworms. I had a non GNR fan buddy in my music discussion group say Silkworms was his jam, to which I replied "Silkworms is no one's jam" 

I do love OMG though, especially the newest leak of it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Don't get me wrong.... I can't stand Silkworms. I had a non GNR fan buddy in my "music discussion group" say Silkworms was his jam, to which I replied "Silkworms is no one's jam" 

I do love OMG though, especially the newest leak of it. 

Yeah OMG as a tune kicks ass. Hope they play it again, I listened to that soundcheck from like 2011 and the bass is so... Good?! 

Ooo straying from the subject I will shut the funk up

I liked Silkworms (Needs those voice effects out and let Axl be Axl (Raw Power/Down on the Farm), needs the 2001 chorus, the Accapela needs to be a little more extended, and they need to go back to the 2001 intro of the song).

Oh My God has the best lyrics ever released of NEW GNR, but Musically I feel we still didn't get a proper mix of it, and a proper solo on the song as well.

On June 16, 2018 at 2:45 PM, username said:

I've listened to it twice and I feel the same way. 

omg

4 hours ago, Propaganda said:

I liked Silkworms (Needs those voice effects out and let Axl be Axl (Raw Power/Down on the Farm), needs the 2001 chorus, the Accapela needs to be a little more extended, and they need to go back to the 2001 intro of the song).

Oh My God has the best lyrics ever released of NEW GNR, but Musically I feel we still didn't get a proper mix of it, and a proper solo on the song as well.

OMG has some of my all time favorite Axl lyrics. I dig the new solo a lot

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I fucking love the lyrics to OMG. 

On the polar opposite, ironically since they leaked together, Silkworms might just be the worst thing Axl’s ever written. I cannot fathom what Axl was thinking while writing them. It kills me someone who wrote November Rain and Coma regressed to...that.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

On the polar opposite, ironically since they leaked together, Silkworms might just be the worst thing Axl’s ever written. I cannot fathom what Axl was thinking while writing them. It kills me someone who wrote November Rain and Coma regressed to...that.

Isn't the first time I'll disagree with a fellow GNR fan and it won't be the last lol

• Haha 1

Silkworms would be a great song if it got some serious polish; it's supposed to be punk, sleazy, angry, inaccessible.  The leak version has heavily grown on me, even with it lacking the chorus.

I'd have loved seeing an entire album go in the direction of that and OMG, where Axl completely embraces his industrial obsession.  There's plenty of artists from labels like Wax Trax he could have gotten in touch with for songwriting help.