2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

5 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

In general yes, but I actually think BBF was an upgrade to this song. For this song, the crazier the better.

exact opposite here. I generally prefer BBF, but in the case of OMG, the official version sounds better to me, this BBF solo was way too much over it, doesn't fit the whole song at all.

In my mind, Buckethead/Bumblefoot were intended to be akin to when Frank Zappa hired Steve Vai as a "stunt guitarist."  They noodle, they wank, they spray all over the place.  It's what they were brought on-board to do.

In hindsight, unfortunately for Uncle Axl, the only time this REALLY organically coalesced, if I'm being completely honest, is TWAT, Better, Prostitute (to a lesser degree), and some bits n' bobs of CD (the track).

Things like SOD, Catcher and TiL are modern GnR classics, which didn't need it, and also songs which Axl was shrewd and smart enough to largely keep those two away from.  Bumble's noodling on Catcher pretty much mimics the lyrical style of May's original solo, anyhow

Edited by oneway23

6 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

In my mind, Buckethead/Bumblefoot were intended to be akin to when Frank Zappa hired Steve Vai as a "stunt guitarist."  They noodle, they wank, they spray all over the place.  It's what they were brought on-board to do.

In hindsight, unfortunately for Uncle Axl, the only time this REALLY organically coalesced, if I'm being completely honest, is TWAT, Better, Prostitute (to a degree), and some bits n' bobs of CD (the track).

Things like SOD are modern classics, IMO without the need for wankery.

that's pretty much true, except for one thing - the three-headed guitar hydra GNR was between 2000 and 2015, lacked a true classical rock lead guitarist. so his duties and duties of the rthytm guitarist were kind of split between the stunt guitarist and two more or less rhytm guitarists. Bucket and Bumble were monsters, but they were a different class than, say, Slash. Slash could never compete with those two at their battlefield, but neither could those two at his. and also, with all respect to Robin, Richard and DJ Ashba, none of those was/is a true lead guitarist. they are very very good rhytm guitarists, especially Richard, but see how he struggles hard when required to play some complicated lead. especially at Chinese Democracy (the track) he's forced to play the stunt guitarist's parts and more or less fails miserably. that's just the 2 vs 3 guitarists thing - and while the old GNR material was made for 2 guys, most of ChiDem was made for 3 guys. that's why some ChiDem songs sound quite diluted and stripped down now, at NITL tour - for example ChiDem title track sounded absolutely thick and powerful with 3 guitars, but now it sounds quite shy and while Slash is more or less doing what Bumble was doing while playing rhytms and noodling during the track (which I extremely loved), they both with Richard struggle to play the bones of the track, which was clearly done for 2 guitars kind of "tandem playing" together, while the third guy is doing the noodling around - and it worked nicely back in the day! :)

I loved Bumble's fretless additions to the title track!  I remember being really goosed when they thankfully ended up on the finished record, since they obviously weren't on any leaks we had at the time.  Same with the first solo in IRS, played by Robin, which was also only being played live as of '06.  Anyway, sorry for veering things off-topic.  Feeling a little nostalgic for the times when that era seemed to hold such promise.  Ah, well!

15 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I loved Bumble's fretless additions to the title track!  I remember being really goosed when they thankfully ended up on the finished record, since they obviously weren't on any leaks we had at the time.  Same with the first solo in IRS, played by Robin, which was also only being played live as of '06.  Anyway, sorry for veering things off-topic.  Feeling a little nostalgic for the times when that era seemed to hold such promise.  Ah, well!

yeah, I was listening to the december 2006 LA shows and I was like holy fuck, this is what the title track needed, those fretless licks! I hope they will remain there. and they remained :)

What a few days.

Most interesting thing for me is the Shadow of Your Love thread which is GnR's "new single" has 40 pages at the time of writing, yet the combined total of all the threads of Silkworms / OMG / Going Down '02 / This I Love Remix / Vegas 2001 leaks etc is >90 pages within 3 days.

I appreciate within that there are people searching for the downloads, but even so it goes to show how much genuine interest there still is in CD2, as the leaks aren't anymore "new" than SOYL.

3 hours ago, oneway23 said:

This frenzy of activity from a dead creative entity is fun...The songs are unfortunately a decade more out of date now than they were a decade ago, I'm afraid.

Sad but true. Now they're merely a testament to what could have been had the album dropped somehwere between 1999 and 2002. 

• GNFNR 1

26 minutes ago, tremolo said:

I don’t understand why some are so against that while I consider it to be the most exciting thing to happen to an artist and the fans.

because he did it ruining  maybe the most important band at that time.