2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

9 minutes ago, D.. said:

I think Axl can sound amazing in studio, still. Live, it depends of the show and it depends of the song. He can actually still sound great live. They should shorten the setlists, he clearly can't take 3 hours shows no more, especially when some songs like Coma are so demanding. And it's not like he could ever sing that one properly to begin with, even back in the day. Same goes for You could be mine. I don't know if a human being can sing those songs properly anyway. 

@rocknroll41 yeah, but no, all of those Slash songs go from generic/mediocre to okay (Anastasia is cool). Hard School is miles better than any of it. But cool if you prefer Slash material. I'll stick to Hard School personally. Great lyrics, great voice, great instrumental.

Personally, I think they really need to overhaul the set list and touring schedules going forward. Less is more is definitely the case - would much rather fewer shows at a slightly shorter runtime to give best chance at strong vocals as opposed to what was happening in late 2017/18.

Other bands of similar age etc do the same - and folk have had ample time to catch them on the tour. If the schedule etc is the same going forward it cannot lend itself to being good vocally - regardless of old or any new stuff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D.. said:

I disagree completely, Hard School is proof all of the best material wasn't included on Chinese. I take HS over Scrap, Riad & If the world any day, by far. Even Shackler.

It may actually be in my top 3 CD era songs as of now.

The General sounds extremely promising from what I've figured the cell phone clip.

Still curious about the rest. I'm just surprised that many songs were actually almost finished by early 2001. This lineup was extremely productive.

One song is not enough to back that statement up. Albeit Hardschool should have made the album. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.. said:

But from a pure musical point of view... I feel Axl needed to be angry & disappointed & betrayed to write his best lyrics and sing his best. Just being honest here, I know it sounds harsh.

He's at his best when he's depressed. Which is the case of any true artist. You only write your best material when there's a urge, when you're fucked, when you're desperate, when you're anything but happy.

It depends, Axl's vocals on a lot of CD sound demo quality, most of the 99 vocals just aren't that good. He sounds great on songs like Better and Shacklers because they were recorded later!

55 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Song like Anastasia, Bad Rain, You’re A Lie, and World On Fire all kick Hardschool’s ass imo. That’s not to say that Hardschool is bad, mind you, I just don’t like it as much as those other songs I mentioned. It has potential, but needs work, whereas the other songs I mentioned above (Anastasia in particular) have some of the best guitar I’ve ever heard Slash do... duff is probably a shit songwriter these days tho. That I’d probably have to agree with. How To Be A Man has a cool melody, but the lyrics are corny as hell. That song gave me PTSD flashbacks of So Fine!

I actually put Hardschool on par with Anastasia. Both great songs.

But you're forgetting Slash's best solo song, Ghost! Helps that he had Izzy on that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.. said:

But from a pure musical point of view... I feel Axl needed to be angry & disappointed & betrayed to write his best lyrics and sing his best. Just being honest here, I know it sounds harsh.

He's at his best when he's depressed. Which is the case of any true artist. You only write your best material when there's a urge, when you're fucked, when you're desperate, when you're anything but happy.

I think Axl writes what he knows and his version of what he believes to be the truth. Whether that’s LA in 1986, the double edged sword of success, breakups, etc... he doesn’t just write about those topics, he tells it from his experience.

So unless he has something that affects him personally in his life, the songs probably dry up 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I actually put Hardschool on par with Anastasia. Both great songs.

But you're forgetting Slash's best solo song, Ghost! Helps that he had Izzy on that one.

Personally I've never understood why people like Ghost so much. The opening riff is cool, but for me the whole song is a little boring. I think his songs Beneath the Savage Sun and Lost Inside the Girl are superior to that one,but I will say I've never been one to listen to Stones esque rock type music, I'm mostly a hard rock kinda guy.

10 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Personally I've never understood why people like Ghost so much. The opening riff is cool, but for me the whole song is a little boring. I think his songs Beneath the Savage Sun and Lost Inside the Girl are superior to that one,but I will say I've never been one to listen to Stones esque rock type music, I'm mostly a hard rock kinda guy.

I agree that Ghost is boring. Good guitar interplay between Slash and Izzy, but the vocal melody and lyrics are bland imo.

slash’s solo record with all the different singers sucked. SMKC is where it’s at.

17 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I agree that Ghost is boring. Good guitar interplay between Slash and Izzy, but the vocal melody and lyrics are bland imo.

slash’s solo record with all the different singers sucked. SMKC is where it’s at.

I'm a big Ian Astbury fan, that could be clouding my judgement, but it's a really fun song with a great groove.

Edit: Doctor Alibi also rocks. Lemmy actually sounds good there too, which was rare for late career Lemmy.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

4 hours ago, D.. said:

You are a true fan man. Always thought so.

I've had a hard time accepting Axl reuniting. As of now, I don't care for it. Like, I don't give a fuck about the reunion and I have little faith in the upcoming album on technical terms. I'm sure Axl will sound great and I will listen to it day one, but I think the instrumental will be disappointing if Bucket & Robin are left out.

I know it will sound crazy to some people who are more into the appearance than into the true quality of things, but I really don't care for Slash & Duff. I really have no faith in their abilities to write quality material as of 2019. They were relevant in the 80's/early 90's. But times have changed.

Some people will call me crazy but Hard School, as far as I'm concerned, blows away anything I've heard from Slash & Duff material-wise in the last 10 years.

I love the old school GN'R material, but I have to admit I love the CD material more. I'm just very sensitive to Bucket & Robin's abilities, and I find it miraculous those two were ever in the band at the same time, with fucking Axl Rose fronting that band. How crazy is that? Like really? Robin is kicking asses with NIN, but Axl > Trent any fucking day. And I absolutely LOVE Trent. No bias. He's an amazing musician, vocalist and writer. He's even superior to Axl in some ways. But Axl as a whole, is the fucking real deal. 

I really consider Robin & Bucket as better musicians than Slash & Duff, by far.

I remember Axl saying at some point all of this was like comparing football or basketball teams from a certain era and everyone's gonna have their favorite. He was completely spot on. It's exactly what I'm feeling. I've always rooted for a certain CD lineup (with Buckethead & Robin, and now I even prefer having Josh Freese on the drums over Brian Mantia, crazy).

Also, the lyrics, the words... they have a meaning. I don't buy those CD songs when Axl sings them with Slash & Duff. It's obvious to me a lot of what he's written on CD was directed to Slash & Duff. So it makes absolutely no sense to hear Axl sing some CD tracks live next to Slash & Duff, especially a song like "Sorry".

Por otra parte, estoy feliz de que Axl haya arreglado las cosas con Slash. Es genial. Da el mensaje correcto a mucha gente. Solo por eso, la reunión tuvo que suceder ya que el mundo se está volviendo cada vez más extraño y loco.

Pero desde un punto de vista musical puro ... Siento que Axl necesitaba estar enojado y decepcionado y traicionado para escribir sus mejores letras y cantar lo mejor. Solo siendo honesto aquí, sé que suena duro.

Está en su mejor momento cuando está deprimido. Cuál es el caso de cualquier verdadero artista. Solo escribes tu mejor material cuando hay un impulso, cuando estás jodido, cuando estás desesperado, cuando no eres feliz.

Dado lo que nos ha dado, prefiero que sea feliz y solicitado material mediocre que lo contrario, obviamente. Pero realmente espero que podamos obtener la bóveda de CD en algún momento. Parece más interesante que cualquier cosa próxima / nueva. Y realmente no quiero escuchar a Slash reemplazar las partes de Bucket, por favor. No lo cortará. No tiene el talento.

Y más que eso, Slash ha sido un maldito mentiroso durante años. No lo perdonaré personalmente. No tiene agallas. No puedo disociar al artista del ser humano. El es basura.

I think it's the text that most identifies me with what I think about what happened with guns and the meeting

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I would love to see Axl writing his vocal lines a bit differently on new material. Fewer words, more organic. Stuff you can sing in a live situation without killing yourself. 

And they should definately shorten the live shows, it's all too bloated anyway.

I love the 3.5 hour shows, whats the hurry your already at the arena why would you want to go home sooner.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, moreblack said:

You honestly don't even feel the time be too long, and if you're a bigger gnr fan, you like most of the songs that come next so it's generally a blast.

Yeah I’m glad that the shows are long, but I agree with the person that started the show-length convo that Axl should focus the setlist more on songs that he’s capable of (fewer words, etc.) or write new songs within those capabilities.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 9:04 PM, RussTCB said:

Lol at anyone putting any amount of faith into the person obviously messing with everyone. 

If and when something else of importance leaks it 1) won't come with a bunch of attention seeking shenanigans and 2) definitely won't be leaked by the guy who has nothing left to leak outside of yet another version of Silkworms, which a total of zero people care to hear. 

Listen motherfuckers! - I always find it hilarious that the most likely song to be leaked is the one song that most people think should NOT be heard!

(side note - I actually like Silkworms 😊)

Edited by ToonGuns

Unfortunately I don't really see much room for change with the setlist ... Causals are the majority buyers of tickets ... The NITL setlist is IMO a pretty close to perfect show as you can get while including ChiDem songs ... Sure, there are some Illusions-era songs that Axl may have an easier time with, or would just be cool to hear again, but the casuals want what they want and that's what we get ... Even though Axl struggles with YCBM these days, would it really be a GNR show without it? I for one would love a setlist shakeup & have more Illusions (& ChiDem) but what we've been getting is IMO the best we can & will get .... notwithstanding NEW music of course

And the state of GNR live is 100% a consequence of not releasing new music !!

5 hours ago, D.. said:

You are a true fan man. Always thought so.

I've had a hard time accepting Axl reuniting. As of now, I don't care for it. Like, I don't give a fuck about the reunion and I have little faith in the upcoming album on technical terms. I'm sure Axl will sound great and I will listen to it day one, but I think the instrumental will be disappointing if Bucket & Robin are left out.

I know it will sound crazy to some people who are more into the appearance than into the true quality of things, but I really don't care for Slash & Duff. I really have no faith in their abilities to write quality material as of 2019. They were relevant in the 80's/early 90's. But times have changed.

Some people will call me crazy but Hard School, as far as I'm concerned, blows away anything I've heard from Slash & Duff material-wise in the last 10 years.

I love the old school GN'R material, but I have to admit I love the CD material more. I'm just very sensitive to Bucket & Robin's abilities, and I find it miraculous those two were ever in the band at the same time, with fucking Axl Rose fronting that band. How crazy is that? Like really? Robin is kicking asses with NIN, but Axl > Trent any fucking day. And I absolutely LOVE Trent. No bias. He's an amazing musician, vocalist and writer. He's even superior to Axl in some ways. But Axl as a whole, is the fucking real deal. 

I really consider Robin & Bucket as better musicians than Slash & Duff, by far.

I remember Axl saying at some point all of this was like comparing football or basketball teams from a certain era and everyone's gonna have their favorite. He was completely spot on. It's exactly what I'm feeling. I've always rooted for a certain CD lineup (with Buckethead & Robin, and now I even prefer having Josh Freese on the drums over Brian Mantia, crazy).

Also, the lyrics, the words... they have a meaning. I don't buy those CD songs when Axl sings them with Slash & Duff. It's obvious to me a lot of what he's written on CD was directed to Slash & Duff. So it makes absolutely no sense to hear Axl sing some CD tracks live next to Slash & Duff, especially a song like "Sorry".

Then again, I'm happy Axl settled things with Slash. It's cool. It gives the right message to a lot of people. For that alone, the reunion had to happen as the world is getting stranger and crazier every day.

Given what he's given to us, I prefer for him to be happy and be given mediocre material than the contrary, obviously. But I really hope we get the CD vault at some point. Seems more interesting than anything upcoming/new. And I really don't want to hear Slash replacing Bucket parts, please. He won't cut it. He doesn't have the talent.

And more than that, Slash has been a fucking liar for years. I won't forgive that personally. He has no guts. I can't dissociate the artist from the human being. He's trash.

This is hilarious 

• Like 2

It'd be neat if they did have something planned for the next Terminator flick.  Since this film is being sold as a direct sequel to T2, it'd make sense to bring GNR along for the ride.  If that's the case, then they'd absolutely play it at the upcoming shows. I've been holding out hope that this is what Slash was doing at Axl's studio last spring.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 2

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 3:31 PM, Declan Burke 1994 said:

Do you think Axl monitors this board with a secret second account? 

Dear Axl,

You're rich. I'm not.

Yet, I am willing to give you money.

Release a boxset of the CD demos. I will pay $$$ for this.

Just empty the locker - Beavan demos, RTB demos, all the unreleased stuff. The lot.

What a fascinating way to showcase the most fascinating period of this band. While stopping the leaks, profiting a little from music that, it seems, will end in the public domain anyway, and reward your hard-core fans.

The average fan won't even realise this stuff has been released, so no legacy tarnished. The "Axl Rose Solo Band / original 5 or nothing" fans can choose to listen or not as they see fit (and history cannot be re-written, whatever anybody says). But us, the passionate fans of the "CD era" will be hugely rewarded.

Look at us - scrapping around talking about leaks / demos of songs from 20 years ago (that, incredibly, were recorded only 10 years after UYI).

Yet... Its fascinating. And something to be proud of. Fantastic music.

Edited by ToonGuns
spelling error
  • Like 1